What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What seal for the front of a tipup? One that works & last?????

Brantel

Well Known Member
Please provide some examples of a seal that will actually work for the front of a tipup....

The seal I am talking about is the one that sits on the little shelf created by the sheet metal angle that is riveted to the subpanel.

The one that Vans supplies does not even close the gap between that ledge and the underside of the tipup skin.

Please provide real working examples of a seal that works and that will last without being ripped in the area around the curve and down the side where the canopy does not close down on the seal, it scrubs across it.

Pictures would be great!!!

Thanks in advance...

I appreciate the humor....but that is not practicable!!!!

This is the worst downside to the tipper in my opinion. The seal in the front and the air scoops at 10 & 2...the scoops are easy to fix with several methods but this seal issue is a challenge.

I used stick-on weatherstripping from Lowes on that curve, Brian. Diameter of about a nickel. I'll try to find a picture - it was about $5 for six feet if I remember.

Tip Up Seal

I have tried several as I do get caught in the rain sometimes and having water drip on your feet is not too good because it is getting there via the back of your electric stuff as in radios. Using a seal that sits under the top skin works except at the hinge points which is where my water has been getting in. I am currently using a small rubber oval type of rubber seal that has a 1/32 slot in it. This is exposed and I have to reglue it on occasion (superglue has been the best so far) but it keeps the bulk of the water out. The seal sits on the front of the tip up skin and goes all across the span. In heavier rain I will get an occasional drop or two but not enough to worry about the electrics.
Randy
N55CU / RV-7 / Tip Up
Charlotte, NC

I used D strip from ACS (#05-00897). It is softer, thicker and more resilient than Vans strip and has not deteriorated in over 2 1/2 years of flying. I found one size does not fit all and used vans strip along the top where the gap was smaller. You can also bend the angle that the strip sits on to get a better seal fit. The ACS strip on the curve at the side did come loose at one stage so I re-glued it with contact cement and is holding up well. Maybe 3M Super Weather Strip glue be be better than contact cement? You are no doubt aware that to do the job properly you will need to seal full length the area where the angle and sub panel meet with RVT or equivalent and also fabricate a support for the seal at the hinges.

Fin
9A

Last edited:
I have done pretty much the same as Fin only forgot to fabricate the support for the hinge part and that is where I am getting a bit of water in. I used E6000 glue from Tap plastic and it is working really great. If I ever remove the canopy, I will do some thing about the hinge part.

Good luck

Brian, what did you end up using and has it lasted? I really should seal mine one of these days.:rolleyes: Thanks!

Would be interested to know as well. Glue on stock white seal almost dried out even before installing.

Van originally supplied (RV-6x) this V-shaped seal - placed so that any air leaks would force the seal open -

rubber-channel.jpg

Do the later plans specific a different seal?

Has anyone used this V-seal and does it work?

Tip Up Seal

Gil, that is a classic lip seal and should work very well as long as it is has the proper spacing and orientation. My 7A kit came with the problematic D seal. I would prefer trying lip seals all around the canopy. Orientation is key, because the front is a high pressure area, transitioning to low pressure as you move rearward. I have not yet found a good source for what you show in your picture.

Gil, that is a classic lip seal and should work very well as long as it is has the proper spacing and orientation. My 7A kit came with the problematic D seal. I would prefer trying lip seals all around the canopy. Orientation is key, because the front is a high pressure area, transitioning to low pressure as you move rearward. I have not yet found a good source for what you show in your picture.

That one in the pic came with my finish kit. I guess vans doesn't stock it any more.

Yes,

The best seal I have found is this one:

25z2q03.png

Available from McMasterCarr. They call it an EDGE-GRIP SEAL Install it with the grip on the little sheet metal angle shelf. You may have to cut the shelf back a little to give room between it and the canopy frame when closed.

Install it in one continuous piece. Do not cut it into three pieces. It will span the hinge gap.

I used a similar seal on the sides of the canopy where they touch the canopy deck rails.

Last edited:
A related Tip-up issue ...

I'm using a McMaster & Carr w'strip similar to the one Brantel shows, but under the side rails. That w'strip configuration works well there too, since there's a "flat" for it to clamp to.

Back