What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gas cap maintenance

turbo

Well Known Member
img0006ae.jpg

this is the second time i have replaced the 2 cent roll pins in the gas caps. looks like this one did not get replaced in time. i ended up braking off the tab on the cap. it was not coming out very easy. oh well. vans to the rescue. if you feel the adjustment change in the cap it probably means the roll pin is deforming. thats my 2 cents. enjoy your flying. turbo:cool:

I ordered an extra gas cap from Van's last week. Will just have to loose some personal weight to be able to keep this in my tool kit.. :)

Over the years, minor issues have involved..... leaving the cap off after re-fueling, and falling off the wing at rotation (someone eles's RV). Leaking around the O-ring in flight with a full tank. And not being able to secure the cap because it got too tight and required some adjustment.

I just figured that an extra cap for those out of the way places, couldn't hurt.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Don't put another roll pin in, find the correct number drill with the solid, non fluted part that is long enough, and use that as your new pin. Just cut to length

The secret is in the adjustment. Don't adjust it too tight. Keep the "O" ring lubricated and it will seal fine with a looser adjustment. I use Lubriplate. Others use fuel lube. I haven't broken a roll pin in over 16 years of operation.

A little OT...

..leaving the cap off after re-fueling, and falling off the wing at rotation ...

Is there a way to fit a chain between the cap and the bottom of the filler neck, or would it be better to lose the cap than have it flailing around on top of the wing in flight? Or maybe just add "check fuel caps" to pre-start, pre-taxi and/or pre-takeoff checklist? Just asking.

Is there a way to fit a chain between the cap and the bottom of the filler neck, or would it be better to lose the cap than have it flailing around on top of the wing in flight? Or maybe just add "check fuel caps" to pre-start, pre-taxi and/or pre-takeoff checklist? Just asking.

I have a short pre-takeoff checklist, laminated in plastic that includes every neglection mistake I can think of, including locking the canopy. "Check fuel caps" is included.

BTW---- it's just a thin fan shaped (fuel) spray across the wing, when the cap is absent. :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

BTW---- it's just a thin fan shaped (fuel) spray across the wing, when the cap is absent. :D

I was guessing $ shaped:D - I've done it twice in 27 years of C-170 ownership, but it being a high wing, I've never seen the shape of the plume. I did however feel a bit of suction on my wallet...

The secret is in the adjustment. Don't adjust it too tight. Keep the "O" ring lubricated and it will seal fine with a looser adjustment. I use Lubriplate. Others use fuel lube. I haven't broken a roll pin in over 16 years of operation.

I used EZlube fuel lube too. Seals great - but gets very sticky in the cold north eastern winter making it a pain to pull out the cap. Still - better than losing fuel or breaking the cap though.

RV-6 Phase 1

thanks for the help

mel, thanks for the info. i have a lot of hours on my rv but i need to take care of the lube better. ill try the lubriplate. is it automotive?

I've always wondered about these caps being water tight. I always seem to have a little water in the sump after a rain, no matter how I adjust the caps. Maybe it would b e a good idea to put some tape over it if you know it is going to rain?

water in fuel tank

I've always wondered about these caps being water tight. I always seem to have a little water in the sump after a rain, no matter how I adjust the caps. Maybe it would b e a good idea to put some tape over it if you know it is going to rain?

Every time I washed the airplane, I always found water out the quick drain, and had assumed it came in from the fuel cap. However, today, I only washed the bottom of the airplane to remove the oil, and again found water??? Only possible entry would be the fuel tank vents on the bottom. Is this a potential problem for those flying in the rain? I don't because I have a wood prop.

Bill
RV-4 Slider
Sky Dancing

If you use the solid 1/16" drill blank instead of the roll pin and use Fuel Lube to lube the o-rings, it will not leak. The small center o-ring is the one that will leak on my airplane if there is NO FUEL LUBE on it.

Only broke 1 of the 1/16" drill blanks in the last 12-years and 2,335+ hobbs hours. Water does not get in when you lube the o-rings.

Back