What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The ultimate folding bike...from N.Z.

Those looked pretty cool until I looked at the price. ?3,500 to ?3,900. Thats over 5000 dollars each if I converted right!

Jaw On Floor.

Amazing. Watching the video I saw it has anti-skid brakes!!!

When the price comes down sometime down the road there might be a real market for these.

Bike.jpg

Hmmm. That looks familiar.

Ordinary_bicycle01.jpg

Yeah, and at 22 lbs....

...(10 kilos), 4 of them in a -10 would only be 88lbs. It might even fit in an -8's baggage area.

This is an incredible example of some fine, forward thinking engineering!

Best,

I tried a Montague Paratrooper folding mountain bike and a motorized Goped. I love cycling so the Montague was nice on short trips. The Goped, and I suspect Yike Bike, was illegal on roadways and sidewalks. If the Yike Bike can qualify as a personal mobility device (like an electric wheel chair), then it may be allowed on the sidewalks.

My current folding bike is street-legal, carries two adults, reaches 85mph and folds to store in the RV-10 belly pod. It takes about 2 minutes to transition from flying to riding and it's both fun and convenient. Airplanes take you to airports... An airplane + motorcycle can take you just about anywhere you can imagine.

...(10 kilos), 4 of them in a -10 would only be 88lbs. It might even fit in an -8's baggage area.

This is an incredible example of some fine, forward thinking engineering!

Best,

It has an endurance of 9 km.. I wonder if the charge could be made from a 12+V power supply. This will enable an inflight charging!

Downside: price is really too much.

YIKES!!!

I think his reason given for the name was not the real reason they called it the Yike bike.

I think when people asked him how much it cost to buy everyone exclaimed:

"YIKES!!!"

Turn Signals? Anti-skid brakes?

Create a strip down simplified version and have it built in China, these things will be affordable and all over the place.

can you say "faceplant" One normal Montana pothole and you'll be picking gravel out of the space where your nose used to be.;)

Well, it looks like we won't have to worry about the price for a while. At least not here in the U.S. It's not for sale here. Who knows when (or if) it will be. Great idea, though. I'd love to have one!

Definately cool. 3500 euros is about $4900, right? Ouch.

True, it's certainly up there but what does a segway cost? Not to mention the fun we'd have putting a segway in the luggage area behind our seats

(Sorry, us kiwis need to stick together :) )

Ultimate Folding Bike

Plane & Pilot, "11 Best New Products"
2010 Wolf Aviation Fund Grant Recipient

MOTOPOD.jpg

ul?ti?mate - [uhl-tuh-mit]
-adjective
1. not to be improved upon or surpassed; greatest; unsurpassed:
2. Ground transportation that's every bit as good as your airplane.
3. A folding bike with the following qualities: two-place, street-legal, high-way capable, 85mph, 150 mile range, full-size frame, reliable 4-stroke engine, electric start, optional luggage rack and panniers, folding handlebars and pegs, carbon fiber fenders, non-spill plumbing, etc. Stores in a removable belly pod... flying to riding in 90 seconds.:D

?Antonyms
1. Whimsical electric scooters with low speed, short range and limited transportation utility. See also: Unicycle

More information and demo video at: www.MotorcyclePilot.com

Back