What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD402/403 mount brackets

danweseman

Hi All Im Working on a old-4 kit (#717) im preparing to final rivet the Skins on the fuse. I need info about the "engine mount" weldments. The ones installed both upper and lower are both .071 thick with the corners welded . The lower ones also have a large (5inches H x 5 inches L) 0.125 Al triangle gusset riveted in the side of the steel bracket and into the vertical aluminum angle firewall stiffener. By the info i can find these seem to be the heavy one? But the new set of plans i bought a few months ago(to be sure to build it with the latest updates) Show the lower brakets being .125 thick ? Ive have never seen ones .125 thick in all the -4s ive looked over including several built at my airpark? Dose any one have a set of the latest ones form Vans , if so are they .125 thick? Also the foward side skin is .040 ? Thanks for any info or advice Dan Weseman

WD402 and WD403 old vs. new

Here's a picture to give you the idea:

bqZVq_EKfwIVgwJIH8mxfg

The white bracket is an old WD402. Notice the split between the webs that join the bracket to the longeron. The unpainted bracket is a new WD403. The longeron webs on this bracket are joined together with a common bend. Sorry I didn't have two generations of the same bracket to show in the photo, but you should get the idea. The upper and lower brackets share the same construction, whether they're the old split style or the new style with the bend.

Also, the new WD402 and WD403 brackets are made from heavier material.

Hope this helps.

M

403 info from Vans

below is the reply from Gus at Vans.Mine look just like the "black" ones in the photo above. Per Vans the current parts (revison C) are twice as thick as the ones now installed. But now is a easy time to change them so I will drill them out.The upper brakets (402) are correct at .071 Thick Thanks Dan Weseman

from Gus at vans
The current parts have the WD-403C made from .125, the A from .063 and
the D from .080 4130. The part number has always been the same, so that
won't tell you how thick they are. If you want new 403s they are $44.80 ea

Back