What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In-wing camera for aerial photography

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
[note to DR - I am happy to give this to you, or anyone else, as a PDF file if you would like to put it into the archives that way - it's too big as a Word file}

Being a geologist, I?m always looking at the landscape and have taken a lot of photos out airplane windows over the years. In my work, I also have utilized standard aerial photographs taken by the BLM or other government agencies, but these are taken at odd times and from a standard platform. I was interested in being able to do my own photography so that I could get a broad or close view, or even oblique views, and also so I could do low-sun-angle photography which highlights some geologic features. Normal aerial photos that are commercially available do none of this. So when I started building my 9A, one of the personal modifications I figured I had to have was an in-wing camera. Ideally, this camera would be operable from within the cockpit, and ideally it would be tiltable to get an oblique view if necessary (yes, one can tilt the airplane, but doing so usually results in a turn rather than straight flight).

The solution ended up being fairly simple and this document is for anyone wishing to duplicate my effort, or as a starting point for your own modification.

The first question was where to put the camera, and I decided that the wing bay just outboard of the bellcrank was probably the best place. It is out of the way of any interference with the control rods etc. and is still somewhat near the middle of the wing which was designed to minimize any potential vibration. I calculated the window size necessary to allow the camera to tilt by about 30 degrees forward-aft or left-right, and ended up with a square 8 inches on a side. Since the wing skin is a structural member, I wanted to make certain that I did not compromise wing strength, so I added two ribs parallel to the spar and spaced about 9 inches apart. These were fabricated from 0.032 Al, and lightening holes drilled. Attachments to the original wing ribs were simply 0.032 Al that was riveted to the wing ribs and nutplates added for attachment of the cross-ribs. Thus the cross-ribs are removable if necessary to access other parts of the wing structure. Note in Figure 1 that the cross-ribs are not as thick (top to bottom of the wing) as the original ribs, thus eliminating any potential chafing on the wing skin.

camerafigure1.jpg

Figure 1. Photograph of the extra wing cross-ribs in the bay outboard of the bellcrank.

I fabricated a backing plate for the camera window from 3/16-inch Al plate (fortunately I have access to the appropriate metalworking tools). In Figure 2, the ultimate resting place for the window is on the step in the center of the plate. The interior dimensions of the opening are 8 x 8 inches, and the step that holds the window is about 3/8? wide. The depth of cut is slightly more than the thickness of the window material (in my case, this is 3/32? plexiglass but one could use whatever dimension is appropriate for the window thickness desired).

camerafigure2.jpg

Figure 2. Metal backing plate for the plexiglass window fabricated from ?-inch plate stock.

The next step was cutting the wing skin. In Figure 3, you can see the wing skin after cutting to fit the dimensions of the backing plate. In my case, the hole is 8.75? square. I drilled and dimpled holes for 4-40 screws on about 1.25? centers (probably overkill). Figure 3 shows the drilled holes before dimpling. I countersunk the skins and added four rivets (see the odd holes in Figure 4 closeup) to hold the backing plate in place on the skin, but most of the holding power will come from the screws. Screw holes were tapped for 4-40 screws into the Al backing plate.

camerafigure3.jpg

Figure 3. Backing plate fitted to the wing skin. (apologies for the quality of the photo)

camerafigure4.jpg

Figure 4. Closeup of the backing plate showing countersinks for the wing skin and one of four rivet holes (the odd-spaced rivet hole, not countersunk as much) that holds the backing plate to the skin.

This finished the skin part of the installation. The camera mount itself is a pair of fabricated boxes (Figure 5). The outside box has a bellcrank bearing (about $25 from ACS) on either side of the long axis of the box, and these are simply bolted onto the cross-ribs, allowing the box to rotate on the roll axis of the airplane. Within this box is a slightly smaller box that is similarly attached to the large box with bellcrank bearings, allowing for rotation in the pitch axis. Although I have not finished the controls for these rotating boxes, they will be driven by radio-controlled car servo motors (available from most RC hobby stores for about $25) that are wired to a pair of rheostats in the cockpit. Figure 5 shows a test installation ? the final installation (Figure 6) used an aluminum tube spacer rather than the wood one.

camerafigure5.jpg

Figure 5. Nested camera boxes. It is important to get the holes in the two ribs in the right places so that the outer box can rotate freely.

