VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-18-2009, 06:07 PM

Default Custom made Bolt Cutter Rivet Squeezer?

Has anyone heard of or tried to build this tool before?

It's a novel idea to get a quick and dirty rivet squeezer out of a $15 bolt cutter you might have lying around.

http://www.gunjunkie.net/index.php/T...vet-Tools.html
Installing Finishing Kit

The art to flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 PM

Default Cool!

Wow, that's a great idea, I think I'll try it! Not as a replacement for my "real" rivet squeezer from Avery, but in addition to. A key difference between the two is the angle of the handles relative to the angle of the rivet. With the traditional rivet squeezer, the handles are more-or-less parallel to the rivet. With this modified bolt cutter idea, the handles are perpendicular to the rivet (kind of like an "alligator" pneumatic squeezer). Most of the time, the former is more convenient. But I've bumped into several situations where the former is impossible due to restricted access by a structure, etc., and something like this modified bolt cutter would solve the problem. A lot cheaper than an alligator squeezer, and that sounds good for the half a dozen rivets on the airplane for which I'll need it!
www.kalinskyconsulting.com/rvproj/
Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Neat idea but there is no adjustment for different material stackup thicknesses and the different associated rivet lengths...

I guess you could make for different tools to cover the common sizes
Old 12-18-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Neat idea but there is no adjustment for different material stackup thicknesses and the different associated rivet lengths...

I guess you could make for different tools to cover the common sizes
Or you could use simple shims of various thicknesses between the tool and the rivet.
www.kalinskyconsulting.com/rvproj/
Old 12-18-2009, 07:36 PM

I would like to make a nicopress tool like that, but I haven't got around to it.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:19 PM

Default typically used to build AK's

The modified bolt cutter squeezers are typically used to rivet AK 47's together using steel rivets... hardly a precise endeavor as many tutorials will suggest just using a hammer, flat plate to buck the round head, and a metal punch to form the shop head on those steel rivets...

I wouldn't put the bolt cutter based squeezer in the same category has my hand or pneumatic aviation rivet squeezers...
I Timothy 2:1-2 I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.

I Thesalonians 4:11-12 Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:24 PM

It was definately never meant to replace the hand or pnumatic squeezer. Just a cool idea to get something for those hard to reach places
Installing Finishing Kit

The art to flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.