What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Leaking Rotax Fuel Pumps?

Mitch757

Well Known Member
My neighbor has a Sport Cruiser with only 52 hours on the Rotax 912. During preflight, we found the THIRD leaking fuel pump during the oil "burp" procedure. Rapid fuel drips simply by pulling the prop through.

Each of the pump leaks has been the same: fuel dripping through the crimped area between the gold colored top and pot metal base.

This last "failure" is with the specified replacement pump, p/n 892546. See Rotax SB-912-053UL.

This is a bit disturbing since I'll be ordering my engine kit in a few months.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mitch Garner

RV-12 under construction
RV-4 flying

Last edited:
Had a problem, but -

I had OIL dripping from my fuel pump. Came from the weep holes by the mounting bolts. Per the regional Rotax vender, it has been a problem since they switched fuel pump vendors. I did get a new one under warranty, and all is well now, but not a good situation for sure. The new one has run for quite a few hours now, and has been good

John Bender

leaking fuel pump

I'm assuming that you're talking about the electric fuel pump, and not the engine fuel pump...ours failed and kept us from taking off. It also leaked oil...we installed another pump with an off-line switch.
Meade and George
N612RV

I've not heard on any problems. They are pretty reliable. 3 going bad on the same plane warrants investigation into that set up IMHO.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the electric fuel pump, and not the engine fuel pump...ours failed and kept us from taking off. It also leaked oil...we installed another pump with an off-line switch.
Meade and George
N612RV

How could the ELECTRIC fuel pump be leaking oil?

Folks,
It is the standard engine driven pump that has leaked gas 3 times through the crimp. Large letters "AC" are imprinted on the cap of the pump.

The electric pump has nothing to do with it.

Mitch

Folks,
It is the standard engine driven pump that has leaked gas 3 times through the crimp. Large letters "AC" are imprinted on the cap of the pump.

The electric pump has nothing to do with it.

Mitch

Mitch, you might want to have your buddy dynamically balance the engine. Something is way out of wack to loose 3 fuel pumps.

Back