The camera (I use a Canon Powershot G9,12 megapixel camera, but any good quality camera would do) is just mounted within the smaller box using a standard threaded tripod mount bolt with a knurled knob. I actually ended up fabricating a couple of Z-brackets to make sure that the camera would stay in place (Figure 6). The camera is padded all around the Z-brackets and the back using that rubberized, webby shelf padding available at Lowes or other home stores. This helps minimize vibrations and rubbing.

Part 2 of 3

camerafigure6.jpg

Figure 6. Camera in place showing the Z-brackets that help stabilize the camera. In the background the power wires for the tilt servos can be seen, but the servos have not been installed yet. Hey, the airplane got painted!

From this bay, I ran the following wires into the cockpit: 1) USB cable (have to cut one end off to get it through the holes etc.); 2) two wires for the servo motors that will drive the pitch and roll axes; 3) a power wire for the camera; and 4) a pair of wires to run the on-off switch on the camera.
Power for the camera is supplied via a 3-terminal regulator. The regulator circuit consists of a L78S75CV 7.5V 2A regulator and a 0.1uf cap on the input and a 1uf cap on the output. The caps are epoxied on to the regulator and mounted with a single screw to the wing rib in the camera bay (Figure 7). We then built a small battery replacement, so that the camera runs off ship?s power ? no need to ever change batteries!

camerafigure7.jpg

Figure 7. Voltage regulator for camera (mostly too small to see easily in this photo) attached to one of the ribs.

Providing the remote turn-on for the camera was a little challenging because the circuitry of most cameras is surface mount on circuit films, but the camera was opened up and the power switch, which is about 4mm square, was removed and two wires were soldered to the switch circuit pads to be connected to a normally-open push button switch on the instrument panel (Figure 8). A drop of silicone rubber was put on the wires where they were soldered to the circuit board and the wires were looped around the camera strap eye for strain relief. Warning! It is very easy to ruin surface mount circuit films so you need a very fine tip, temperature-regulated soldering iron and a steady hand. A 100W soldering gun isn?t going to cut it.

Figure 8 shows the panel switches. The tiny toggle is camera power, and the red PTT turns the camera on and off. The two brass screws are where the rheostats will end up for controlling the pitch and roll servos.

camerafigure8.jpg

Figure 8. Panel controls. The tiny toggle below the red button is the power supply. The red button is the camera on-off switch (normally open). The two brass screws in the center of the inset panel will eventually be the rheostat controls for the tilt servos.

The entire camera operation is controlled from within the cockpit (preferably by the passenger so the pilot can fly) using a laptop computer through the USB cable. I use a program from Breeze Systems, Inc. that allows remote control of the camera. They have programs for a number of cameras currently on the market, and it?s probably worth making sure that you can find a camera that works with the remote software before installing in your wing. I think the cost was $50 for the software. It has a live viewfinder (full or partial screen), and one can control all of the normal camera functions from the laptop (not sure about the flash, but probably so, even though I would never use it). Taking a photo is as simple as pushing a button. I normally operate at 1/1000 second exposure and have infinite depth of field. I have taken photos from 50 feet AGL at 150 mph with essentially no blurriness using this setting, but its worth testing for your particular setup. Reload time between photos is about 1/3 to ? second, so it is easy to get multiple photos quickly. I find that flying at 4000? AGL, I get about 50% overlap between photos (allowing for stereo viewing) by taking photos at about 4-5 second intervals. One must shoot faster when flying lower.

camerafigure9.jpg

Figure 9. Cover plates for the window. The L one is installed when I don?t figure I will likely be using the camera. The R one is normally installed to hold the window in place when the camera is operative.

camerafigure10.jpg

Figure 10. Final installation viewed from the wingtip.

