What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ifly 700

glennfrels

I'm New Here
Anyone have any updated info on the Ifly 700. I always thought flying over a sectional would be the way to go for a gps. If you own one, would you recommend it over any other gps. Thanks, Glenn

Geo-referencing ...

I saw the unit in one of the hangar buildings. Very nice and intuitive interface (for the short time I was able to use it at the booth). At $500 plus $69 per year for updates, it is priced right.

Only thing is that it is not yet geo-referenced. You would not be able to use it as a gps display with the airplane showing it's position on the map. I was told that the maps will be available geo-referenced in the near future and that the capability will be made available to all.

I have the IFLY700 and I like it. For $69 a year you always have updated charts. It does show you on the chart with a moving display. It is pretty cool for the price. I also have a garmin 396 mounted in my panel. If you are use to track up it might be a problem. I look at track up on the garmin and north up on the IFLY and it does not bother me. As you fly it gives you a degrees left/degrees right off course update. You can punch on the screen and create a waypoint. Its easier to use than the garmin. I have only had it about 1 month, but I really like it. I am working on my IFR rating, and it has current approach plates in the database, and low enroute charts. I have not used it that much. When they get live weather on it, it will be the ticket. I have xm radio and weather on the garmin, and I cannot give that up. Also, you have to buy a seperate battery for it, so it will not turn on with out the masterswitch on. I dont have the battery yet.

I have it mounted on the right side window facing my copilot. She likes it. She thinks we would get lost without a gps.

Only thing is that it is not yet geo-referenced. You would not be able to use it as a gps display with the airplane showing it's position on the map. I was told that the maps will be available geo-referenced in the near future and that the capability will be made available to all.

My understanding is that the sectionals and low enroute charts ARE geo-referenced, but the approach plates and airport diagrams are not (yet). I have one and like it very much. Apparently they are working on a NMEA output for autopilots, that will complete the package for me...

At the I-Fly booth at OSH, I was told that currently the sectionals are only available in North Up view, but the company got so much feedback on the need for Track Up, they will make TU available in the near future.

They said that it was about 50/50 for preferences between NU and TU.

they will make TU available in the near future.

Keep in mind that when they do offer "track-up" the lettering on the map will not be "up" unless you are flying north. It will be just like rotating a sectional.

I talked to the owner of I-Fly to see if he would be willing to provide database updates for the freeware flight planner that I created called AirPlan. I have not been able to provide database updates since the DAFIF went away, but he has the ability to read data from the ARINC formatted database that the FAA puts out. I am hoping that he works with me since users of the I-Fly system could use AirPlan for desktop planning, and then transfer their route to the I-Fly.

Dean Wilkinson
CTO, AeroLEDs LLC

Keep in mind that when they do offer "track-up" the lettering on the map will not be "up" unless you are flying north. It will be just like rotating a sectional.

Correct. That was pointed out to me at the booth, as well. I believe I was told that you could flip back and forth between North up and Track up as necessary, much as you do with a sectional if you have trouble reading it while holding it in the Track up orientation.

Geo-Ref Sectionals on AnywhereMap

I use geo-referenced sectionals on my AnywhereMap SST. For hand-flying a course, the Track Up mode is the most intuitive. For those times when I want to read something on the map, it's one tap for North Up, then one more tap to switch back. Also, on a recent 5000nm 2.5-week trip, my wife got pretty good at keeping up on the paper sectionals, so I could just sneak a peek there.;)

BTW, AnywhereMap offers Sectionals, Enroutes, terrain, and software ugrades , all for $115/year or $395/lifetime. Another $145/year or $395 lifetime gets you get geo-referenced approach plates.

Autopilot Output

I was told that autopilot output is possible, however they don't have the coding yet and there may be a problem with insurance. Never thought about it before, but it makes sense. They said it's one thing to have a moving map GPS and an entirely different issue to be sending data to an autopilot.
For situational awareness and what must be the cheapest database update it's a really good deal.

Back