What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blowing RV 8 canopy in flight

donaziza

Well Known Member
Maybe 2 years ago, I asked about bailing out of an RV 8. (Let's say you got a roaring fire or a wing came off doing acro, or a flat spin). Some people said due, to pressure, one couldn't get the canopy open in flight. ( Vans didn't know). I think it was Paul Dye who said "remove the bolts on the forward left & right posts on your canopy, and put some Pip pins in instead. If you're wearing a parachute, remove the pip pins before takeoff. This way if the dreaded situation arose, simply crack the canopy open, push up one inch ( as the bolts and pip pins have been removed), and the slip steam will rip it of the airplane. Also roll inverted and push on the stick to get yourself out.

OK, now for the question.I don't guess anyone is going to know the answer to this, but I've gotta ask anyway. Suppose you've got not a fire or wing departure, but an engine failure, and the only place to land is on water. I'm told that generally small airplanes flip over on hitting the water. ( Official safety Pub). Wouldn't it be nice to have already rid yourself of that canopy!! BUT---if you get rid of your canopy in the way I've described, I'm "assuming" the small rubber piece that holds the back of the canopy on it's rail would simply rip off,---but what would it do to the vertical stabilizer???:eek: If the vertical stab came off, that's just going to ruin your whole day on that nice power off glide you had all set up to the water.:(

Last edited:
I went through this debate recently with someone, and also know of a recent accident to a similar (bit stronger?) type with a proportionally smaller canopy.

In the accident, the canopy started to come loose, pilot slowed down, then canopy lost and struck VS. VS was badly dented, but stayed on. Relating to an RV-8, the RV is a lighter / flimsier design (this is a Military trainer design) with a larger heavier canopy and could well fly at a higher speed than this occurred at - conclusion - loss of Canopy in flight might destroy/remove the VS of an RV-8?

Secondly, having lost the canopy it ended up in field fairly shortly thereafter, pilot OK, aircraft probably written off (nosewheel broke off, wingtip struck ground). Speaking to the pilot, the aircraft was barely controllable in pitch.. Again read across to the RV-8 the loss of that large canopy may lead to aircraft being uncontrollable, even before damage is allowed for.

Therefore I would not consider getting rid of the canopy prior landing / ditching without definitive advice from a good source that the aircraft will remain easily controllable.

Adapt structure to allow canopy jettison? From above, I would only do it to aid a parachute exit. I do wear a parachute for certain profiles (early flight tests esp spinning, formation/low level aerobatics), but not really sure of the circumstances that would allow me to use it, and/or how I would get out. Given the risks of an inadvertent jettison (above), I again have decided I will not go down that route. If life gets bad enough to need to bail out, I just hope it is possible :confused:

Andy

Water is hard!

Just another factor. I'm not sure you want to flip over in the water without the protection of the canopy.

A few years back some guy ditched an -8 off of Hawaii and got out and was saved. Do any of you know the details?

A few years back some guy ditched an -8 off of Hawaii and got out and was saved. Do any of you know the details?

The incident was written up in a recent issue of the RVator, actually. I don't recall the details but it was a fascinating read.

Some great answers guys. The one about the ditching in Hawaii was especially good. Thanks everyone.

Back