I would be happy to answer questions, provide info etc. Next post will contain some example photos.

greg

Part 3 of 3 - example photos

One of these photos is rather large, so I have just provided a thumbnail and a link. The image quality in all of the embedded photos has been downgraded to fit 800 x 600 format.

herlongfrom5000agl.jpg

Herlong (CA) prison from 5000 AGL

Herlong prison from 1100 AGL. Worth going to the original and zooming in to read messages from the prisoners!

tanksatsierraarmydepot2.jpg

Sierra Army Depot tank storage from 2500 AGL

owyheeriver3000agl.jpg

Owyhee River (OR) from about 3000 AGL

0019gn.jpg

Panum Crater near Mono Lake CA from 5000 AGL

cowtracksinsand100agl.jpg

Cow tracks in sand dunes from about 100 AGL and 140 mph.

Am I having fun or what!

greg

Greg two questions regarding your setup.

First - how difficult would it be to install similar setup in already closed wing?
Second - how much may it cost to machine two metal backing plates?

Exceptional work Greg. Maybe I missed it in your document, but how difficult would it be to replace the camera should it fail or you decide to upgrade as technology gets more sophisticated?

Greg,

That looks great! As I was reading your thread, you could always blow a bubble cover, that would allow a longer camera to sit in your wing.

Great stuff, so many questions!

Very cool. I have a few questions if you don't mind. Why did you mount it into the structure of the wing rather than in an external pod of some sort? And for that matter why did you locate it in the wing and not the fuselage? Did you consider using a gimballed mirror with a fixed camera? Does the software you use tag the photos with GPS lat/lon or stitch mosaics? Thanks, Alex

Looks pretty cool!

That would almost make you a secret agent man.
Nice photos too.:cool:

To answer a few questions:

First - how difficult would it be to install similar setup in already closed wing?

It would be a pain but not impossible. You would have to work through the window hole to install everything. However, if properly planned it might not be too difficult to do. If you look at Figure 1, note that the cross-ribs are actually screwed to the angle brackets and thus are removable. The only permanent part of the installation is the brackets riveted to the original wings. So one could build the entire installation outside and with some careful and creative riveting (pulled rivets should work), place the brackets appropriately and then install the remainder of the parts (kind of like building a ship in a bottle...).

Second - how much may it cost to machine two metal backing plates?

I would guess that this might cost you $100 plus the cost of the Al plate. It is a relatively simple machining task and wouldn't take more than a half hour at a good shop. Alternatively, you could just cut several 1/8-inch thick pieces and make a sandwich rather than using a single machined piece. That would save the cost of a machine shop and serve the same purpose.

How difficult would it be to replace the camera should it fail or you decide to upgrade as technology gets more sophisticated?

Very simple. The camera is held in by the Z brackets plus the normal tripod knurled knob on the bottom of the camera (not easily seen in the photos). Any camera of similar size could be substituted into the system by modifying the brackets. One would, of course, have to redo the power wiring and on-off switch wiring. Almost all cameras these days come with the USB connection built in already, so that is simply a plug-in item. Worst case is if the technology gets larger, one could rebuild the entire apparatus since there is more room in the bay (Figure 6). Unlikely technology is going to get larger, but one never knows...

You could always blow a bubble cover, that would allow a longer camera to sit in your wing.

True, and I thought of that but wanted to keep it simple and inexpensive. The window is easily replaced by going to the local plastics shop. A bubble window would allow for more tilt angle, but I can also tilt the entire airplane! The camera I am using already has 6x optical zoom, so a longer lens doesn't seem necessary to me at this point. Note that I have done a minimal amount of testing of the camera with the lens zoomed, so don't know what the vibration issues might be.

Why did you mount it into the structure of the wing rather than in an external pod of some sort?

Less drag, simpler (in my mind anyway), and better looking. Mostly personal preference. Might also be better from a vibration standpoint. I could see the advantages of an external pod with a simple plug-in and a couple bolts on a bracket.

And for that matter why did you locate it in the wing and not the fuselage?

