What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rivet gun 2x or 3x

jany77

Well Known Member
have guestion about rivet gun 2x or 3x i know just little bid about the difference but which one do you guys recomend

3x

3X with a mini regulator on it. You can always turn the 3X down but you can't turn the 2X up. Since the 3X has a longer stroke it's easier to hear the individual hits the hamer makes. In time you'll get an "ear" for the correct number hits to drive a rivet. Also the 2X is almost maxed out ona -4 rivet. If your like me your gonna have goofs here and there and need to drive a -5 rivet. Also I have been using my gun to help with friends projects requiring larger rivets.

3X. Period. For the reasons in a previous post. My 2X has been idle for a couple of years.

Don Gray
-7A in progress
N17QB

On the other hand, the 2X is a little shorter, which makes it easier to work on parts that require you to reach around something for the rivet (forward rivets on leading edge skins, or tanks for example). It's also lighter.

I used a 3X for every RV I've worked on so far, but just finally broke down and bought a 2X to use for the current (enroute I hope) RV-8.

Of course if I had used a 2X all this time, I might have just decided I needed a 3X. Don't ya love all these decisions :p

Bottom line is- either will work.

The 2X works great for the smaller AD3 rivets especially on the wing skins, but I found that on the 470-AD4s even with pressure turned up it took a long trigger on time to get proper shop heads. I borrowed may hanger mate's 3X and it made a world of difference on the AD4s. Bottom line is that if I had to make the choice again I would go with the 3X and just turn down the pressure for the AD3s. Perhaps if you can swing it get both or borrow one when needed.
\Good luck/

3X - what pressures do you use?

I just received my tool kit and have been 'practicing' a bit. It would be helpful to know what different pressures to use on the different rivet sizes. Can't seem to get anything consistent. I need some starting points.

Thanks

Greg Piney
RV-8 Soontobe
Setting up Shop
Playing with Tools

I started my 6A with a 2X, and had no problems and good results until I needed to set some 1/8 rivets in thick (well backed) material- for example, the tank to fuselage heavy angle brackets, and the spar web to leading edge - I found the 2x, even at high line pressures, did not have enough power to set these rivets without an excessively long burst, and the risk of work-hardening. I acquired a 3X gun, which made these easy. Now, I find I prefer the 3X generally, and hardly use the 2X.
Bill Brooks

Pressures

gpiney said:
It would be helpful to know what different pressures to use on the different rivet sizes. Can't seem to get anything consistent. I need some starting points.
Dan Checkoway has a nice guide on his site that got me started (bottom of page): http://www.rvproject.com/rivets.html

I also started with a 2X gun, but eventually bought a 3X as well because long 1/8" rivets are pretty tough to set with the 2X. With the 3X they are cake. I do still like the 2X better for smaller rivets though.

13brv3 said:
On the other hand, the 2X is a little shorter, which makes it easier to work on parts that require you to reach around something for the rivet (forward rivets on leading edge skins, or tanks for example). It's also lighter.

I used a 3X for every RV I've worked on so far, but just finally broke down and bought a 2X to use for the current (enroute I hope) RV-8.

Of course if I had used a 2X all this time, I might have just decided I needed a 3X. Don't ya love all these decisions :p

Bottom line is- either will work.

Gee Rusty,

An eight , a 3 and another eight?

Two and a half years later, I'm just finishing my wings!

Peter Laurence
RV9A

gpiney said:
I just received my tool kit and have been 'practicing' a bit. It would be helpful to know what different pressures to use on the different rivet sizes. Can't seem to get anything consistent. I need some starting points.

Real simple for me:
35-40# for 3/32 (whatever happens to be on the regulator at the time)
60# for 1/8 unless using offsets in which case 65# usually does the trick.

Some people have multiple pressures they use and even have, apparently, put a stopwatch to their bursts and use that as a guide. I just use the above pressures and hit it until the shop head is right. Usually a slow 2 seconds, sometimes 3. If you're REAL good, you can hear when the rivet is set by a change in the tone.

You'll get the feel for what works for you soon.

2x 3x

thanks alot guys i did some back riveting with sioux 2x and i liked it but when im reading the plans there is lots of big 4- rivets so i think ill go with 3x gun thanks alot

plaurence said:
Gee Rusty,

An eight , a 3 and another eight?

