Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-28-2006, 07:13 PM

Default DRDT-2's Helping Builders Dimple

Congratulations to Tom Maxwell!
"With help from instructors Mike Crowe and Jacob Biang, Tom Maxwell has become the 200th person to complete his tail group at the RV Sheet Metal Workshop." Notice the DRDT-2 in the photo. (I honestly had nothing to do with this picture.)

DRDT-2’s are in use in builder assistance workshops and aircraft repair facilities across the country. Several DRDT-2’s have been put into service in an aircraft factory in Europe and countless DRDT-2’s are in builder’s shops around the world helping them build their dream.

DRDT-2 owners, please provide feedback on your experiences with the tool so that other builders who have not used the DRDT-2 may benifit. Be honest with the good, the bad and the ugly. Hopefully not too much bad and ugly.
RV-7A (Flying since 2010)/RV-4 (sold 1990)
Tucson, Arizona 85749
Old 02-28-2006, 07:41 PM

Smile DRDT-2 Dimpler

I just finished the emennage for my RV-9 and used the DRDT for the entire assembly. When I purchased a tool kit from Cleveland I ordered it without the C-frame and bought the DRDT direct. I therefore don't have much experience with the C-frame. I can tell you that I love the DRDT. I bought the entire unit with front end and frame. The tube steel frame is quality made and has a great powder coat finish. I easily dimpled all of the empenage skins myself by holding the sheet metal with one hand running the dimpler with the other. You can really do some fast dimpling on skins. I made a nice carpeted table per the instructions that came with the dimpler. I'll probably need to enlarge the table for the wing skins. I still mount the Cleveland hand squeezer in the vice to dimple ribs though. It seems like the cost for the entire unit was only about $100 than a C-frame. When you figure that your spending $2000 on starter tools, what's another $100 for no noise dimpling without a sore elbow! I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND the DRDT-2 Dimpler.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:42 PM

Default I am a very satisfied customer

I bought one last month. When i ordered there was a waiting list and Paul built, packed, and shipped the unit faster than I expected. The packing job was very professional and the instructions for assembly were well laid out and easy to understand. I was able to start dimpling like an assembly line within an hour of delivery. Every handle pull is a perfect dimple - even my 10 year old can do it with consistent results. With really large skins it helps to have someone else positioned to pull the handle - I have short arms (ok., I have short legs and body too ..._). I recommend the tool and Paul's service to any builder wanting to really speed up and almost automate one of the more mundane tasks - dimpling 500 holes in each wing. You can see my -10 project, with the tool, at: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....on&project=120
Old 02-28-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Product add-on idea?

After leaving my post I thought that maybe an optional "extension" handle would be a possible product idea. Some of the skins are large and it's difficult to work alone (if with long arms) and reach the handle if the skin is very wide. Maybe a handle that could slip on the shorter on temporarily?

Hey, I know, I have a TON of aluminum sitting around in my shop ....
Old 02-28-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Another DRDT-2 Fan

I have nothing but good words to add about the DRDT-2. Great tool. Well built and well worth it. I pictured my clobbering a skin with the hammer and the C frame! Dimpling is very well controlled with the DRDT-2. Didn't even dimple a finger........

Also, enjoyed meeting Paul. Ya oughta see this guy's workshop- and nearly completed RV-7.

Roger
RV-9 Empennage
Old 02-28-2006, 08:03 PM

Thumbs up

I wasn't number 200 with Jacob or Mike but I have used and because of, bought a DRDT-2. I can't wait to use it again. I have nothing but praise for the unit.
N825TW reserved
Old 02-28-2006, 08:36 PM

Default Drdt2

Paul,

See my post of tonight labeled Drdt2. Posted just minutes before this thread began. I am very pleased with the DRDT2 and will retire the c frame dimpler as of today!!!

Thanks,
Old 02-28-2006, 09:06 PM

Red face Mine

Actually, I am somewhat embarassed by all of the press this picture and article is getting.

But just to comment on the DRDT-2, the one in this picture is mine and I took it with me to the Alexander center. Their philosophy is, "We have all of the tools, but if you want to bring yours to get accustomed to them, bring em on." Having it in the picture is just a coincidence but that doesn't deminish the usefullness of this tool.

Jacob graciously found a couple of clamps and clamped my DRDT-2 down on a spare table. I used it quite extensively on airframe parts but not much on the skins. The center has a DRDT-1 with a very nice and large surrounding table that worked great for the skins. I am sure the 2 will work just as nicely on the skins once I get it bolted down and a table built around it.

The DRDT is (are) definitely nicely made. They are very heavy duty and work smoothly. Mike and Jacob played with my 2 while I was at the center and they both think it is a nice tool as well. After using it, I can't imagine standing around smashing a C-Frame with a hammer all afternoon. The 2 is very smooth, accurate, and quiet.

My only niggle is that I would prefer a little more spring tension to facilate a more positive return of the handle away from the skin. The set-up, as I received it, has just enough spring tension to hold the handle in a static position. There isn't enough tension to raise the handle and the die away from the skin. It works fine as is, but it does require a positive force to raise the handle. I will tighten the springs just a little to give them a little more umph.

Overall a great product that I am happy I purchased. It will get a lot of use on my SB project.

Now enough with the picture already, OK!
N512TC
Old 02-28-2006, 09:11 PM

Default pleased also

I ordered my tool kit from Isham's at the beginning of December and went with the free DRDT-2 upgrade. I've seen but not used a C-frame, but can definately say I am well please with the DRDT-2! It's quiet, (keeps the wife happy) consistent, (keeps me happy) and very fast. I dimpled the elevator skins in about 10 minutes with my wife to help hold the sheets. About 5 minutes per. I'm totally happy that decided on this tool.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:41 PM

Default DRDT2 Dimpler

I have used a "c" frame dippler and although it worked well , it was slightly awkward. This experence was at a work shop (which I reccomend). The drdt2 dimple tool has had nothing but great reviews, I plan on ordering it with an Avery kit tomorrow. Benches are almost complete, tools on order soon...