What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autolite spark plugs - Rest in Peace

Steve

Well Known Member
As many know, Champion Inc purchased Unison Industries including Slick and Autolite several months ago. Champion discontinued production of Autolite spark plugs and then raised the price of their own Champion plugs causing the retail price to increase from about $17.00 to about $24.00 each.

Bottom line: The cost of replacing 8 plugs increased $60.

Action: Call your favorite supplier to purchase any existing stock of Autolite plugs they may still have. As of yesterday, AERO still had about 1100 UREM40E's on the shelf and they were selling ( for $15!!!) like sno-cones in Hades.

Pass it on,

Auto plugs with mags?

Just wondering if anyone has used an auto plug with slick mags.

Thanks,
Chris

I think Champion (The TransDigm Group) purchased only the Slick product line and Unison remains an independent company which still retains the Autolite Spark plug line.

http://www.transdigm.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=196053&p=irol-newsArticle_print&ID=1202779&highlight
http://www.unisonindustries.com/ourproducts/pistonignition.html

The shortage of Autolite plugs I heard was due to the facility where the plugs were manufactured was the same as the Slick facility. With the facility sold off with Slick, Autolite plug manufacturing is pending a new manufacturing facility for Unison plugs.

I think Champion (The TransDigm Group) purchased only the Slick product line and Unison remains an independent company which still retains the Autolite Spark plug line.

As I remember, this is correct. Champion didn't purchase their spark plug line.

I guess I got bad data from some sources. However, even if Unison still owns the Autolite product line, the fact remains that new manufacture Autolite plugs are no longer available. New Champions can be bought everywhere for ~$24. Remaining NOS Autolites can still be had for ~$15 from some vendors, such as AERO, the ECI dealers. I struck out at Aircraft Spruce and my local FBOs and suppliers.

Just passing cost saving info to the group,

Back