What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another RV-4 canopy takes to the sky

RBD

Well Known Member
Unlike most "first flight" announcements, mine isn't one that I'm too proud of. That's right, I joined a club that I really didn't want to ever join - those who failed to secure their canopy, and subsequently blew it off. Fortunately for me, mine departed the aircraft on the take-off roll and considering what could have happened, the whole thing was fairly uneventful. I was also fortunate that the canopy didn't hit me or the empennage on it's way off AND landed right side up before sliding down the paved runway - I think it's salvageable, but it's going to take some work.

The flight: It seems that most others who have been down this road have had something out the ordinary (be it their own doing or some external cause) introduced to their usual pre-takeoff routine, as did I. For me, it was my little Flip pocket videocamera. I have never brought it in the plane before, but decided that yesterday morning would be a good time to do so. My RV-4 canopy is equipped with a taxi latch, and the canopy is always in that position until I do my run-up, at which point I drop the canopy and lock it in place. Not so yesterday. I got in, strapped in, fired up, and then turned to mount the camera where I wanted it - just to the right of me on the roll bar support tube. I then closed the canopy to make sure the camera would clear, it did. I left the canopy down and began my taxi for departure. Again, I never taxi with the canopy down. Once at the runway, I did my usual run-up, went through my mental pre-takeoff checklist, which included confirming the canopy was secured. I looked over at the yellow knob to confirm that it was back, but I didn't touch it to make sure. In hindsight, I realized that although it was back, it was only back to the point where the pins are just entering their holes; the latch needed to be pulled back another inch or so to full engage the pins. Anyhow, I announced my intentions, pulled onto the runway, applied full power, got the tail up...and watched in horror as the canopy raised and immediately ripped off. I instinctively ducked as the canopy came off and next thing I knew I was well on my way for a ground loop. I was able to arrest the rotation will full rudder, but ended up veering off the runway and into the grass. Shut down, got out, and picked up the pieces to my canopy, pride, and my trusty VAF hat - all of which were littered on the runway. It's been a very humbling experience.

The canopy: All four bottom corners of the canopy skirt received minor damage (bending really) but should be able to be straightened out. The bubble is good. The frame and cross-member (the support that goes behind the rollbar) are not. My canopy was attached with a gas strut that attached to the cross-member, which was folded in half when the canopy blew. This also broke some of the tubing/welds in the canopy frame. The piano hinge and soft rivets did exactly what they were designed to do. I'm glad their is no real damage to the airplane.

Sad sight:
photo-2.jpg

Here you can see how the cross member buckled when the gas strut yanked free:
photo%202.jpg

Damage caused by the cross-member buckling. Part of the canopy frame will need to be replaced.
photo%203.jpg

Amazingly, this is the worst of the damage to the canopy skirt:
photo%204.jpg

Now for the asking for help part. As I didn't build this plane or any others, I don't have the tools or skills to make this right. I'd like to find someone somewhat local (central FL) to work on this for or with me. I think the frame can be fixed. A foot long piece of tubing will need to be welded in to replace the section that was ripped out by the cross-member. Unfortunately, that means that the bubble will likely have to come off. A new cross-member will also obviously need to be made/installed. I think the skirts are ok. It's going to be a bit of project, but I'm guessing that it's better than starting from scratch. Anyhow, if anyone is interested (or has any recommendations) in making some $$$ while simultaneously helping a fellow RVer, please send me a PM.

Last edited:
Wow, I guess you don't need me to tell you how lucky you were not to be hurt or worse and not to having significant airframe damage in the process. I reckon we would be reading a very different post had that occurred whilst airborne.

This is one of the main reasons that despite having about 100 hours on type I will always reach into the map pocket for the checklist and run through it at all stages of flight, with the exception of Bumpfish, I'm not that keen on fumbling around the cockpit mid downwind; I guess I could pull it out prior to entering the circuit, but it's easy enough to remember, and I'd prefer to keep my head outside the cockpit at that point of flight.

Welcome to the club

RBD

Good to hear that you are OK. I lost mine 5 weeks ago and it was not latched due to a distraction also. I now have a red warning light on the instrument panel that is illuminated any time the master is on and the canopy is not fully latched. $18 for a red warning LED from ACS and $3 for a micro switch. I had not build my aircraft also but I build and installed a new Todd's canopy in 13 days and 95 hours. I could not reuse my old canopy because I have yet to find it and figured after a 1000 ft fall it was useless. The practice of using a gas strut to hold the canopy open is worrisome. The canopy has to be able to break free of the aircraft if it comes open. I designed a light weight hold open brace which should easily break free. You can order the canopy frame cross member by itself from Van's. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Glad that you are ok and absolutely amazing how minimal the damage was to the canopy- landing upright, not rolling or bouncing and no scratches, wow.:)

I use my written checklist on every flight. I'm sure I'd forget a few things every time without it!

