What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll-Your-Own: HID lights

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I just finished installing HID lights and thought it a good idea to post what I did.

I am installing two LE lights (one per wing) in my RV-6. I started with Duckwork's basic 55watt kits and purchased a slim-ballast HID kit on-line.

I chose this particular HID kit since the ballast has mounting points cast into the case. There are quite a few kit out there that have no mounting and just come with double-sided tape - no thanks.

I ordered the kit with H3c (H3 compact) bulbs with 4600K color temp. I am using the reflector from the duckworks kit so it is important that the correct bulb be used to match the design of the reflector focal length.

Here you can see the setup being bench tested with the HID bulb installed in the reflector that came with the Duckworks kit.

FP15112009A0005C.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the 55watt halogen and the 35watt HID. This is pointed at the ceiling of my garage. The HID kit actually draws ~40watts once warmed up and around ~45-48watts during startup.

FP15112009A0005E.jpg

I mounted the ballast and transformer on the outboard end rib. I fabbed a bracket for the transformer out of 0.025. The bracket is a single piece riveted to the rib and the retainer strap is screwed down to hold the transformer in place. I lined the bracket with foam tape as a cushion. The bracket also has a lip at either end preventing the transformer from sliding out even if the clamping force doesn't hold it.

The ballast is attached with three #6 screws and nutplates.

Ignore the cushion clamp and hardware. That clamp is too small and the hardware is wrong. I just bolted it up to see how everything would come together.

FP15112009A0005F.jpg

Closeup of the transformer bracket.

FP15112009A0005G.jpg

Here is a picture of the light up and running. I polished the mounting bracket and painted the inside of the bay white.

FP15112009A0005H.jpg

For the taxi light, I am going to use the lens that came with the duckworks kit, this will provide a less focused beam.

All told, I spent ~$185 for everything. I bought the duckworks kit from a board member for a little less than retail which saved a few bucks, otherwise you are probably looking at around $210-220 for eveything if bought new. Keep in mind, this is for two lights, not per light!!

Very nice set up Wings. Where did you find the ballast assemblies?

David,

I bought the HID kit off e-bay. It would appear that there are only a couple companies that make these things. Everyone is selling the same couple of units with just different tags on them. The kit cost was $62 shipped including an additional $10 for the H3c bulbs. The listed price for the kit on e-bay is $51.99 shipped.

Back