What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tunnel Harness WH RV-12 Tunnel

gblwy

Well Known Member
Hi,

I've started the wiring, and identified three wires in the Tunnel Harness that are not described in 31-04 or 31-05, or anywhere else I can see.

From looking at the Mitch Wire Table they appear to be used for "Data Transfer". Certainly they are located just aft of the fuel flow transducer. Can anyone confirm if these are referenced later in the build?

Thanks...Keith

Hi,

I've started the wiring, and identified three wires in the Tunnel Harness that are not described in 31-04 or 31-05, or anywhere else I can see.

From looking at the Mitch Wire Table they appear to be used for "Data Transfer". Certainly they are located just aft of the fuel flow transducer. Can anyone confirm if these are referenced later in the build?

Thanks...Keith

Refer to page 31-14 Fig. 3 showing the 3 wires terminating in a 9 pin D-sub.
Most laptops nowadays do not have a serial connection, so the Dynon 180 comes with a 9 pin to USB adapter so you can hook up your laptop and upgrade firmware, software and configure the onscreen checklists.
Tony

31-14

Oh, bug**r!

Thanks very much for pointing this out. Don't know how I missed it, but it would still have been better if the plans indicated each branch from the main harness as it is encountered. As it happens I only need to snip a handful of tie-wraps so no big deal.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to bail out a novice ;-)

Cheers...Keith

Pins?

Final question on the Dynon data wires...

Page 31-14 Step 2 says "Insert the pins..." My cables don't have pins on. Should they?

Thanks...Keith

Keith,

Greetings from across the pond!

My kit came with the pins, but I think you have an earlier kit which didn't. Before you can communicate with the Dynon you will have to get the pins and the crimper, or borrow one if possible. Because I just recently broke a pin off in the main connector I ordered an inexpensive crimper and some pins from Stein. The crimper was only about $30. Not an industrial strength crimper, but suitable for us amateurs. Anyway, you won't need this connector for quite some time so you can just bundle up the wires and leave them for the time being.

John

Tunnel and Optional Harness lengths

Hi Guys,

I'm toiling to provide sufficient slack in the harnesses to allow these two cables to run right forward towards the lower firewall behind the rudder pedals.

How much slack is there above the panel shelf where these plug into the Dynon? Could I push the cables down another 4 inches or so from the top?

One of the problems may be at the left end under the seats where the seven spade connectors attach to the autopilot servo (I assume). I'm not sure how much slack you need to leave where this cable exits through a rectangular hole in a seat rib.

Thanks...Keith

Page 31-14 Steps 2 & 3

I received the avionics package a few days ago. The Dynon harness has a D-Sub 9-pin connector on a cable extending less than a foot out of the back of the Dynon. Following the wires, I determined that this 9-Pin connector is used for data transfer. I had already put a data-transfer 9-pin D-Sub connector in the tunnel near the fuel flow transducer for this same purpose. Why are there two Data Transfer connectors? I traced the circuit in the switch panel and found that the data transfer wires from the tunnel are not connected. I had followed the plans and put that 9-pin connector in the tunnel for nothing. Evidently Van's has made a wiring change. Is there a revision for Page 31-14 that I am not aware of? Some builders might connect to the D-Sub in the tunnel to update the Dynon and wonder why it doesn't work. It is not even hooked up to anything. It sure would be helpful to have a schematic of the switch panel so that I do not have to follow circuit traces and check continuity with an ohm meter.
Joe

9 Pin Serial connector

This is for the Dual Dynon Set up I would think. The one in the tunnel is for the D-180. I think the short one is for the D-100. I have both Dynons and there was a problem in the first series of the D-100s. We had to add another 9 pin connector for updating the D-100. It was attached to the back of the D-100. You would unscrew the D-100 and slide it out to access it. Do you have the Dual Dynon Set up? If not you may have been sent the wrong wire. The wires from the one in the tunnel should go to the 37 pin connector labeled WH-RV12-TUNNEL. SEE PAGE 31-14 Dated 9/23/09. The WH-F60(WHITE/BLK should go to pin pin 34, WH-F59(WHT/YEL should go to pin 13, & WH-F58(WHT/ORN) should go to pin 8 in the D-SUB-37 pin connector labeled WH-rv12-tunnel. Last I heard.
John
RV12 N1212K

The Data connector...

You will probably want to connect a computer to the 9 pin data D-sub frequently so it is a good idea to route it up out of the tunnel before installing the tunnel cover and all of its screws. The wires are long enough to route it up thru the hole at the top of the tunnel cover.
I have hooked up to the Dynon a number of times: to modify my checklists, to upgrade the firmware, and after each test flight card to download the data logs and archive them as the PAP stipulates. The plans show the D-sub tie wrapped to the harness in the tunnel like it will hardly ever be used. No so.

Tony

Thanks for advice

Jetguy, I have the FlightDek-180, no D-100. Thanks for explaining the cable difference. Stein must have sent me the wrong cable. I will give them a call.

Tony T., that is good advice about the D-sub 9 pin connector. After inspection, I plan to do something like this picture of my friend's plane.
Joe
DSCN4216a.jpg

DSCN4215a.jpg

Last edited:
Wiring revision

I called Stein today about the 9 pin D-Sub connector attached to the Dynon FlightDek D-180 harness and about the 3 missing wires going to the control board: WHT/ORG, WHT/YEL/ WHT/BLK. He said that the cables are made to Van's specifications. Evidently Van's has changed the location of the 9 pin D-Sub data transfer connector, but has not yet issued a service bulletin. Instead of locating it in the tunnel where it is not readily accessible, it is now located on the back of the Dynon EFIS. For those builders who receive the revised avionics harness, the 9 pin D-Sub in the tunnel will not be used.
Joe

Back