VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Unhappy Lowrance Updates

Looks like my Lowrance Airmap 500 is now a brick at least temporarily; if not permanently:

http://www.lei-extras.com/store/jepp_db.asp

Looks like all the Lowrance Airmap GPS's, including the 600C, 1000, and 2000C, are in the same boat.

I submitted an inquiry to LEI tech support for the latest status, but I have received no response to date.

Does anyone out there have more up-to-date information about the suspension of Lowrance Airmap database updates?

Thanks,

Bill Palmer
Old 08-10-2010, 05:51 PM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Palmer View Post
Looks like my Lowrance Airmap 500 is now a brick at least temporarily; if not permanently:

http://www.lei-extras.com/store/jepp_db.asp

Looks like all the Lowrance Airmap GPS's, including the 600C, 1000, and 2000C, are in the same boat.

I submitted an inquiry to LEI tech support for the latest status, but I have received no response to date.

Does anyone out there have more up-to-date information about the suspension of Lowrance Airmap database updates?

Thanks,

Bill Palmer
It won't be surprising if this matter never reaches resolution since Lowrance is no longer in the aviation market. Hopefully I'm wrong about this but.....

I still fly and like my Airmap 1000 but realize it will be replaced with a different branded unit at some point (when the database gets too obsolete). Fortunately there are some great alternatives available.
track N399SB (KJ4CKK)
Old 08-10-2010, 07:18 PM

There are similar threads on several other aviation boards. Obviously, those of us who are Lowrance owners are SOL the first time our aviation GPS hiccups or when the database gets sufficiently out of date. Honestly, the database isn't a big deal to me, as I flightplan with sectionals, follow my X/C progress on sectionals, etc. The GPS merely leads me to airports, and they don't move around much.

Lowrance walked away from the aviation product market over a year ago. They exited quietly, without giving any indication of their plans for future support. That's always a bad sign.

I had hoped that they would service their fielded products and customers for 3-5 years, but obviously they have written off this business and their good name.

That's gotta burn up the aviation folks at Lowrance, who had built a strong "second banana" position with their products, and had full support until the Lowrance family sold the business (or their remaining interest in the business) a couple of years ago.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:11 PM

Default Jepp updates

I stopped by the Jeppeson tent at Oshkosh this year to get an update for my Lowrance 2000c. I had tried previously to purchase an update via the internet, but I couldn't get the electrons to line up in a straight line and jump onto my SD card. Anyways, the Jeppeson guys told me that Lowrance no longer has updates available - couldn't give me any indication of future availability either.

I'm now the proud owner of a new Anywhere Map Duo.

For Sale - Lowrance 2000c. Works great database expired
#866 on the Van's RV-7 hobbs
#6563 on Van's generic hobbs
Arlington, WA

Tracking

Proud Sponser of =VAF= : 2014
Old 08-11-2010, 04:46 AM

Default Support still available

About a month ago I talked to Lowrance support about getting some parts. I was told they will not sell the parts I wanted, but for $200 I could send my unit in and they would repair whatever was wrong with it.

This doesn't help with the expired database issue but seems you can still keep the unit operational if you want.
F1 EVO Rocket, first flight May 31/14
Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 PM

Love my Lowrance 600C especially the display that shows the cross section through the airspace as I am based under a Class B. Really helps you visualize your climb out and decent in without breaking the Class B. I will continue to use it as long as it works and use my panel mounted GX65 (I know it is old but works great and easy to use) with an up to date database.

(Of coarse there is some of my saliva on Flash's panel when I show it at the Big Show)
Paid yearly since 2007

Last edited by plehrke : 08-11-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:11 PM

Default Bought a Quadra

I received a response from LEI tech support; it was the same as the website notice, word-for-word.

Gave up and bought a Quadra!

Thanks for the responses!

Bill
Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 AM

Default lowrance updates

I just spoke with Craig at Lowrance, according to what he said, they are just not going to make them any more, but they still will service them. They are getting out of the avaition market. However, he assured me that there will still be updates available, and that they will not be stranding anyone. This is good news to me because I have two 2000c's! He also told me to check the website for further updates as they become available.
EAA 229 President
RV-3 flying
RV-4 building
Old 08-17-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaitor87 View Post
He also told me to check the website for further updates as they become available.
Which site? LEI, Lowrance, other?
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp & Wings done - working on fuselage - finish kit received

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 08-17-2010, 01:42 PM

Default lowrance

sorry; it is the Lowrance site. Also found a good site for buying parts and stuff for all makes of GPS's: gpsgeek.com. got a real good deal on a remote antenna for my unit.
EAA 229 President
RV-3 flying
RV-4 building