What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Conical Mount after 575 hours

Sheldon

Well Known Member
My 0-360 engine is a Conical mount style I have on my 6A... I set up the cowl orginally to be even to the top of the spinner..And was estatic that the engine never did seem to have the typical 'drop' at the front... Then at about 550 hours, I noticed it seemed to drop (or is it drouped).. about 1/8"... Also I was noticing a slight viberation that was beginning to bother me... I just couldn't find any reason for the viberation... Checking the LORD web page 'The Care of LORD Mounts' I decided to change the mounts (J-6230-1) durring my condition inspection... You can see in this picture one of the orginal (top front) mounts and it's obvious distortion:
new%20years%2010%20037%20%28Medium%29.jpg

And a picture of the new LORD mount installed on the bird:
new%20years%2010%20036%20%28Medium%29.jpg

The inspection/distortion limits are deplicted on the LORD web page:
http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsSe...n/TheCareofLORDMounts/tabid/3540/Default.aspx
The LORD J-6230-1 mounts are not cheap!.. Also durring install time, they clock at different 90 deg. positions with pins to hold them...
I haven't flown yet (not finished with my condition inspection).. So will report on results..
Sheldon

Sheldon,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I have been looking for actual pics. of J-6230-1 mounts for the conical mnt.

I'm reworking my cowel and needed to know how much they would effect the engine/spinner spacing. Currently I have the standard rubber bushings.

Steve

FYI - I had the cheap rubber conical mounts on my O-290 and they let the engine sag almost a 1/2" in the first 250 hours.

Those Lord mounts look a lot better than the junk mounts I had.

Yes, the LORD J-6230-1 mounts are the ones to use... I have 550 trouble free (no viberation or sag) with them... Until about the 550 hr mark.. They are expensive... around $90 each... (X 4 of course).. Your conical engine mount should have locating pin holes drilled in the pads.. Those are to allign the LORD mounts with their corresponding locating hole..clocking them at 4 different 90 deg. positions... (The center spacers have off center lobes which are meant to fit into the rubber mounts in one direction)... The locating pin doesn't come with the mounts... You have to provide them.. They are close to 1/8" dia. and are very short...1/4" long...
I talked to an LORD engineer one time and he told me the clocking was to combat viberation and engine torque...
My 6A is of the old 'long cowl' version with a 4" prop extension and I have a Sensench metal prop.. Heavy at the front end..yes.. If your with a 2" extension and light prop, your time on these might be higher...??

Also here's a picture showing that the rubber was starting to tear off the metal... You can see the hole for the locating pin and that the moung bolt hole is off center...
new%20years%2010%20039%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Sheldon

I used the cheap Rubber Conical Mounts that Wag-Aero sales. After 2,000 flying hours, there is no sign of sagging. I purchased new ones to install when I installed new cylinders but left the old ones in.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

BTW: (added 1-15-2010) There is NO METAL in the bushings I used and they cost $31.50 for a set of 8.
http://store.wagaero.com/product_info.php?products_id=3038

Last edited:
Rotate Engine Mounts?

In my previous E225-8 powered Bonanza, we lossen the bolts then rotated engine mounts 180" every year; it was not necessary to lift the engine to rotate the mounts.

Can that be easily done on these conical mounts?

"Can that be easily done on these conical mounts? "
Probably not..due to the locating pin...

"I used the cheap Rubber Conical Mounts that Wag-Aero sales."
is your engine a 320 or 360...??
It was my understanding not to use those on 180 hp engines.. But might just be heresay..??

The LORD J-6230-1 mounts were used primally on Bellanca/Citabria's both 0-320 & 360 models..

I changed mine out because they were out of spec per the LORD maintence info page..and of the viberation...
Sheldon

Back