Two and a half years later, I'm just finishing my wings!

Peter Laurence
RV9A

Now that sounds like a personal problem :D

The first -8 was a standard kit, and took 2.5 years to build. The -3 was an almost complete structure that I bought from someone who never finished it. I did have to retrofit -3B QB wings to it when I found that the original builder made some life threatening mistakes on the spars. Still, most of my time was spent on the Mazda engine conversion (multiple revisions of it), but that was what I considered the fun part. The new -8 is QB all the way, and my plan is to have it flying before the end of this year. Piece of cake :p

Still wondering: at least the ads say that 2X guns are capable for 1/8" rivets but some of you say that they don't. Why would any "RV tool seller" even offer you 2X guns as an option for 3X if it isn't adequate for the job. Some of you however admit that both will do just fine.

Just visited a guy building 7A and he had used 2X so far without problems. Therefore good 2X rivet gun with adequate pressures should do just fine for RVs?

You can always say that regulator allows to drop down the pressure then why don't take 7X if that is the issue... :D

Not worth a debate

Pirkka said:
...........the ads say that 2X guns are capable for 1/8" rivets but some of you say that they don't............. Some of you however admit that both will do just fine............. :D
You will not be disappointed purchasing a 3X rivet gun. Personally, I've never been a fan of regulating the air pressure on any rivet gun but then I pounded rivets for a living and it is as second nature to me as breathing. I recommend a 3X for the homebuilder because it allows (if needed for your own personal comfort level), to regulate the air pressure downward to shoot a 3/32" rivet but then have adequate reserves to open it up to shoot 1/8" rivets. The problem with a 2X's rivet gun overall utility becomes glaringly apparent in those situations in which you might have to use a long 1/8" rivet set. If the rivet set happens to be a long offset shooting a long length 1/8" rivet, then the chances are very good the 2X will simply not have the muscle to handle the job. The longer the rivet set and/or the more offset it has, the more energy is dissipated before ever reaching the rivet. Further, longer length rivets require considerably more energy to set than shorter length rivets. A few times in my RV construction experience, I was even glad I have a 4X in my tool box to use. I think this whole debate thing with the 2X vs. 3X centers on the fact many guys base their opinion on their (limited) experience with the shorter length rivets used in the empennage kit, then get on-line and sing their happy praises. Well into the fuselage or final kit, they may well run into a situation in which they have to set a relatively long 1/8" rivet using a long rivet set. When that awkward moment of realization is upon them, they will likely experience a personal ephiphany of sorts and then quietly proceed to cast about in search of a 3X rivet gun to borrow or buy.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Pirkka said:
Still wondering: at least the ads say that 2X guns are capable for 1/8" rivets but some of you say that they don't. Why would any "RV tool seller" even offer you 2X guns as an option for 3X if it isn't adequate for the job. Some of you however admit that both will do just fine.

Just visited a guy building 7A and he had used 2X so far without problems. Therefore good 2X rivet gun with adequate pressures should do just fine for RVs?

You can always say that regulator allows to drop down the pressure then why don't take 7X if that is the issue... :D

All good points made about the 3X gun, but QB builders like us can happily sing along with the 2X. Go here and play the "Choosing 2X or 3X Rivet Gun" video. It might be helpful.

http://www5.mailordercentral.com/clevtool/faq.asp

One of the final suggestions in that video is to use the smallest rivet gun for the job. In the case of our QB kits and the rivet sizes needed to finish them, the 2X is clearly the best first choice.

Pirkka said:

The 2X WILL set 1/8 rivets, however it's HARD. You've got to crank the pressure, and keep it on the rivet a long time. The stupid thing hits so fast it reminds me of that old football game where the game board vibrates and the magnetic men randomly go around in circles and bump into each other. With all this going on, it's difficult to keep the bucking bar and gun straight, especially when you have to do it for, like, 3 seconds (or more). Also, it's very easy to work harden the rivet if you screw it up even just a tiny bit. Very fine line between driving and work hardening.

So it is possible, but I have a 3X and have been very happy. Before I started building, I hung out with an A&P and picked his brain for a few hours. Once I saw the 2X vs 3X in action, 3X was a no brainer. Just my opinion.

Back