What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Everglades City, FL - X01 Another Great Day Trip

carlrai

Well Known Member
Friday morning a high pressure system continued to bless Florida with gorgeous weather. Having missed a fly out to Everglades City (X01) last weekend (sorry Eddy, the wx was miserable up here,) I wanted to take advantage of the now near perfect weather and check it out. Having Friday off, I coaxed my friend George Barth (a fellow RV-9A owner and extraordinary craftsman) into riding along in search of a good Grouper sandwich. We departed around 9:15AM using the LaBelle VOR as the single waypoint enroute to this little gem on the northwest corner of the Everglades National Park. On approaching the vicinity, the spectacular view of the 10,000 Islands appears. It?s obviously a sportsman?s paradise and I?m looking forward to a return with a boat for some serious fishing on the flats around these islands.

10000Islands1.jpg

Southovertheislands.jpg

First look at the airport on turning downwind gives one a reason to quickly review short field landing procedures. 2400? X 60?, water on both ends, 90 degree crosswind. Hmmmm.....

TurningDownwindX01.jpg

Here on short final.

ShortFinal15-X01.jpg

Whew - made the runway

Whew.jpg

and safely parked

SafelyParked.jpg

After parking we walked upstairs to the FBO office and met Nathan working the desk. Gotta tell you, Nathan was exceptionally helpful, recommending his best bet for a Grouper sandwich, the Havana Caf? on Chokoloskee Island. A great custom in the area is that the restaurants will come to the airport, pick up your party and drive you to lunch (or dinner) and return ? NO CHARGE. We took Nathan up on the offer and our ride to the caf? arrived in about 5 minutes. While waiting, Nathan also explained that the airport has beach cruisers (coaster brake, one speed bikes) for rent for 5 bucks a day. Cool deal. The farthest you can bike into town is about 1 mile and Chokoloskee Island is about 3 miles. Next time, a flight of two with the ladies and we?ll give that a try. (Before the mosquitoes take over) Look for Nathan if you haven?t been here and enjoy the hospitality at this great little FBO. Here?s a couple views of the runway from the upstairs deck.
Looking North:
ViewfromFBOtotheNorth.jpg

and South:
ViewfromFBOtotheSouth.jpg

Carlos picked us up, gave us a 5 minute ride to Chokoloskee Island and the Havana Caf?. Turns out, Carlos owns the restaurant and Nathan?s (FBO) wife, Teresa was our server. Hmmm, it?s starting to make sense. But nevertheless, when Carlos stepped behind the counter to grill our fish, he described the creation for our approval. Grouper, grilled then saut?ed with onions, peppers, garlic and served on fresh Cuban bread with lettuce and tomato. It was incredible and among the best Grouper sandwiches I?ve had. Be forewarned, good Cuban food usually has lots of garlic used in prep, this was no exception and I enjoyed the flavor for hours after lunch.
Following lunch and a quick ride back to the FBO, we departed and following climb out, made one last pass over the airport and Chokoloskee Island before turning north and heading back across the prairie land of South FL.

OneLastLook.jpg

Chokoloskee Island (at the end of the causeway) looking south:
ChokoloskeeIslandtotheSouth.jpg

Hope this encourages a few to visit this charming little community. It?s on the same laid back level as Cedar Key but with even more spectacular views of the coastline and islands in the Gulf of Mexico. Thanks to George for sharing the photo duties. Another great day in Florida!

Another great write-up, Carl - keep 'em coming! I've got a trip to Key West coming up in two weeks, and we might just have stop by here on our way back.

Many things close at the end of April

Ryan,

Get there within the next couple of weeks. When we were leaving the Havana Cafe, the proprietor informed us they close for the summer as do many of the restaurants in the area. Things come back to life in October.

You're heading to KEYW for the airshow? I may head down on Saturday. Let me know if that's your plan.

Ryan,

Get there within the next couple of weeks. When we were leaving the Havana Cafe, the proprietor informed us they close for the summer as do many of the restaurants in the area. Things come back to life in October.

You're heading to KEYW for the airshow? I may head down on Saturday. Let me know if that's your plan.
Thanks for the heads up on the seasonality of Everglades City.

As for Key West, no, we're going down the weekend after the airshow. Jennifer and I are actually flying (commercial) to Puerto Rico this coming Saturday, come back Tuesday, hit Sun'n'Fun on Wednesday, fly to Key West on Thursday, and come back that Sunday. Should be a fun, but hectic, week.

nice post..........

wish i could of been there. lets arrange a time to get together at vans tent at snf. turbo

Back