What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I need a new compressor. What to get?

JCOERS

My 22 gallon oilless Campbell Hausfeld compressor died last night. I'm a little mad because it was only 3 years old. But, at the same time, I always wanted a larger and hopefully quieter one.

Any suggestions?

Very good compressor for the money.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=3216

Sears 2hp 25 gal 120v
-Jeff

00919541000-dlv.jpg

Last edited:
I second Jeff's opinion. It's a great compressor! Sears usually has sales so watch for it. I even might get another one once I take this one to the hangar.

link

For anyone like me that couldn't get Jeff's link for whatever reason, search for Item # 00919541000.

oiled compressor

not sure what size you are looking for, but an oiled machine will likely provide better service. not sure what make mine is. it's red. maybe C-H. don't recall. but I would endorse use of one that has oil lubrication. I use Mobil 1 in mine.

Right now I'm considering a Ingersoll Rand 60 gallon 5hp 2 stage compressor from Tractor Supply for 999.

Any opinions on that one?

Thanks for the quick replies so far!

If possible, get one of those large 60 gallon 240 Volt standup oiled machines from Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

They'll run airtools such as diegrinders with cutoff wheels & scotchbright pads, without running out of steam, and work much better for painting too. I went for years with a 30 gal compressor, but had I known, I'd have gotten one of these, much earlier.

JCOERS said:
Right now I'm considering a Ingersoll Rand 60 gallon 5hp 2 stage compressor from Tractor Supply for 999.

Any opinions on that one?

Thanks for the quick replies so far!

I was typing my reply before seeing this. I'm certainly in favor of the 60 gallon compressors. Mine is a cheaper Kobalt from Lowe's, which was in the $500+ catagory, but does an excellent job.

I've heard the Ingersol Rand GarageMate is exceptionally quiet. Vertical tank, belt driven, 120V, oil type.

I'm wavering between the Craftsman mentioned and the IR.

Ok, this may be the one:

Craftsman Professional 80 gal. Air Compressor, 5.5 hp, Vertical, 2-Stage Pump w/Splash Lubrication

It's on sale at Sears for $819. The guy on the phone says it's really a 7hp, the internet has the hp wrong.

A 2 stage oil lube would be quieter, right?

A 2-stage is many times quieter than a single stage. Don't buy by HP. It means nothing. Buy by CFM. I have a 2-stage, 5 hp, 80 gallon that puts out over 18 CFM @ 125psi. I've been using it in my shop for about 12 years and all I do is drain the water weekly and change the oil yearly.
Mel...DAR

Good point about CFM. I got the specs from the website.

Here ya go:

Item Weight

415.0 lbs.

SCFM Delivery At 100 psi

17.4 SCFM
SCFM Delivery At 175 psi

16.9 SCFM
Tank:
Compressor Tank Capacity

80 gal.
Maximum Compressor psi

175 psi
Compressor Tank Pump Style

2-Stage Oil Lube
Compressor Tank Type

Vertical
Motor-Engine:
Horsepower

5-1/2 hp
Type

Electric
Cylinder Liner

Cast iron
Voltage

240 volts
Color:
Overall Color

Black
Dimensions:
Height

75-1/2 in.
Width

31 in.
Length

33-1/2 in.

I think I'm going to go for it. The Ingersoll Rands at Tractor Supply were higher in price for less compressor.

I had really hoped that my old compressor would have lasted more than 3 years, but I guess I really used the heck out of it. I'm hearing that they may have used plastic parts in the pump on the old one.

Here's what I use:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=134819-48540-K7060HFV&lpage=none

It runs on 220, though. I just had a drop installed in my garage...cost $100 for parts and labor, I think.

Anyhow, this sucker ROCKS, and it's pretty quite too. I LOVE having the 60 gallons....it keeps the workshop quiet except for the occasional 30 seconds of compressor every now and then.

Ditto to anyone that's mentioned the oiless compressors make more noise than a Who concert. My neighboor across the street has one and I just want to smash it into little pieces some days.