To clarify the checklist aspect of this mishap, I did go through my mental pre-takeoff checklist (which I realize isn't really a checklist at all, as it is way too easy to forget a step,) which included confirming that the canopy was latched. What really got me was not confirming that the canopy was latched by touching it. Looking at the knob didn't do a whole lot to confirm that it was latched, and all that it would have taken to prevent this self-induced accident was to move my hand a few inches from the throttle quadrant to the canopy latch lever and give it a good tug to make sure it was back. My failure to perform this two second action cost me a month's worth of flying (I hope I can get it fixed it within a month) and a yet to be determined amount of money....not to mention this could have killed me and/or someone else.

Although the lack of a real checklist wasn't really the problem here, I will definitely be creating one before I fly again. I will also make it a point to positively confirm via touch every action on the checklist. Live and learn...

Thanks for this

What really got me was not confirming that the canopy was latched by touching it.

I do actually give the knob a tug every time, but sometimes when I do it I think "that's stupid, I KNOW it is latched".

I appreciate the confirmation that it is not a stupid thing to do. I'll keep on tugging!

So since the original distraction was your video camera any chance you caught the event on camera???

Nope! I was really hoping I did, but apparently hit the wrong button before I pulled onto the runway.

I appreciate the confirmation that it is not a stupid thing to do. I'll keep on tugging!
Please do. I posted all of this in hopes that in some small way it help prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

Glad you are OK

Wow, I can imagine this was very humbling and I for one appreciate how open you are about the situation and the events that led up to it. Just did some tailwheel training this weekend and it sounds like you did an incredible job of avoiding more serious damage to your plane. Good luck with the repair process.

I will never forget my instrument instructor making me give the door a hard push at the point farthest away from the hinge just to make sure that all of the latches were set properly. Still do it every time just before power advance.

Again, glad you are OK. Keep us posted.

Dad's Long EZ, which had a tip-over canopy similarto the RV-4, had a light and beeper / alarm that would sound if the throttle was advanced without the canopy locked.

Some sort of AV warning is probably warranted for a "killer item" like this.

I feel like the tippers and sliders of the later RVs are a little less at risk if take off is initiated with the canopy unlocked. Can lead to an accident, I know, but it seems like it would fly OK with the canopy partially open. Do the -6, 7,8,9, 12 builders agree?

I say thanks to guys like RBD and tturner who have the candor to help us all learn from their experiences. I searched long and hard to find first hand accounts of canopy loss and came up empty, only finding these while searching for something else. I had bungee cords on my canopy when I bought it which I removed. I would love to hear how RBD's canopy replacement worked out in the long run.

Thanks again,

Jim

Nope! I was really hoping I did, but apparently hit the wrong button before I pulled onto the runway.
Since you're okay, and the parts can be fixed, i'd say that not catching it on video is the real tragedy of this incident. :p

Having spent my life living events similar to what happened to you, I've modified my behavior somewhat. When I realize a potential to forget a step in a procedure, I tie it to something else to trigger the event. In this case there are times when I taxi with my canopy closed and times when I taxi with it propped open for cooling. When ever I close the canopy, I latch it right then and there. The actions are tied together so one can never happen without the other. Some other actions that can be tied together would be setting the prop to fine when you first start lowering the flaps. In my "other" flying I retract the landing lights only when I make the final flap retration. This idea even extends to things like putting away sunglasses and headsets. The headset is only on my head or in my flight bag, never hanging in the cockpit. Sunglasses, samething.

Glad to see this was a minor incident.

-Andy

I feel like the tippers and sliders of the later RVs are a little less at risk if take off is initiated with the canopy unlocked. Can lead to an accident, I know, but it seems like it would fly OK with the canopy partially open. Do the -6, 7,8,9, 12 builders agree?

Numerous pilots in numerous different models of RV's have proven your statement correct.

The old saying "Fly the Airplane" fits this situation just as much as any other that I can think of.