Has to be on the wing. I don't know about your belly, but mine has some oil constantly there (still working on that aspect of things!) which would potentially cause distortion in the window (like raindrops). Hot exhaust gases would also cause optical distortion under the fuselage. One could mount the camera in the front corners of the fuselage, but there's alreacy enough junk there with the fuel line vents, rudder pedals, etc. And my thinking was that there was likely to be more vibration in the fuselage than in the wing.

Did you consider using a gimballed mirror with a fixed camera?

Interesting idea, and no I did not consider this. I suspect again there is potential for vibration issues (moreso than with the camera only), plus the camera would take a mirror image requiring more image processing (not to mention the confusion of looking at the viewfinder backwards!).

Does the software you use tag the photos with GPS lat/lon or stitch mosaics?

The Breeze software does not do any tagging, but it is a simple matter to carry a GPS unit and, provided the GPS and camera clocks are synchronized, you can geotag the photos later at home. If you would like, send me a pm with your email address and I will send you a KMZ file that you can open in google earth and see both our flight path and the linked photos (these are from a handheld in the cockpit, but the idea is the same). I am thinking of buying a new laptop that has an embedded GPS unit (a lot of them do now, kind of like the iPhone) that would make this geotagging almost instantaneous. I don't have the software to stitch images, but have colleagues that can do this. There are some potential issues with image distortion at the edges, probably a bit more so than the normal BLM aerial photos, but the new software can apparently deal with that reasonably effectively. It's really out of my area of expertise, but I am aware that it exists.

Another note. This camera has image stabilization built in, so that probably helps with vibration issues. Most modern cameras that have significant zoom capabilities have this feature.

greg

ICE? is nice

I don't have the software to stitch images, but have colleagues that can do this. There are some potential issues with image distortion at the edges, probably a bit more so than the normal BLM aerial photos, but the new software can apparently deal with that reasonably effectively. It's really out of my area of expertise, but I am aware that it exists.

Another note. This camera has image stabilization built in, so that probably helps with vibration issues. Most modern cameras that have significant zoom capabilities have this feature.

greg

Microsoft ICE is a free and easy to use program that will stitch photos together. It is the fastest and easiest programs that I have ever used. The price made it a sure winner for me.

Camera Stabilization

This installation looks excellent!

A few years ago I put a camera in the outboard wing access panel of my RV8 and made a wireless remote control for the camera. It worked reasonably well, but since I had the cam mounted hard to the craft it was rather difficult to take precise pictures, especially in unsteady air and down low (below 5000ft).

I eventually made a camera stabilization device based on solid state gyros, accelerometers and software to hold the camera steady in pitch and roll then successfully flew it on board of a RC helicopter.

Because I used a rather large camera at the time I was not able to get the cam and gimbal mechanism back into the wing access plate hole and subsequently lost focus on the project.... With the small cameras available now this would not be a problem however.

If there is interest for such a thing on this forum I'd be inclined to pick up where I left off and put together a cam stabilization kit for the RVs.

Gary Stofer , N427GS, RV8,

Gary,

A lot of the digital cameras now have built-in image stabilization. Most of my photos have been taken at 1/1000 second (depth of field is not an issue) and I seem to get pretty clear sharp shots. It would be interesting to see whether your stabilization setup would make a difference. Certainly it would allow for taking photos at lower light settings that require a longer shutter speed. An additional benefit (sounds like from your description) would be that one could set up the camera at a specific angle (say, vertically) and the gyros would take out some/all of the tilt associated with banks and changing angle of attack. I would be interested in knowing what it would take to do this. If you would rather discuss off-list, feel free to email (arehartatunrdotedu) or pm me.

greg

Stab of camera

The stabilization with external means (i.e. Servos) is not for image stabilization due to vibration but for motion stabilization of the platform. It is a means to keep the camera pointing at the same spot even though the aircraft pitches and rolls, within reasonable limits of course.

