What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

0-360, Bendix mag problem.

Jamie Aust

Well Known Member
I was very happy to be able to hang my engine on the 1st Jan 2010.

p1011839.jpg

However, my right Bendix mag hits my battery box.

p1031841.jpg

My Mag is a 10-349305-1
I have just had both of them overhauled. I tried to move the battery box, but when I do this im not able to insert/remove the battery because of the engine mount cross tube in the way.
I have done a search and have not seen anyone else have this problem.
I dont want to move the battery box to the pilot side if I can get away with it.
Can some one tell me if slick mags are smaller in length ?
What about P/E mag length ?
Or just go electronic ignition like a plsma II.

:(

I guess this answers the question I just posted in LSI discussion, looks like the size of the Bendix 1200 series is a little big for the RV mount at least on the right side :eek:

Hi Walt,

As I side note , we had to take both mags off to get the engine into position on the mount.

I did measure the total length from engine block to spark plug lead out is 6.3 inches ( 160 mm ) could someone measure a slick mag and let me know if its shorter please.

I have a slick mag sitting in my tool box at the hanger I could measure tomorrow if you don't get an reply sooner. I do know that the slicks will fit without hitting the battery box though so they must be shorter.

Slick mag 4370 (right mag no impulse) is 5 3/8 inches from the mounting surface to the back. I just sold my set.

I tried to move the battery box, but when I do this im not able to insert/remove the battery because of the engine mount cross tube in the way.

Rather than spending on a new ignition system, why don't you just move the battery box and redesign it so its hinged such that the whole box comes out if you want to change the battery?

Jamie, with the "A" model, you can rotate the battery box 90' to the left and have the top face out the side of the cowl. Move the box down and close to the side hinge of the lower cowl. You will need to wedge the open part of the box away from the firewall so you can slide the battery into the box past the hinge. This makes the battery real easy to work on. You just slide it out like a book.

Thanks for the help, I dont want to have the battery on its side or stepped out. :(

Im looking at going with LSE plasma II, could someone tell me the length of the hall effect module. On the LSE web page, they dont show its legth.

Thanks for the help, I dont want to have the battery on its side or stepped out. :(

Im looking at going with LSE plasma II, could someone tell me the length of the hall effect module. On the LSE web page, they dont show its legth.

2 and 1/8" plus about another inch or so for the wire connection....................

Last edited:
Reindex the Mag?

Jaimie,
If you reindexed the mag anti-clockwise would it then clear the battery box?
I cannot tell from your picture, but it appears to me that the axis of rotation would move the mag case up from the battery box.
If you can, post another picture from a view 90 degrees to the battery box if possible.
Sometimes the simple solutions are the best, and I would hate to see you spend many dollars if not necessary. PM me if you have any questions about doing this.
Good luck!

Hi Mark,

I went with a new Plasma II ignition system from Vans. Thanks for the offer to help with the problem.

One step forward, two steps back.
I was not having much luck with the slider canopy, so before I through that thing across the work shop, I decided to get back to replacing my Bendix mag with the shiny new Light speed ignition Plasma II.

p1241903.jpg

So I pulled the old one out and put them side by side.

p1241905.jpg

The Plasma II is much smaller ! All I needed to do now was pull the pin and remove the nut and washer to get the toothed gear off. This is the first step back, It looks like a need a special tool to be able to remove it. I guess I will have to visit the engine rebuild shop to get some help to do this.
Anyway , while I had the old mag off, why not try a test fit to see how much more clearance I now have.

p1241935.jpg

Wow, what a difference, I now have so much more room ! Anyone with a keen eye will also note my second step back all within the last 30 minutes. The two gold colored spacers that hold the Mag/ Plasma in position are around the wrong way. This is because the Plasma Diameter is larger than the Bendix mag. That means that they also do not fit.
While I will be at the engine shop this week, I will ask them the best way to fix this also.
Maybe I should go back to working on the cowl. :eek:

For whatever it is worth, those Bendix 1200's are worth lots of money, don't give it away for cheap.

For whatever it is worth, those Bendix 1200's are worth lots of money, don't give it away for cheap.

Hi Stephen, how much do you think then $100 / $400 I dont know ?

Update,

I was able to get the engine shop to remove the toothed gear and fit it to the plasma II.

p1271939.jpg

I also was able to get these mounting clips, Old gold ones on the left are too big, new ones on the right are fine. I didn't know that you could get two different sizes, so I'm posting this, in the hope that if anyone else has this problem, they can see how to fix it.

p1271937.jpg

With it all together and mounted in place. Thats now one less item I have to worry about, now it's back to the canopy..... maybe the cowl. :cool:

p1271943.jpg

My Skyview system turned up yesterday, I will post some pictures of that on the weekend. :)

slick mag dims.

slick mag measures for back of motor case 6 5/8" with pulse coupler, without pulse coupler
5 1/2" so if i did not have coupler on right mag i would have clearance as i have coupler on left mag. my resolve is to move battery box outboard at same elevation with hinge on outboard side bolted on hinge side to firewall outboard side and plate nut 2 location on inboard side will have pics tommorow

Nice job Almarsh.
I wanted an EI anyway :), I think things happen for a reason, I my case im glad they did.

Back