What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleaner Pitot/Static Plumbing

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
A few folks read a post I made a couple of weeks ago about upgrading the EFIS AHRS and Autopilot in my RV-8. Some will remember this photo of the back of the panel where I talked about using lacing cord to replace all the cable ties that made the installation a bit ?clunky?.

IMG_7487.JPG

But few know that I got a call from old ?clipped-digit? (Stein) at Steinair, complimenting me on my lacing and harassing me about my plumbing! Yup, it was and always has been a bit awful ? too much tubing, and all those gosh-awful Nyloseal fasteners. He challenged me to do better, and before I knew it, a set of those cool ?push-on? pitot/static fittings were on their way to Houston. I felt like a kid with a new erector set for Christmas ? all sorts of cool parts that can go together in a lot of different ways.

IMG_7497.JPG

The most amazing thing about these easy-to-use fittings is that they cost just about the same as the nylon fittings you order from ACS (In my book, the aviation Nyloseal fittings are just way overpriced when you consider that they probably cost pennies to make?). I had to order a few to finish my upgrade, and after I?d ordered them, I happened on Stein?s pricing for the push-ons, and kicked myself for not switching over. It really won?t cost but a couple dollars more to do an airplane with the modern connectors, and they are so much easier to use. Oh, the other cool thing Stein has ? two different colors of tubing! No more wondering if that tube you are seeing through one eye while upside-down under the panel is Pitot or Static. I arbitrarily used Orange for Pitot and Clear(white) for Static. Pretty hard to get that backwards.

One of the reasons that I had so much tubing back there was because my panel is removable, and I wanted to have service loops so I could get the panel in my lap before disconnecting everything. The funny part is that, as a linear thinker, I had a very logical process for connecting the system. The pitot/static lines come up the left side of the airplane, behind the panel. So I used service loops to connect them to the airspeed and autopilot on the left side of the panel, then crossed over to the right side for the altimeter and VSI, and then had service loops to go back to the forward-mounted AHRS. Got the critical backups first, then the fancy stuff. Makes sense, right? Well, it seemed to five years ago when I built it. But looking at it again, I realized that I had way more plumbing than I needed. Why the heck have two sets of service loops when the AHRS is bolted to the ship?!

For this go-around, I took the ship?s plumbing direct to two manifolds, from which comes a line for each AHRS, then a service loop for each (pitot and static) to the panel, connecting to ?Y?s? to the backup instruments. Here is the new back of the panel:

IMG_7501.JPG

And here is the ship?s plumbing to the AHRS (you can see the connection on the manifold for the panel service loop on the left):

IMG_7502.JPG

When we visited Stein?s place on our Christmas trip, he showed me the two tricks to making these things work. First, you need a clean, square cut end on the tubing ? he sells a cheap cutter that does this. Second, as you push the tubing in, there are two distinct ?clicks? you will feel. The first is a tempting place to stop ? it feels like it has connected ? but it has just touched the O-ring. Push farther - the tubing will go in through the O-ring, and you will feel the full stop position ? now it is nicely seated and leak free. I took the plane up with its new system and all worked well from the get-go.

I?m not going back to the Nyloseal systems ? I have had enough fun trying to get good seals with a variety of tubing. These new connectors (and boy, I really like the two colors of tubing!) are easy to connect and easy to take apart. Definitely worth the time it took me to retrofit (about two hours), and more than worth it on a new build ? at leats for me.

Paul

Great write-up, Paul!

I know some folks swear by the nylo-seal connectors, but the guy doing my IFR static check was not one of them. When he showed me that half of my connectors were leaking and recommended the push fittings I just did them all, too. Didn't swing for the colored tubing, though, as my panel is pretty simple.

Timely story!

I've been trying to find a slow leak somewhere in my static system. I've resigned that the best thing is to just start over. So this is great news.

Its not obvious from looking at the fittings how you undo a connection if you need to...give us a quick description?

I've been trying to find a slow leak somewhere in my static system. I've resigned that the best thing is to just start over. So this is great news.

