What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone mounted AND flown with Vans stall warning?

I have one on my -10 and it works great. Many people have fancy AOA meters but the good old stall horn works great and bet many RVers would be alive today if they had one on their planes.

Interesting that is now being included in all wing kits.

I would like to have one in my plane (it's cheap insurance) but I would want a way to silence it. You don't need a stall warning horn going off in your ear when you're trying to execute aerobatic maneuvers.

Yeah, this would probably invalidate it's effectiveness because people forget to turn things back on...but you get my drift.

Van's Stall Warning

I installed the stall warning on my RV-10 but in retrospect wish I had not. It worked great but if you happen to get to close to the wing edge where the stall tab sticks out you can catch it with your shirt and bend it and also tear your shirt. Once slightly bent after being set up it will either not go off when it should or it will go off long before stall while you are landing. Ask me how I know.

After repeatedly readjusting the stall tab I finally just disconected it under the panel. Once you do a half dozen stalls in the RV-10 you learn real quick that you don't need a horn to tell you when the -10 is about to stall.

In my RV-6A I never had any trouble figuering out when I was down near the stall area without a stall horn.

I installed it on the first 10, but after catching it too many times with my shirt, leg, and towels when wiping down the wings, I decided it wasn't worth it. We have so many other warnings, both electronically, stick feel, and view out the window, that I left it off of the 2nd 10. I am happy to report that I haven't had any inadvertent stalls yet. :)

Vic

If you round the corners of the stall warning tab with a nice radius it tends to let the shirt slide rather than catch it and cut a hole with the sharp corner. I did this to both the -10 & -12, seems to work better than the sharp edge.

It's been standard on the RV-10 since day one, although some folks prefer just an AOA and left the stall warning off.

What specifically are you looking for?

why not Cessna style?

I have wondered about this for a while. Why not use the internal style like on the C-150/152?

Reddish Stall Warner

Has anyone installed one of these from Van's? Just stumbled across it...

I wonder why they don't include 6-6a...?? Oh, that's right, we're orphans.... (Laff)

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?&browse=fi&product=stall-warner

I had one on my RV6A. I bought it from Spruce about 10 years ago. For a long time the complaint was that the instructions were for an RV6 instead of a 7 (although the same instructions work fine on both). If you aren't using an AOA, I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/redstallwarner.php

As Bob said, it's essentially the same as what is standard on the -10s. Only part that seems to be different is that this has a "tone generator" (specifically mentions piping through the headsets) and the -10 version has a simple buzzer, at least mine does.

What is the real question?

Bob
RV-10 N442PM (flying)

I'm just wondering how easy/difficult it is to install and how well it works/not works.

My alternative is to buy the AFS's AOA-option together with their 4500 which I'm planning to buy and install.

My first thought is that the AFS option would be better, but then I saw that Vans had came with an AOA-option too.
I'm just trying to decide which AOA-system to install....

I'm just wondering how easy/difficult it is to install and how well it works/not works.

It was easy to install on the RV-10. Less than 30 minutes and it?s pretty straight forward.

My alternative is to buy the AFS's AOA-option together with their 4500 which I'm planning to buy and install.

That works too. I also have the AOA installed.

My first thought is that the AFS option would be better, but then I saw that Vans had came with an AOA-option too.

The AOA is clearly a more elegant solution. The Van?s stall warning is clearly the least expensive, but doesn?t have all the capabilities that the AOA does. I installed both.

I'm just trying to decide which AOA-system to install....

I wanted the features of the AOA and the stall warning is standard on the RV-10. Like I mentioned, there are some RV-10 folks that left off the stall warning when they installed their AOA. It didn?t cost me anymore and it add a level of redundancy so I have both.

The choice is yours.

some other Cessnas have this type

I have wondered about this for a while. Why not use the internal style like on the C-150/152?

The C182s I've met have the vane type, not the vane-free type as on other, lesser spam cans.

Maybe that means they are better? Or maybe just more expensive. I dunno.

I can attest that in my experience both types work just fine.

Just be careful....

....using stall warning indicators/buzzers as a crutch. I still go back to basics and encourage everyone to be really familiar with your airplane's pitch attitude for all speeds and power combinations and only rely on a stall warning/AoA to be a helper...so that if or when it stops working, you won't get panicky:)

We've had them on Cessna Agwagons and all the Air Tractors and they're a nuisance to me. Bugs and chemicals get in them and they eventually quit working anyway or some guys just bend them down:)

Best,

I have just installed and test flown the Van's stall warning device on my 250 hr RV9A and I like it :).
Installation on my completed aircraft took about a day and a half and involved some contorting and mild swearing!. I was fortunate that I already had a spare wire in the wing conduit I could use. Something I did not expect is that an access hatch has to be installed in the lower leading edge. Also a rib to support the device has to be installed in the leading edge. Once installed there are 18 new rivets out of sight on the lower leading edge and 2 on the upper leading edge which I suppose I will want to paint one day. The rib was not a particularly good fit and took some effort to get it lined up. Also the VA-195E Mount Plate was different to the diagram in the plans which caused me some confusion.
I wired the audio directly to the headset jacks and the warning tone was too loud. During the test flight I installed a resistance substitution wheel in the audio line and found that 2.2k resistance got the volume about right.
The plans recommend the warning should sound at approximately 10 mph (8.7 kts) above stall speed. From memory, I think the FAA recommend 5 kts??? Adjustments can be made by bending the vane up or down. Installed as per the plans and solo with about 3/4 tanks, flaps up gives a warning at 56 kts IAS with the stall at 50 kts IAS and flaps down gives the warning at 49 kts IAS with the stall at 42 kts IAS. The flap down warning speed is close to being right for me as most of my landings are on a short strip with obstacles on short/short final. From experience I know that anything under about 49/50 kts IAS can leave insufficient power in the elevators to flare after chopping the power when clear of the obstacle.

Fin 9A

Last edited:
I installed the Reddish Stall Warner that Jon describes several years ago but have not tested it yet (getting real close though)! It was very easy to install and requires no additional rib or whatever bracket, just a slot and two screw holes. It does not have an audio but I added one myself by feeding it to the Dynon EFIS. Adjustment is made by bending the tab.

I mention this because it may be easier to install after the wing is finished then the one Finley describes, I don't know how that one is mounted. In both cases I believe the wing tip must be removed to install it.

I agree with Pierre, it's not to be used as a crutch, but rather a last chance warning.....

Larry

I mention this because it may be easier to install after the wing is finished then the one Finley describes, I don't know how that one is mounted. In both cases I believe the wing tip must be removed to install it.
Larry
The Van's one is not installed near the wing tip so removal of the wing tip will not help the installation. The device is installed through the access hatch that is made in the lower leading edge skin. I went for the Van's model as it comes with the audio generator and also I knew it would fit the RV9A with it's different wing section. I suspect that the Reddish device was designed more for the standard RV wing section and I may have had trouble adapting it, locating the cutout for the vane and adjusting it for the 9A :confused:
Fin
9A

Fin.

Reddish Mk II for RV-9

I suspect that the Reddish device was designed more for the standard RV wing section and I may have had trouble adapting it, locating the cutout for the vane and adjusting it for the 9A :confused:
Fin
9A

Fin.

Not true. For future reference, there are two versions of the Reddish Stall Warner.
As I understand it, the Mark I version is for the RV-3/4/6/7/8 (& maybe -10) and the Mark II version is for the RV-9.

Back