What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to Jack Up the RV-12

JerryG150

Well Known Member
Having just discovered the bolt guage a couple of weeks ago (now I don't have to measure the length and grip of ea. AN3,4,5,&6 bolt), I would hope to learn how to jack up the RV-12 without destroying it. I lifted the plane by hand yesterday evening (one main gear at a time) while my wife slipped the main landing gear wheels on their axels. I'm getting too old for that method.

Harbor Freight has a few jacks ... which one and any tricks of the trade?

Last edited:
(From Tony's webpage)
The Bogert ADJ-FPP Jack Pad fits the RV-12 gear leg;

Jack the RV-12

676402795_GCNJc-X2.jpg

Bogert Pad

That Bogert pad looks good, but how do you handle the interference with the brake fluid line? The photo doesn't show a brake line so its easy, but when the line is there, then what?

No problem...

That Bogert pad looks good, but how do you handle the interference with the brake fluid line? The photo doesn't show a brake line so its easy, but when the line is there, then what?

but you do have to cut the wire ties:
774250519_RTZQK-M.jpg

The optional fairings would present a tougher problem.
Tony

With the wings attached you can use the tie down points as jacking points.
The 3/8"x16 cap screw is shaped to fit into a counter sunk hole in the top of the jack.
Just screw the cap screw into the wing and place the jack under the wing and off you go.
To raise the nose wheel add weight to the tail tie down then jack up the wing.

RV-Jack1.JPG

Last edited:
thanks

I'll go to Harbor Freight for the jack and Wicks for the Bogart pad. Thanks

I'll be ordering the Avionics kit this week and still haven't ordered the engine ... yet.

Last edited:
Lifting RV-12 Off Gear

Somewhere I read a suggestion from Vans that showed a simple method for raising the RV-12. I'm not at home, so I can't direct you to it. Basically, all they did was to have someone push down on the tail cone, which lifted the nose wheel. Then, placed a padded saw horse across the fuse, at a supported area of the fuse, in front of the mains. Then, lifted the tail and placed a support under the tail cone, at a supported area. The result was an RV-12 sitting on two supports with dangling gear. It sure looked easy! I plan to try it this way.

Tom

.......Then, lifted the tail and placed a support under the tail cone, at a supported area. The result was an RV-12 sitting on two supports with dangling gear. It sure looked easy! I plan to try it this way.

Tom

You would have to be a GORILLA to lift a completed RV-12 off the mains by lifting the tail! On second thought, it might work if the front support is near the center of gravity. You would have to design and build two good supports to carry the weight the front one would have most of the weight and would likely be under the seat ribs. I wonder if the skin is supported well enough there to carry the weight?
Tony

Last edited:
thanks for the tip!

I ordered the Bogert ADJ-FPP Jack Pad. Thanks for the tip. :)

Last edited:
It's In The Maint. Manual

You would have to be a GORILLA to lift a completed RV-12 off the mains by lifting the tail! On second thought, it might work if the front support is near the center of gravity. You would have to design and build two good supports to carry the weight the front one would have most of the weight and would likely be under the seat ribs. I wonder if the skin is supported well enough there to carry the weight?
Tony

Actually Tony, I think I saw that procedure in the set of manuals that Van sends to us, in the section dealing with maintenance and jacking. You should have yours copy by now. Take a look. I'm in Florida and my manuals are in Kentucky, or I would search it out. It all looked feasible!

Tom

Jacking w/o a jack...

Tom,
You are absolutely right. The method is right there in the Maintenance Manual:
776011954_nfrYJ-M.jpg

Tony

Back