I say thanks to guys like RBD and tturner who have the candor to help us all learn from their experiences. I searched long and hard to find first hand accounts of canopy loss and came up empty, only finding these while searching for something else. I had bungee cords on my canopy when I bought it which I removed. I would love to hear how RBD's canopy replacement worked out in the long run.

Thanks again,

Jim

Thanks Jim. Though a humbling thing to post about, I did so with the hope of helping to prevent someone else from making the same bone-headed mistake. A local RVer, Mike Bauer, helped me repair the canopy to an airworthy condition, and I continued to fly it for a year or so before selling the plane to the original builder. He has plans to replace the entire canopy.

Since you're okay, and the parts can be fixed, i'd say that not catching it on video is the real tragedy of this incident. :p
Agreed! :D

Having spent my life living events similar to what happened to you, I've modified my behavior somewhat. When I realize a potential to forget a step in a procedure, I tie it to something else to trigger the event. In this case there are times when I taxi with my canopy closed and times when I taxi with it propped open for cooling. When ever I close the canopy, I latch it right then and there. The actions are tied together so one can never happen without the other. Some other actions that can be tied together would be setting the prop to fine when you first start lowering the flaps. In my "other" flying I retract the landing lights only when I make the final flap retration. This idea even extends to things like putting away sunglasses and headsets. The headset is only on my head or in my flight bag, never hanging in the cockpit. Sunglasses, samething.

Glad to see this was a minor incident.

-Andy

Good point, Andy. One of the biggest things I learned was to make sure to touch everything during the checklist as opposed to just looking at it (and to actually use a REAL checklist - a mental checklist is extremely prone to failure).

Not really...

First of all the numerous RV-4 (and I presume -3?) pilots who have lost the canopy all seem to have survived (?) with damage limited largely to pride and canopy. One might add Extra pilots to that as well, and I am sure other types.

Secondly, "we" (the other type pilots) have debates on here re the merits of wearing and using parachutes. One "concern" is could we jump out anyway if we chose? The canopies are non-jettisonable, and air loads seem to want to shut them... The RV-4 incidents show the RV-4 design far superior in that aspect ;)

Warning light.

Several -10's have lost doors as well, some with substantial damage to the tailcone, where it was "kinked" on the opposite side from the hit to the stab!

To that end, I have warning lights if any door or baggage door is open.

My buddy hangared his -4 in my hangar and it seems to me that a simple microswitch could be added under the longeron rail, to be activated by the latch, driving a big red light on the dash if it's not locked.

I also have "Check doors and lights" on my checklist. So the "Press to test" function gets used to verify warning light operation as well.

Best,

I feel like the tippers and sliders of the later RVs are a little less at risk if take off is initiated with the canopy unlocked. Do the -6, 7,8,9, 12 builders agree?

Agreed. I have done one takeoff with the canopy of my 6A slider unlatched very shortly after starting to fly the RV. Result was a lot of noise, about a half inch gap, and nothing else. I did a quick circuit, landed, corrected the problem, vowed to never do that again, and took off again. Bit of a non-event fortunately.

More photos pls

Ryan,

do you have more detailed photos of the damage to the soft rivet line that let loose during separation?

I would be very interested to see those.

Thanks again,

Jim

Ryan,

do you have more detailed photos of the damage to the soft rivet line that let loose during separation?

I would be very interested to see those.

Thanks again,

Jim
Jim, I'd have to look on my computer at home, but there really isn't much to see - just a line of holes on the longeron where there was once a strip of piano hinge. I also learned that the rivets aren't "soft" like I originally thought (can you tell I didn't build it? :eek:); rather, it is the fact that they are widely spaced that provides sufficient weakness to allow the canopy to scare the living bejebus out of you when it rips cleanly off. I don't remember the exact spacing, but if my memory is cooperating today (this all happened back in June 2010, BTW), it seems like the pulled rivets were set every 4-5 inches or so.

If you really want to see more pics of canopy carnage, shoot me a PM to remind me and I'll dig up the photo files this weekend.

My dad an I were having breakfast at Auburn (KAUN) last year when a Rocket took off. He was at midfield at 10 feet when he did a big wing rock and the canopy flew off. I talked to him afterward and he said he saw the canopy start to float durning the take-off so he grabbed it with his left hand. That left him flying with his right hand and holding the canopy down with his left. He tried to grab the stick with his knees so he could use his right hand to pull the throttle (that was the wing rock). He decided to just fly the airplane and let the canopy go after the wing rock. Good decision!

-Andy

Back