I'm glad to hear that your compressor is quieter than an oilless. The oilless one (the one that died) was killing me when it kicked on. People visiting the shop would hit the floor thinking something just blew up.

One of the cool things about the Sears one is that is has an intake muffler. You can see it in the top of the picture. This thing is VERY quiet. It has enough CFM to do everything on an RV just fine. I even painted my empennage with it, I hook it up in parallel with another 40 gallon tank I had that acts as a drier while painting. It also takes up very little room under my table and I can roll it around when I need to.

-Jeff

Ok, just got back from Sears. I ordered the monster 80 gallon.

It's on backorder for 2 weeks. :mad:

Thank you all for your quick input! :D

time management

look at this as time to round up some help to get this leviathan from your truck into the shop when it arrives.

It's nice to see that the Craftsman professional 25 Gallon horizontal is popular. Thats the one I picked up a couple months ago. Try fitting that into a Saturn coupe :).

osxuser said:
It's nice to see that the Craftsman professional 25 Gallon horizontal is popular. Thats the one I picked up a couple months ago. Try fitting that into a Saturn coupe :).
How's the noise? I trust you, Jeff, just want a reinforcement before I spend the $$.

You can talk over the compressor when it comes on. Its the quietest one I've ever heard. Very nice, you would not regret it. :)

-Jeff

RV_7A said:
You can talk over the compressor when it comes on. Its the quietest one I've ever heard. Very nice, you would not regret it. :)

-Jeff

I have the Sears 25 gal compressor and it is the quitest I have ever heard. You can easily carry on a conversation next to it. When I went to buy it the salesman plugged it in and turned it on in the store. He said he wouldn't do that with their oilless ones.

It's great! My dad has a CH 33gal vertical oilless in our garage and i'd say it's HALF the noise, and on top of that, because it's 150PSI and a better pump, it provides better CFM.

So far I've bought two people lunch in order to help unload this monster from my truck. - Hopefully, they won't become scarce when this thing arrives.

Nothing is more bothersome than not being able to pound rivets. But, at least I'm spending some time working on the shop. A few chores I've been putting off.

IR 60 gal from Northern Tools

I'm very pleased with my Ingersoll Rand SS3L3 - 3HP, 10.3 CFM@ 135 PSI, 60 gal, 230v. I got mine for $565 w/ free shipping from Northern Tools.

Since I was curious as to what killed the old compressor, I performed an autopsy Saturday morning.

Campbell Hausfeld used a piece of 3/8" copper tube from the pump output to the tank. The tube was attached with compression fittings on each end. The compression fitting's gasket material had been burned away at the pump outlet.

It looks like the design was not meant for the kind of use that is required to build an airplane. Riveting is fine, but drilling was constantly kicking the pump on which lead to the burned up gasket and an early grave.

This was the 22 gallon 5.5 hp oiless compressor. For reference, future builders may want to stay away from this compressor. It's just not built to take it.

I can fix the problem, but I don't want to tell my wife! She just got over the cost of the new compressor.

Just fix it and then you'll have an "extra" to take to the hangar for tires, etc. :D

Thomas
-8 wings

Your gonna love it

That 2-stage 80 gallon monster is going to rock! You will not belive how much quieter it will be. Also with the 80 gallon tank you'll have a much larger storage capacity before the compressor kicks on. Also since the two stage allows you to get 175 psi in the tank your stuffing even MORE air into the tank giving you even more storage capacity. Anotherwords it won't even break a sweat when your drilling or sanding. Heck you can run TWO airdrills off that thing without a problem. BTW make sure you have a regulator on that thing. You don't want a line pressure of 175 psi supplying your airtools. If you do they'll shortly explode on you! I'm surprised that oiless job lasted you as long as it did. :)

JCOERS said:
TShort,

Good point! :D

I'm a firm believer in the theory that one can never have too many tools! :D
I just can't see how people sell their tools once the project is done! :eek:

Thomas
-8 wings

I just picked up a Rockwell 90? snake drill off e-bay. We have one at my job that is like 30million years old, and still works great, so I figured this was a fairly safe 100$ investment :).

Back