What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kate's panel-to-subpanel cover for tip-ups?

Garage Guy

Well Known Member
A while back on the front page DR wrote:

"Oh, and the little cover for the back of the panel made out of nylon and velcro'd into place? Monkey's wife Kate made that custom for me - I have the prototype. I think she will be offering them in the future - somewhere around forty bucks. If you're interested you can email the Monk."​

Well I emailed the Monk about it but no reply. Any update on pricing or availability? I want one!

--Paul

I am thinking of making the one. I saw it behind Tanya's 22C neat and looks easy to make. I have the pictures if you need them.

I am thinking of making the one. I saw it behind Tanya's 22C neat and looks easy to make. I have the pictures if you need them.

Just to be clear, Tanya's is original. Yours can be too with only a couple hours of effort with scissors and velcro from the local fabric store. I ordered the material from a sail-making place online. It is super light weight and waterproof. Make yourself a paper pattern first, just to be sure of the details before slicing and dicing.

Contact Kate via email at....

monkey 'at' vansairforce 'dot' net (her husband's email account)

....if you want her to make you a cover.

Here's mine (the prototype):

ConfiguringPanel-018[1].jpg

Last edited:
Tipup Cover like Doug's

Hey Everybody!

It's Kate, Monkey's wife. I'm now set up to start making the tipup covers like I made for Doug to cover all those instrument wires.

As of right now, I offer them in medium gray or black ripstop nylon with 1" wide black Velcro. Other colors will be offered later and will be considered special order. All will cost $45 (US) unless other special options are requested. We can only accept payment by check right now. Make them payable to Richmond Aircraft Service and mail to 11563 Airway Blvd., Roanoke, TX 76262

I will be replying to everyone who has emailed Monkey or Doug this week. Everyone else can email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks for the support!!

Just a quick but huge thank you to Kate for the speedy service in despatching a cover.

I fly longhaul and my trips to FL sometimes only last 24 hours so collecting parts from my buddy in Z Hills is a busy time - especially when we need to fit in beer, food, lies and tall stories as well......

Anyhow, a call went to Kate, she stepped up, delivered and I recieved just in time.

Great service, great quality - Thanks :p

Assembly Required?

Doug, Kate,

Got the cover, but have a question. I assume you strip the rubber seal allowing the forward part of the cover to attach to metal. Then do you add the seal back on top of the edge of the cover?

Thanks,

Mark

How long did it take you guys to get yours? I sent Kate money on 8/17 (probably got it 8/20-21), and haven't heard anything since. I emailed her 9/2...still no response.

They busy/out of town? Anyone know? I'm not worried about the money or not getting a cover, just wondering if anyone knows...Doug?

Thanks!

I'll bet she has lot's of orders. I ordered mine a couple weeks ago and also am waiting. They're custom made, so I am sure it will take some time to get them out. She's probably wondering what she's gotten herself into.

Last edited:
Kates Kover

Mark,
The rubber seal works really well and didn't want to mess with it. I just installed it under the lip as you can see in the picture.

Thanks Kate

katescover.jpg

Gary
N715AB

Delivery Time

Don't worry. My check was cashed with lightning speed, but the cover took a little longer. I'm blaming it on the USPS.

Mark

Attach on top or under instrument panel flange?

For those that have bought Kate's covers . . . did you find that you have enough clearance to attach the Velcro strip on top of the instrument panel as DR has done it and still allow the canopy to close without interference?

Thanks for your input - Mark

Yes

For those that have bought Kate's covers . . . did you find that you have enough clearance to attach the Velcro strip on top of the instrument panel as DR has done it and still allow the canopy to close without interference?

Thanks for your input - Mark

Yes--plenty of room.

Same problem

I traded a couple of e-mails with Kate over this. I recognized that I did not have clearance between tip up frame and the top of the panel, so I passed on ordering one. I only have about .04"clearance. I discussed attaching to the bottom of the angle (sewing the Velcro to the top side of the cover) but the Velcro Kate uses is 1", so it would stick out from under the angle and not look very good. Velcro would need to be 1/2"-5/8" probably. I am still interested if she offers narrower Velcro in the future.

Thanks
Alan Jackson
Hartselle, AL

I traded a couple of e-mails with Kate over this. I recognized that I did not have clearance between tip up frame and the top of the panel, so I passed on ordering one. I only have about .04"clearance. I discussed attaching to the bottom of the angle (sewing the Velcro to the top side of the cover) but the Velcro Kate uses is 1", so it would stick out from under the angle and not look very good. Velcro would need to be 1/2"-5/8" probably. I am still interested if she offers narrower Velcro in the future.

Thanks
Alan Jackson
Hartselle, AL
Kate contacted me a few days ago and asked if I wanted the cover to attach to the top or bottom of that angle, so maybe she has that worked out. I picked the bottom as I also don't think I have clearance enough for it to go on top.

I'm happy with mine

DSC07203.jpg

I don't know why there have to be a minimum number of words, but here they are.

Will this cover work with the -7 & -9? I ask because there the distance between the panel and sub-panel on the -9 is 8.5", which is slightly greater than the -6.

Hey RVers!!!

Hey guys!

