What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I have an official airplane!

RVbySDI

Well Known Member
I have been building for five years now. I picked up my RV9A project from a fellow builder who had started building in 2001. He had completed all the tail feathers, ailerons and flaps. I picked up the rest in boxes ready to start my own building project. Ken, if you are out there, she is finally a legal airplane.

Anyway, on June 17, 2005 I started this trek of building an RV9A. Well, without going into a long dissertation that will just bore anyone reading this, I want to post that on Monday, June 7, 2010 my local FISDO office signed off on all the airworthiness paperwork necessary to make this project an actual registered and airworthy aircraft.

Here is a recent picture just from a week ago just prior to having the inspection.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7672/img0414qx.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have so many people to thank for helping on this project. If I do not mention someone here please note I am eternally grateful for everyone involved. Of the utmost importance to mention is my wife for getting on board with this project. She has spent 5 years of having me postpone many "Honey Do" list items in order to work on the airplane.

I could not have completed this airplane if it were not for my good friend Clark Taylor. Clark is not an RV builder but he is an extremely experienced machinist who has spent his entire adult life working on every imaginable thing that could be built by man. Without his assistance I know I truly could not have completed this airplane.

I also want to thank Doug and everyone on this forum for participating in such a fantastic resource. Without the input from all who post here I would be left in the dark trying to figure out on my own what needed to be done. I truly wonder if I would have attempted this type of construction a decade ago when this forum did not exist. I know many of you on this forum did just that and my hat is off to every one of you. I don't know if I could have done this without being able to go online and ask questions of all those who have been down the road before me.

I look forward to flying my new airplane for the first time. You can be sure I will post again when that happens. I am looking forward to supplying a picture of my "RVGrin" on that day.

The adventure started 5 years ago. The first phase (construction) of the adventure is at its end but now the adventure takes on a new purpose with some very exciting times ahead. The adventure of flying my newly completed airplane is set to begin. I look forward to experiencing all the flying fun I can possibly stand now.

It has been said many times before by many other posters but it stands to be repeated here. Keep bucking those rivets. It will all be worth it some day soon.

Live Long and Prosper!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pepto

Maybe I could just polish the rest of the plane and paint the rest of the fiberglass the same pink. I could name her "Pepto- the Vomit Commet!" :p

Excuse me but.....

I believe that the color "PINK" is officially called "CORAL" on this website!

I believe that the color "PINK" is officially called "CORAL" on this website!

Hmmm ... I thought DR's scooter was "coral" and not "pink" ... or was that "salmon"?

Actually, anything other than what's in the official Crayola 8-crayon box set is beyond a REAL man's comprehension.

Just paint it pink and be done with it. :D

(any moderator/administrator care to resize the pic to make this thread more manageable?)

Steve:
Just fly it over to Twin Lakes (2OK2) and we'll all take a look.:)
Glad to see it's ready to fly.

Marshall Alexander

Great news Steve!! It's always neat to see those of us that started around the same time get to this point!! I'm right behind ya!!

:cool::cool:

Steve:
Just fly it over to Twin Lakes (2OK2) and we'll all take a look.:)
Glad to see it's ready to fly.

Marshall Alexander

Well. . . actually, I was hoping I would have many knowledgeable eyes on it before I fly it. I need your critiques before I fly to hopefully ward off any unforeseen stupid mistakes before they have an opportunity to bite me during flight.

Check you RV out before you fly

Steve,
I would be glad to come by and look the 9a over and visit. Just let me know when you would like to do it.

Jerry Calvert
659-8174 cell

Steve,
I would be glad to come by and look the 9a over and visit. Just let me know when you would like to do it.

Jerry Calvert
659-8174 cell

Anytime you can make it out just give me a call (522-0621 cell). Our monthly EAA meeting is this Saturday at 11:00 if you can make it this Saturday. If not, I will be out at the airport each evening around 7:00.

Hey Steve,
Have you completed transition training and made the first flight?
Hi Jerry, yes I completed transition training with Roy Greer in his RV6 about two weeks ago. I was having a lot of problems with the fuel tank leaking since I last talked with you. I finally got the leak sealed after about two weeks of proseal work. I had to open the tank up and seal it from the inside.

I flew for the first time this past Tuesday (July 13th). Sadly though, it was a short 6 minute flight. All of the problems I have been having since June 7th is why I really have not posted any information on my airplane since I started this thread. Tuesday's flight just added additional issues to debug.

The flight pretty much just consisted of a short climb out, the engine spitting and sputtering, climbing to pattern altitude, flying the pattern and landing. The 6 minutes was the amount of time I had to fly the pattern and get it back on the ground. The engine was really not running well at all so the flight was short lived but it did fly.

For what little time I was able to think about it, the airplane did fly very well but I was spending too many brain cells concentrating on the engine problems to notice too much about it.

I found the problem to the engine stumbling last night and believe I have the problem solved. I am not sure it will fly again until this weekend so maybe Saturday I can make another attempt at acquiring the famous RV-Grin. :D

Steve,
Great news to hear you have flown the 9a. Not good to hear there are engine issues:mad:. Go over the engine thoroughly and do ground testing before flying again. Let me know if you need help.

LOE

Will you make the LOE fly in in Weatherford? It must be all of 50 nm from you.
Absolutely plan to be there! You are correct in the distance. No camping or hotel needed for me. Just hop in the RV and about 15 minutes later land on my own strip, park in my own hangar, drive 2 miles to the house and spend the night in my own bed. Of course, the idea of camping under the wing of my newly built RV with other like minded souls sounds very appealing too. Glad I have options.

Back