VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-27-2010, 06:27 PM

Default Adventure Pilot Ifly-700

Got one of the first ones shipped and flew it for the first time today.
It is a moving map GPS where the base map is actual sectional charts. You put in destination or flight plans and it draws a line and a moving aircraft symbol shows you location. It has all of the expected features such as scrolling, Zooming, TFRs, detailed airport info and it also has all US approach/departure plates/stars/airport diagrams in addition to all US sectionals. It's easy to use (touchscreen) and also comes with a small remote. Everything worked as advertised and I found it to be an excellent value at only $499. You can update the charts as much as you desire for an additional $69 a year. It uses an SD card and they keep the TFR database up to date on a daily basis so you can load it before every flight if you want. Some issues for RVs:
Given the metal glareshields we have it will need a remote antenna if you panel mount it. It does not come with one but has a basic MCX type connector, remote MCX GPS antennas can be had very inexpensively.
Size..it's a large unit and only comes with an articulated suction cup mount. I took the suction cup off and mounted the connecting arm with a bolt through the glareshield on the right side of my 6. Not blocking anything and still reachable. (picture link below)
Clear canopies--we let in a lot of sunlight, I was worried about this but the unit was readable even in direct light, it's not as clear as an Avmap or 696 but about on a par with the Aera.
Overall it's a great value, if you've got the room, that gives very good situational awareness...Tom
http://www.flickr.com/photos/flybuddy/