What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV Gold Class

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
Mike Thompson announced recently that a new Gold Class will be opened for SARL cross country air racing this year. It is for RVs powered by engines over 360 cu. in. 540s are allowed for RV-10s only in this new class. I know there are several out there with 390s etc. and of course all of the RV-10s that weren't really competitive in the Sport FX class they were forced into with the Rockets etc. I wonder though how many will actually come out to race? Oh, and racers that have 360 cu. in. engines the wish to jump up to the Gold Class may do that - yes John and Jon there is more glory in that ... I don't know what the AirVenture Cup race will do in this regard.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Oh, and racers that have 30 cu. in. engines the wish to jump up to the Gold Class may do that - yes John and Jon there is more glory in that ...
Bob Axsom

I have a pit-bike with a 50cc engine. Maybe I can tune it down and squeeze it into this class..

Rick, I'm pretty sure Ax meant 360ci, but the 30 caught my eye too, and your response brought a big chuckle. We'll have to deliberate on an appropriate handicap for your 50cc monster! :)

However, I think Bob was providing a friendly nudge to John and Jon, who have wicked-fast RVs and tear up the RV Blue class. Certainly stepping up to RV Gold will be like jumping up from light heavy to heavyweight, and kicking tail...loads of glory there...right Bob?! ;)

The RV Gold class will be a great class, and will give an opportunity for 390ci two-seat RVs and RV-10s to come out, have fun and run in what will likely be a very competetive class...without having to run against those pesky Rockets! (AMHIK :p)

And if J&J do step up, it'll be a great call out to the "big block" 4-banger RV's to "come out and get 'em"!

So tune up those machines, c'mon out, fly fast, fly low, turn left (most of the time), and Go For the Gold!! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Sorry about that

Fixed the displacement error in the original post. However, if you should have a 30 cu. in. powered RV you too can opt for the RV Gold class. Remember the Pietenpol that flew in the Unlimited class of the 2009 AirVenture Cup race.

Bob Axsom

Well now....!

...since the -10's all 430W'ed up, with everything talking to everything else, including the TruTrak.....hhmmmmm.:) Never have held WOT very long..;)

Stay tuned....

I'm in, although the schedule was published after I planned several vacation trips with the wife (after putting the trips off for several years while I finished the '8) and thus I'll miss a couple of races.

Go big or Go home!

Bob, also remember the Pietenpol that flew in the Unlimited class of the 2009 AirVenture Cup race came in Second!
Wayne
F1 Rocket
Winner "Fastest Rocket in the Known Universe 2008"
The only flying F1 Parts kit, 425 hrs
RV 10 ( 1 week from final and a new class to race it in):)

Wayne,

I noted the new line in your signature. Are you gonna race RV Gold in the 10, or Sport FX in the Rocket? I guess it could depend on how far away the race is, and how many family members you want to bring, eh!

Shoot, you go to enough races, and you could take home hardware in both classes!

Just remember...there's an RV-6 out there chasing you! ;)

Good luck on the inspection and the first flight...looking forward to the news and the pics!

Cheers,
Bob

Back