VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 AM

Default How to wash an RV?

What is the best stuff to use to wash a RV? Like getting the bugs off and the under side of the plane that gets a little oily. Any place on the plane not to spray water on? I was told not to use simple green on my RV. Is this true?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:27 AM

Regular Simple Green attacks aluminum. There is an aircraft grade that works well, but is a tad pricey.

I use 409 on the belly to get oil off.
RV-15 : High Wing E-LSA On Order, w/ Removable Door Option.

Last edited by Geico266 : 07-18-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geico266 View Post
Regular Simple Green attcks aluminum. There is an aircraft grade that works well, but is a tad pricey.

I use 409 on the belly to get oil off.
I buy the aircraft version of Simple Green (Boeing spec) from Aircraft Spruce. It's $18.95 for a gallon jug, and around $7 for shipment. But it's concentrated and you add at least 50% water. This will last a long time. It was available at Home Depots for a while in 32 oz. spray bottles (Simple Green Extreme), but doesn't seem to be, anymore.

L.Adamson --- RV6A
Old 07-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geico266 View Post
Regular Simple Green attacks aluminum.
Here's a quote from Simple Green's website

"Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and Simple Green® Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances."
Old 07-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apkp777 View Post
Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and Simple Green® Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances."
And if I knew for sure that the Pro HD version is the same or about the same as the Extreme version, then I'd use it too. I have a gallon, and just use it for the fiberglass parts. It's still available at Home Depot. It just doesn't have that Boeing spec listing.

L.Adamson --- RV6A
Old 07-18-2010, 01:05 PM

Wow I did not know that simple green was so hard on stuff. I don't know where I have been. I have been using it on my rotor blades and tail for a long time. I hope I have not hurt anything. How would you know? I just got my plane so I will stop using it on it. Hopefully when I am at Oshkosh I can pick up the right stuff. Is that why when they hand out the free sample's at Oshkosh it is yellow? I did pick up some 409 cleaner today but I think I got the wrong stuff. It is blue and says it will clean glass. It looks like glass cleaner to me.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:46 PM

Will probably get told we're wrong but the stuff that comes out of the tap ("faucet") works well on bugs, and the stuff in the tanks deals with the oil

Andy
Old 07-18-2010, 04:04 PM

Water on bugs, no problem with a little wax on the plane. I use Carbon-X on the belly diluted 4 parts water to 1 part Carbon-X. Plane cleans in 5 minutes.
Paid yearly since 2007
Old 07-18-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hill View Post
Will probably get told we're wrong but the stuff that comes out of the tap ("faucet") works well on bugs, and the stuff in the tanks deals with the oil

Andy
Andy,

Due respect and all, but Mineral Spirits better and much safer than the "stuff in the tanks"

YMMV

RV-7a 707DD Bot from David Domeier 12/01/11
Lycoming IO-360 Catto 3 blade Panel upgrade in progress

RV6a 55** Rebuild in progress

RV6a 18XP 1st flite 03/21/07 sold to Dale Walter 10/22/2011
Superior IO-360, Hartzell Blended, GRT/Dynon

"There are lies, damnable lies, and statistics"..
Mark Twain
Old 07-18-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hill View Post

Andy
Add a few table spoons of 409 or Fantastic to the water in a spray bottle and the bugs clean off much easier. Makes the water wetter.
RV-15 : High Wing E-LSA On Order, w/ Removable Door Option.