What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax Thermostat

Peterk

Well Known Member
One of the downsides of the 12 in cooler weather is trying to keep the oil temps in the 185 to 205 range they prefer. Some put put duct tape over their cooler, others get creative like John Bender and put in a quality thermostat. John lives in Iowa and I don't think the outside air temp has reached zero since November. But John still flies because he bought a Reiff preheater and a ThermoStasis thermostat and has sold the rest of us on its reliability. He had several threads on here about it. Anyway....the price was $89. Like Vans they have announced a price increase in two weeks to $119. If you were holding off till next winter you may want to re-think it. I did. So did Larry.

Thermostat - Company Reply

I asked the supplier if I could still get a thermostat at the original price, after seeing there was a two week window before the price increase (33%) went into effect...here is their reply just received this morning...

John:We recently sent out an e-mail to potential customers who had alreadycontacted us that the price of our products would be increasing to $119.00sometime in the next two weeks.I'm sorry, but as you had not contacted us prior to the price increase, I can not offer the $89.00 price.Mike BrownThermoStasis

Enough said.

IMPORTANT - regarding THERMOSTATS

The Permacool does not work the same as the other. It is designed for automotive trans. applications. The one I used bypasses 98%. It also is available in 205 degree F. The other I don't believe is. Sorry it went up in price, but I would stay with the Thermostasis brand. You get MUCH better results.

Today I installed better fittings for the cooler, and improved mine some. It works, and works well. Go back and look at my installation. About the only way it fits. I may post some more pictures of the latest fittings I used

John Bender

I don't see how the two are or work any different. Can you describe how the insides are built differently? I know the Perma cool bypasses the oil cooler until you get it up to temperature, then it opens up the flow through the oil cooler. Does the unit you installed work any differently than that? It seems pretty simple to me so I don't understand how one could give you "much" better results? I'm just curious, that's all. I will say the thermostasis looks nicer.

Thermostats

interesting.... one maker raised prices 33% and the above PermaCool supplier that was quoted as $67.30 has now raised its price to $90, also a 33% increase.

If I didn't have such a doubtful outlook on our merchandising folks in general I might be led to think some folks see a way to get some money from RV-12/Rotax folks.

A 33% increase is hard to justify in any event.

Hey Paul

YES, they are different. Look at the Permacool lit. It tells you it is 90% bypass. Thermastasis is 98% bypass. Makes a serious difference how it will do the job for this application. It is just a matter of how the valve 'closes'. Nothing wrong with the permacool. It is just not as efficient for this application. When it gets warm in the summer, you want as much going thru the cooler as possible.

John Bender

I asked the supplier if I could still get a thermostat at the original price, after seeing there was a two week window before the price increase (33%) went into effect...here is their reply just received this morning...

John:We recently sent out an e-mail to potential customers who had alreadycontacted us that the price of our products would be increasing to $119.00sometime in the next two weeks.I'm sorry, but as you had not contacted us prior to the price increase, I can not offer the $89.00 price.Mike BrownThermoStasis

Enough said.[/QUOTE

Sorry John since it was my note that initiated your contact. They did the same thing to me and I was one of the ones that got the letter. Nowhere in the letter did it say the two week window could close at any moment. Some people know how to make quality merchandise but no clue how to sell it. Sound like their Sales Mgr is an engineer. Guess I'll go back to duck tape on the cooler in the winter...works the same.

Back