What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Kit-Longeron

RV7Ron

Well Known Member
I am about to finalize my wing kit order this morning. I had read a post about adding suggested items to the order to save on shipping costs. I am adding the 'deluxe' fuel caps, a 50' roll of 3/4" conduit and a flop tube. My lighting is still TBD so I am saving that til later. I thought someone in that post had also mentioned adding an extra longeron piece to the mix just in case its needed considering it wouldnt be easy to ship after the fact because of its length. The idea being if I dont need it, I can use it for misc brackets that I may need during construction. The problem is, I dont have my preview plans with me here at work and I dont know the part number of this longeron? Anyone know this off the top of their head (for the -7)?

Ron the item you need to add is Longeron Angle 7/8/9 AA6-125x3/4x3/4x15'2"

Thanks Vlad, although that length isnt shown in the web store? Do you know if there is a part number associated with this? I guess I could just call Van's and explain what I want. Either way, thanks for the help.

Looks like it's not listed you are right. I took the item from my packing list. Give them a call.

dont forget the proseal, fuel line, and fuel fittings!!
Thanks, I thought the fuel line/fittings was included in the wing kit? As for the proseal, I was worried about shelf life...is it ok in the fridge for 6+ months?

You might as well order the 3/4 x 3/4 .063 angle, too. You'll use a lot of that and, frankly, it makes much more sense to use that for brackets rather than .125.

Thanks, I thought the fuel line/fittings was included in the wing kit? As for the proseal, I was worried about shelf life...is it ok in the fridge for 6+ months?

I just received my tank sealant...the shelf life is listed on the can as 9 months at the recommended storage temp of 80 or less. My understanding is that it will last significantly longer if refrigerated.

There is some tubing in the kit... but if your doing flop tubes, or planning on fuel injection, you may want to get the flop tubes now as well as tubing/fittings for the fuel return line. Gets some caps too to keep FOD out of the tank during storage... .they can be used later if you have to remove the tanks as well! While your at it, grab me a Lycoming IO-360. pm me and ill shoot you the shipping address. :D

Thanks for all the feedback guys. For future reference to other builders, this is what I added to my wing kit order. Of course, some of this is not 'required' by any means but I figure it is all stuff I will use eventually during the project. So, this is just what I did so take it for whats it worth.

Longeron Angle 7/8/9 AA6-125x3/4x3/4x15'2"
AA6-063x3/4x3/4x6' (extra angle for misc brackets)
Misc grommets of several sizes
50' roll of 3/4" conduit (for wiring)
Flop tube (1)
Deluxe fuel caps (note: $52 total credit for standard version)
Pro-seal (1 qt) ...I realize I may need more later
Fuel tank test kit
AN833-6D (extra)
AN833-4D (extra)
AT0-032X1/4X8' (Soft Al tubing)
AT0-035X3/8X6' (Soft Al tubing)

At OSH, I will be looking at lighting and heated pitot options as I am still undecided on these.

So, the wings are being crated this week, wing stand is built, plans previewed...I am beyond excited to get started on them! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, I just ordered my wing kit today and found your list very helpful. Some additional detail for future searchers: The part number for the 15 ft RV-7 logeron is E-718 and is located on Drawing 18. Also, it is WAY cheap, so buy an extra one (or two) and have it shipped with the wing kit as this thread and others have suggested.

I second the thanks for posting both the list and the part number. Ordered my wings today too - I just wish I had read this first! Thankfully it is not too late... It will be a while before they are ready to ship. So much info here - what a great forum for newbie builders like myself!

Back