It?s Kate here with an update on the covers I?m making for everyone out there. I know it?s taking more time than you all thought it would and I am making progress, one cover at a time. I have literally hundreds of orders so I need everyone to know that I will get caught up and you will get your cover eventually. Please accept my sincerest apologies for this taking so long. I sew each one myself in my dining room and can only manage to make a couple a day with all the other things I have to do. If for some reason, some of you out there can?t wait or have changed your mind, drop me an email at [email protected] and I will refund your money ASAP.

Again, I?m so sorry it?s taking me so long but I will get everyone?s order out. Please, please, please don?t email or call Monkey about these covers. He is way too busy to be involved. This is my project so if you need to get in touch with me, send me an email and I will get back to you.

Thanks so much again for everyone's support!!!!

Will this cover work with the -7 & -9? I ask because there the distance between the panel and sub-panel on the -9 is 8.5", which is slightly greater than the -6.

I heard back from Kate on this and here was her reply:
KatesKovers said:
Yes, the pattern for the RV-6 is very different from the RV-7/9. I also offer additional slits on the hinge side of the cover to accommodate antenna/GPS wires if you need them. I have several different patterns for each style with additional options factored in. Yes, my medium gray is my most popular color but I also offer black, which goes with everything.

Best to measure your panel to subpanel distance and tell Kate when you order. Older 6's have a 6 inch gap according to plans. Newer 6's and 7's have something more like a 7.5 inch gap, and 9's are different yet again. Kate made a very nice fitting cover for our older 6 after we gave her the measured distance, but the designed-for-7's cover was too wide to fit very well.

--Paul

Best to measure your panel to subpanel distance and tell Kate when you order. Older 6's have a 6 inch gap according to plans. Newer 6's and 7's have something more like a 7.5 inch gap, and 9's are different yet again. Kate made a very nice fitting cover for our older 6 after we gave her the measured distance, but the designed-for-7's cover was too wide to fit very well.

--Paul
Paul,

I'm not so sure that is correct. The -7 & -9 share the same parts, ribs, canopy, etc. thus that distance is the same.

Feedback from others?

I was notified she got payment from me 5 weeks ago for four covers.

Now I cant even get an email response to my inqueries on when they might be ready :( Anyone know what the deal is? Emails get no reply at all for the last couple weeks. Hmmmmmmmmm I can understand being busy...but this isnt looking good now.

I was notified she got payment from me 5 weeks ago for four covers.

Now I cant even get an email response to my inqueries on when they might be ready :( Anyone know what the deal is? Emails get no reply at all for the last couple weeks. Hmmmmmmmmm I can understand being busy...but this isnt looking good now.

Well, we paid for ours in early August, and last email was 10/27 saying she was getting "closer" to getting caught up.

Now's the time I'm starting to expect *product* to arrive...

I go to the airport sometime May-June 2011. I do not need the cover till then. May be even later, send mine for needy :)

Kate,

I talked to you at LOE about making the covers in a tan color. Any luck with finding the material? I'm still very much interested in getting one.

I will say the pics of them look terrific, and I'm looking forward to receiving mine!

They are terrific. Really nice, especially considering the price.

The price and quality is why Kate is overloaded with orders.

That and the fact that I slowed her down with a bunch of emails trying to figure out why my RV-6 has a different panel-to-subpanel spacing than others :eek:.

--Paul

Kate,

You have done 2 for me - both arrived when and where I requested.

They both fit and we are very happy.

Guys - order, support the small business, allow for some delay, it is worth it for a top class solution.

If not............

Go do your own and sell them :cool:

I received my "Kates Kover" today. I have to say the quality is VERY, VERY good. It's light weight, simple and should be perfect for it's function.

Now it'll just warm up a bit so I can go install it! :(

I did have to wait several months, but that's aviation for you. Hurry up and wait.

I will post a PIREP once I get it installed.

I wonder if she is still making the covers. I sent several emails over the last few months and I have not received a response. I understand the are very nice.
Thanks,

Tad

I ordered one many months ago. She did email me back quite a while after my order request. I haven't heard anything for several months now. I can do without that kind of service and have given up on trying to get one from her. I'm glad she never requested the money!

Really sorry

Hi guys,

I am really sorry it's taking me so long to get these covers out. I'm having trouble staying motivated. I keep having to stop and work on a different project and then it's really hard to get started again. Especially when I hit a big road block (not being able to find a nice tan fabric).

I know it's really frustrating having to wait so long but I am trying. I just keep getting sidetracked.

Please have faith in me. I will get everyone's cover done eventually. Don't blame Doug or Monkey. My issues don't have anything to do with them. They thought I was ready for this and I guess I wasn't. :(

Thanks,
Kate

Appreciation

Thanks Kate,

I was beginning to think it was a US-Australian thing when I hadn't heard back from you after several emails ;-)

Sincerely hoping you can find the right place to stay motivated on this project. I am still really looking forward to having a graphite one for my RV-7 Tip-up.

Cheers, Greg Blakey (Australia)

339A Cover

Hi Kate,

Sent you an e-mail the other day. Just trying to get an update on my cover. I will be in Houston next week and have to leave the plane outside at KDWH. Don't want those expensive Garmin radios getting wet. :( Let me know how long before I can see one.

Thanks,

If it helps with the motivation, and for those thinking of getting one, the one you made for me is *very, very* nice. First-class work, and will truly add to the high quality look of the plane (while also being very functional and protecting my investment).

Keep at it...as a customer, I am very impressed with the workpiece!

Steve

Back