- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Horton View Post
I've booked vacation time, and certainly plan to be at OSH, assuming life doesn't intervene in some way. See you there.
Great looking paint Kevin! Be careful on the highway! Enough said...

Membership due Oct., 2015
RV-4 0-360-180 Catto 3-blade C-FTDQ...
Old 04-18-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
When I started building I was thinking of a Snowbird paint scheme, and wondered about the registration issue
A local chap actually has an RV-8 in a Snowbirds scheme which he painted himself - and it looks great. A closeup of the markings on the side of his plane appears on the Wikipedia article about Vans aircraft:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van%27s_Aircraft
(scroll about half-way down, look on the right side).
This was the first RV I ever had a ride in.

Regarding the exemption - I followed in Kevin's footsteps for this. We appealed to CAR 202.05 (1), which reads:

"Where an aircraft is a former military aircraft or a replica of a military aircraft, the Minister shall, on receipt of an application in accordance with the Aircraft Marking and Registration Standards, authorise an alternative size, location or colour for the display of its marks."

Neither Kevin's nor my aircraft fit the literal words of CAR 202.05, but they were happy to be a bit flexible in the interpretation. By Kevin's suggestion, in my application I made a note about wanting to commemorate the 100th year of powered flight in Canada (last year), which may have helped. When you apply for the exemption, be sure to use the term "replica military" to describe your paint scheme... as Kevin suggested to me, this provides hooks into CAR 202.5.

The exemption, which must be carried in my aircraft, allows for 3 inch reg marks on the tail under the HS. The exemption also describes the entire paint scheme, including all markings, in detail.

When I get my airplane back from paint (hopefully June), if it looks anywhere close to as amazing as Kevin's, I'll be tempted to forget about flying it and just put a red velvet rope around it, turn my hangar into a museum, and charge people to admire it!
Ottawa, Canada

Last edited by prkaye : 04-18-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:17 AM

Default Beautiful

Kevin.....congrats on getting through all the trials and tribulations! The aircraft looks wonderful. You have to plan a trip to Brenton to take Sonny for a ride! If that ride could include Stanley in the fall he would be as proud as punch!

It will certainly be a hit at Osh. as well.

Joe Hine
C-FYTQ
Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hine View Post
Kevin.....congrats on getting through all the trials and tribulations! The aircraft looks wonderful. You have to plan a trip to Brenton to take Sonny for a ride! If that ride could include Stanley in the fall he would be as proud as punch!

It will certainly be a hit at Osh. as well.

Joe Hine
C-FYTQ
Hi Joe,

I definitely plan to get back to Yarmouth to take Dad for a ride. I don't know yet if I'll land at Brenton or not - I'll need to take a close look at the field first. My wheel pants sit a bit low for rough grass strips.

I'd like to make it to Stanley, if my work schedule permits. At the moment late summer and fall are looking to be very busy, but I'm hoping the natural schedule slippages will push all these projects later and free up early September.
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/
Old 04-19-2010, 05:06 PM

Default Thanks Kevin

Thank you for the inspiration, and the new desktop wallpaper :-)
Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Horton View Post
Hi Joe,

I definitely plan to get back to Yarmouth to take Dad for a ride. I don't know yet if I'll land at Brenton or not - I'll need to take a close look at the field first. My wheel pants sit a bit low for rough grass strips.

I'd like to make it to Stanley, if my work schedule permits. At the moment late summer and fall are looking to be very busy, but I'm hoping the natural schedule slippages will push all these projects later and free up early September.
I'd be a little careful of Brenton as well....as we know there has already been one RV on its back there!! Steve's strip was fine the last time I was there, three RV4's landed no problem.

Joe
Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 PM

When you get a chance to get down to give your Dad a ride why don't you both drop in and visite here at CLE4. Hopefully by then the RV-10 will be airborne. My grass strip is 2000' by 200' wide and smooth. I plan on making it longer still, in time. It's only been an ongoing project for 15 years now.
Ron
Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 PM

Default Ready to Fly

The reassembly phase took longer than I hoped, but I finally got all the bits back on this evening. Fred, an amateur photographer happened by as I was installing the wheel pants, and asked if he could take some pictures.

There are still a couple of final items to be added to the paint scheme. The missing blue "RCAF" and "Golden Hawks" text above and below the hawk's head will be added next week, I hope.

It was way too windy for the first flight after paint today - the wind was gusting to over 20 kt at 90 degrees to the runway. I'm sure I'll eventually be flying in those conditions, but I've only worked up to about 15 kt of crosswind so far, and it has been over two months since I last flew the aircraft. My schedule is pretty packed tomorrow, but hopefully everything will come together to fly to fly on Friday.
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/
Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 AM

Default Karma ...?

You know, Kevin, there's something very appropriate that two old-timers like us should end up flying to Oshkosh for the first time the same year. We've seen a LOT of fellow builders finish and fly long before us over the years, haven't we?

Looking forward to seeing you there, bud.

RV-8 "Smokey"
"Too close for missles, switching to guns..."
Old 04-29-2010, 11:13 AM

Kevin,
If Van doesn't ask you to park your gorgeous plane in front of his tent at OSH, he's missing a "golden" opportunity.

To paraphrase Billy Crystal, "It looks Mahvelous!"
VAF #136
N424LZ Reserved