What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intake gasket

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I have an 0-360 and a small oil leak on an intake seal right next to the cylinder. I loosened the rubber connector tube and removed the two bolts and cleaned the gasket. I applied some gasket shellac and retorqued. Gasket looked good, but still seeping. Any remedies other than a new gasket? Anyone know the part #?
Thanks Ron

An intake leak could cause a lean condition.

Do you mean the GASKET, 2 bolt flange? My Textron database says it's part number 73346. Buy several.

I never use the same gasket twice. Think of gaskets alike the bearings in the engine. Once you crush them they take a particular form. Loosening and then tightening / crushing them again may or may not crush the same way.

I had an exhaust leak at the exhaust flange. I machined the face of the flange so it was perfectly flat. New gasket, hi temp orange gasket maker, no more leak. The key is flat surfaces that line up & match perfectly.

Hope this helps!

Many times the leak is the push rod tube on the top of the cylinder and the oil is running down the center fin area and it looks like the intake gasket is leaking. The intake flange gasket really shouldn't be leaking oil maybe fuel seepage but not oil, as there isn't any oil present inside the intake pipe.
Good Luck and Happy New Year,
Mahlon ?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

What surprises me after Mahlon's advise, ( I believe what he is saying) is that I had this leak for quite some time and the only time it stopped was right after I resealed it. I looked for sign of oil on top near the pushrod tubes and cooling fins. I did not see any evidence of oil. I'm now wandering if the outward manifold flange bolt could have been drilled too deep and hit into the drain oil line port? Then following thru the thread of the bolt. There is no sign of oil above the intake flange.
Thanks all Ron

Back