Its not obvious from looking at the fittings how you undo a connection if you need to...give us a quick description?
You just push the small ring on the fitting in and pull the tube out. I did my airplane from the beginning with these fittings (some from Safeair1 and some from Stein) and they have been bulletproof so far. I have disconnected and reconnected a few times for various reasons, and they work great!

You just push the small ring on the fitting in and pull the tube out. I did my airplane from the beginning with these fittings (some from Safeair1 and some from Stein) and they have been bulletproof so far. I have disconnected and reconnected a few times for various reasons, and they work great!

Truck air brake systems have been using a system like this for years. Their fittings appear to be smaller in bulk.

What is the minimum I.D. tubing size for use on pitot/static systems? Lines used on truck air systems are very lite and compact and can be purchased at any NAPA auto parts store.

I second that emotion

I just replaced my NyloSeal fittings with the push-on style from Stein last night. Now my rump is sore from kicking myself for even buying the NyloSeal stuff in the first place. I have not even flown the plane yet, but have been going through it trying to improve upon things and this was a no-brainer.
Now more than ever, it's important to support Stein so Jed can afford this new baby (yeah, right. Like anyone can really afford a new baby :>)

Last edited:
The Safeair website seems to use the same fittings in their kits and they have a warning to NOT use NyloFlow, Tygon, or other tubing types. Does this mean I have to replace all the pitot and static lines if I want to switch to these?

Thanks,

Stein says 'OK"

I asked Stein when I ordered my connectors if Van's standard pitot-static tubing was OK to use with the connectors he sells and he assured me it would be fine. I do not know about SafeAir's product. Having installed Stein's connectors to the standard tubing, it all seems to be nice and tight, but I have not flown yet. If it doesn't work, I'm gonna give Stein the finger. He could use it :>)

I asked Stein when I ordered my connectors if Van's standard pitot-static tubing was OK to use with the connectors he sells and he assured me it would be fine. I do not know about SafeAir's product. Having installed Stein's connectors to the standard tubing, it all seems to be nice and tight, but I have not flown yet.
Not only Vans clear/white tubing, but he 1/4 inch aluminum pitot as well.
I just changed all the behind the panel pitot/static lines to the newer fittings and colored tubing. I just used a coupling/connector to hook onto the existing lines coming from the wing and rear and took off with the new components. I test flew a couple days ago and all seems fine. It was very easy! Thanks Stein!!

Stein's marketing plan - It worked

Stein is devious. He knew if he could get a product endorsement from you the rest of us would follow like ducklings in a row. Well - it worked. Now I'm gonna have to find a second job so I can find the funds to buy all the goodies I need that Stein provides.

Seeing that I am now entering the pitot/static phase of the build this has sold me on those fittings instead of the traditional ones that most get from ACS.

Does anyone know if there is a connector to go from the small tubing that Vans uses for the ports themselves to the 1/4 stuff. Inquiring minds want to know.

metal tubing

For what it's worth, push-on fittings will seal reliably to metallic tubing as well, as long as the tube end is square and deburred. I've been using them for over 20 years for pneumatic controls. They have proven very reliable, in my experience. I've even seen them used on automotive fuel systems. Not something I'm personally comfortable with, but they weren't leaking.

Number of connections - does it matter?

A big thread gap, but timelessly relevant.

I am doing the tubing being the panel right now. There are 5 different instruments that need P-S and one with A connections. They are situated at 360 degrees of compass and different altitudes. I have a temporary decision impasse. Do I serially connect the instruments with a tee breakout for each one, or use a manifold concept where they all come to one place?

Manifold - pro - 5 fewer connections Con - more clutter tubing runs
Serial - pro - Cleaner looking tubing runs - Con - obviously more connections.

Druthers - All things being equal, I really like the cleaner look, but have a high reliability expectation. If the connections are highly reliable, then it will go in favor of a cleaner look.

Thoughts from the experienced?

I leaned towards neat and tidy while maintaining the ability to pull the whole panel out. I have one strategic service loop of the tubing that comes to the panel. My instrument panel is easily removable for service/upgrades.

Bevan

Back