What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear spar question

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
I thought I would ask those who dared to tread already on cutting the rear spar doubler before I "tried this at home". The const manual says to take off the dimentions shown in the shaded areas on DWG 38. Here is a pic.

9ftxrr.jpg

Note one admonishes you to "keep a minimum 5/8 edge distance from the center of the bolt. DWG 38 is not included in the wing kit with full size drawings and I don't want to do a hachet job on the rear spar. :eek:

Thanks all........

Vans prints are correct.

Sorry but I'm not going to dig back and confirm your image, but I can confirm that Vans plans are correct and it is a lot easier to cut these on the bench. Even when cut to the prints, you may need to do some corner radii work on this piece (top corner) in order to prevent it hitting the rear spar carrythough and causing a minor forward sweep. Just keep it in mind the first time you test fit the wings. Don't guess. Follow the prints and then adjust at assy.

Mark:

Measure about 30 times and make the cut to plans. I know you're nervous about this, but almost everyone I know (which would include myself :)) has had to remove even MORE material from the rear spar because the too-long rear spars cause a forward sweep situation.

Hope that helps,
Jamie

I used the Vans dimensions and they worked well

Just err on the safe side and expect to do a little filing to clear the rivet heads as shown below...

IMG_3788.jpg

By the way, an RV'r fried and I fabricated a special tool to accurately drill / ream the rear spar hole while the wings is clamped in place. The idea is to carefully mark and spot drill the location of the hole on the aft fuselage spar "socket" stub, and then clamp the wing in place with our special tool after measuring the sweep and AOA to your satisfaction. A pilot hole is then drilled thru the assembly while clamped in place, and then a reamer brings the hole to a tight fit on the bolt. If you're interested, we will rent the tool and drills / reamer for a $20 donation to EAA Chapter 1300 plus shipping both ways. See photos of the process at: http://picasaweb.google.com/frazitl/WingsDrillingRearSpar# .

From the photo terry posted.

IMG_3788.jpg

When I built my fuse I used a 426 rivet instead of the 470 called out for in the plans, so I didnt have to file away anything.

Replies

All thanks for the replies. This gives me more confidence making these cuts.

Terry, I will keep that in mind when it comes time to making the hole in the rear spar. I appreciate Chapter 1300 making the offer.

Back