VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-06-2010, 03:11 PM

Default Requirements for IFR Certification

Now that I have started putting the 40 hours on my RV I'm starting to think about IFR certification -- ie static and txp check. I ran into someone who does IFR certs and mentioned that I will need one in the near future on my RV-8. He very quickly said that he would not certify anything that was not TSO'd --- with reference to my Dynon EFIS and or non-TSO'd "steam" altimeter. I'm confortable with what I have given that the Dynon has an ADI backup for attitude and the Falcon Altimeter for backup plus of course the 430W and 496.

The question is --- Is this guy just setting his own standard or is there any requirement that I must go out and buy a TSO'd altimeter plus a TSO'd encoder [at the moment the Dynon feeds the data to the Garmin 330 TXP].

I do not see anything in the FAR's that specify that the altimeter and encoder be TSO'd. In my case the primary box for both would be the Dynon D-180.
XIO-360-M1B with LASAR
GNS-430, GI-106A, GTX-330, 9000EX, Becker 4201, Digiflight II VSGV, ADI, Dynon Dlight Dek 180, Vertical Power VP-200
Old 02-06-2010, 04:24 PM

Default IFR Certification

He setting his on standards. Find somebody else. It is experimental.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomagin View Post
Now that I have started putting the 40 hours on my RV I'm starting to think about IFR certification -- ie static and txp check. I ran into someone who does IFR certs and mentioned that I will need one in the near future on my RV-8. He very quickly said that he would not certify anything that was not TSO'd --- with reference to my Dynon EFIS and or non-TSO'd "steam" altimeter. I'm confortable with what I have given that the Dynon has an ADI backup for attitude and the Falcon Altimeter for backup plus of course the 430W and 496.

The question is --- Is this guy just setting his own standard or is there any requirement that I must go out and buy a TSO'd altimeter plus a TSO'd encoder [at the moment the Dynon feeds the data to the Garmin 330 TXP].

I do not see anything in the FAR's that specify that the altimeter and encoder be TSO'd. In my case the primary box for both would be the Dynon D-180.
If you have the transponder in the aircraft, the transponder check NEEDs to be done if you want to use it even if you are flying VFR. The check needs to be done every two years if you wish to use your transponder.

The requirement is that the equipment meet the TSO but they do not need to be TSO'ed. When he does the check, he will be verifying that they preform to the TSO. If they pass, he can certify the system. If they fail, you still need to pay for the test.

I have been using the Rocky Mountain microEncoder with my KT-76A transponder for over 12.5 years. IT has passed the certification requirements for 91.411 and 91.413 every time it has been tested since first flight in September 1997.
Flying
2,900+ hours

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:49 PM

I just had my pitot/static certification done about a month ago and they do not need to be TSO'd but the guy mentioned that almost all the non-TSO'd gauges that he has tested failed.

I have GRT for the screen and it was amazingly accurate, he tested them up to 20000 and the max that was off was 5 feet.

My TSO'd Altimeter was as much as 25 feet off at some point.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:08 PM

Default Are Marker Beacons required,....

Sort of related subject,.. just wondering if Marker Beacon Indicators are required to pass the IFR Cert ?

Bill S
7a finishing
Old 02-06-2010, 07:38 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSchlatterer View Post
Sort of related subject,.. just wondering if Marker Beacon Indicators are required to pass the IFR Cert ?
Nope - not even required for IFR flight!
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu" - TMXIO-320, WW 151 Prop, G3X/TruTrak/Garmin Avionics Suite - 330+ Hours
VAF #35
EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)

Friend of the RV-1 http://www.rv-1.org
Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 AM

Default Find someone else

I couldn't find anyone in Boise that would sign off on my Advanced Flight Systems unit. One day when I was flying to the Portland area (and on Rob's advice), I called up Pacific Coast Avionics to see if they would do the check. I called on a Friday night and left a message that I would be in on Monday morning. When I showed up on Monday, Chris Brand fit me in his schedule and had it done by noon the next day...my scheduled departure time. Very good service...and goes to show that it's best to find someone who is familiar with the avionics that we put into our Experimentals.
Hangered at KEUL
Old 02-07-2010, 08:49 AM

No requirements for TSO'd compenents. It seems to be getting more and more previlant that shops are becoming "scared" on working on anything with an experimental sticker. I had FSDO ASI advise me that I might want to shy away from inspecting experimentals because it really opens up my liability. I think the fact is, is that some in the FAA really just don't like experimental.
But I agree, just find someone who will work with what you have installed, they are out there.
Fuselage: riveting skins
Finish kit: Just arrived!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 AM

Default How can we find someone?

How do you find someone that will do this? Anyone know of someplace reasonable in the southeast?

Thanks,
Old 03-31-2010, 05:34 AM

Default Hi Greg....

...I have used Abbas Avionics when they were located in Augusta, Ga. for transponder checks and encoder adjustment. I understand that they've opened up a big, new facility in Aiken, S.C. Maybe some of the KCUB EAA chapter will verify this...or you can call information for their phone #

Best,
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!