When I flew my fixed mounted camera I had a heck of a time flying excatly "over" the target. When I needed to make a slight correction to my course I would lift my wing and the cam would point out or in and I would loose the target altogether..... Then I ended up flying unnecessarily high so I would have a bigger field of view, but of course that ate into the final resolution of the picture.

The electronic I made allowed for manual control of the cameras two axis, so that I could tilt and pan the camera with two knobs on the remote control. Then the electronic holds that angle even though the platform rolls and pitches about. I was thinking of adding a feature where the camera automatically pans front to back as you fly directly over an object by tying into the airspeed and knowing AGL , so that you get a series of shots at different angles, but I never got to that point.

Gary

How do you aim?

How do you aim your camera? Do you just have it zoomed so the area is so large you get the target- but lose quality? Is there a remote monitor that is used to see what the camera sees? I'm very interested in mounting a camera and am curious on the common practice when using these in an RV.

Aim -- shoot

The Canon Cameras (A530 for ex) have a video out that is active when shooting. You need a small video monitor in the cockpit to see what the camera sees. Also most of the Canon cams can run a different firmware (search for CHDK and camera). This allows you to make a remote trigger which connects to the USB plug of the camera, eliminating my RC-servo remote control for the trigger.

I have started to make a gimbal mount for the Canon camera, so that the cam can be remotely positioned from the cockpit and then be held steady by gyros ( in the roll axis at least), however I did not get any interest for this from the forum and so I didn't continue past the proof of concept. If people would be interested in this I would consider putting together a kit...

Gary

If people would be interested in this I would consider putting together a kit...

Gary

Gary,
How hard (and expensive) would this be to do? I've always been interested in remote sensing type aerial photography, so I would be iterested in doing it. But I'm still a long way from flying...

Tim,

Aim using the servos if necessary. The image is relayed to my laptop in the passenger seat and the operator just pushes the "take picture" button and captures the image that s/he is looking at on the computer screen. As I write this I am sitting here awaiting the Panasonic guy who is delivering a test laptop that is 1000 nits bright and (hopefully) will make seeing the picture in the cockpit of an RV easier to do. So far, we've had to have the operator mostly under a piece of cardboard or cloth to cut the light and be able to see the laptop screen.

greg

Flash

I see you have the builtin flash. That must be so you take can see detail in the shadows right? Ok I know, I know. only at or below 50 ft AGL.

I use the flash primarily for low-altitude night photography - it's not powerful enough to light anything up unless you are within about 25 feet of the object/ground:D

greg

Gary,

Will the video camera download the photos and store them at high resolution (yes, I could just dump to the camera chip, but then would have to download later etc.). The software I'm using (Breeze systems) allows me to control the camera (exposure etc.) from the laptop (requiring keyboard input). Is that control possible from the video cam?

thanks,
greg

Control of Cam

Greg,

I have been using a Canon Power Shoot type of camera. It's a regular picture camera. I think the first one was an A500, currently I use an A530 or A540.
Then I add this CHDK firmware to the SD card and open up all kinds of professional features of the camera, such as exposure bracketing and Raw picture store. Check out the firmware here. It's not a permanent firmware change, but you can make the SD card so that this firmware always boots when the camera turns on. you can create scripts and execute them, for example for repeated picture taking , say every 10 seconds ..

The Canon cameras provide a video output that shows the viewfinder when in picture taking mode, but with only the remote trigger through the USB port I can not change the Fstop or exposure time manually, but auto mode seems to work fine.

I have been removing the SD card after picture taking to transfer the pictures to the computer, or I could switch the cam into picture display mode and power back up to use the USB port to download while still installed (if I could get to the switch that is)

Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to consider the firmware stuff you suggest. Today we went up in bright sunshine with a Panasonic Toughbook with a 1000-nit screen and it worked brilliantly (pun intended). We were able to see the screen at a variety of sun angles. I really like the Breeze systems setup (particularly now that I can actually see it in flight easily), as I can set a lot of the parameters directly on the laptop, including the zoom and automatic preview. Got a bit more testing to do, but this looks like it will be the way to go for me.

cheers,
greg

Back