What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

430 Vs 430W Decision

Bugsy

Well Known Member
I have a tough decision to make and need some advice.

Get a Garmin reconditioned 430 for $4000 or a new 430W for $8000.

I live in Albuquerque and wont fly IFR except for the occasional Xcountry. Plus I'm still 1.5 yr from flying.

So do I get the 430 now. Upgrade for 3K in 3-4 years when the Air Force moves me to someplace IMC. Or get the 430W now to make wiring the AFS easier and avoid a possible inability to upgrade to WAAS in 3-4 years if Garmin stops the upgrade?

As a CFII and active instrument pilot, I would highly recommend the 430W. Flying WAAS approaches is so much easier than any other approach. The 430 basically babies you through the approach and it ends up being much smoother than a traditional ILS. If you haven't had much time behind a 430/430W you may want to get some training. I think you will be able to make your decision with confidence when you see the difference.

If you're 1.5 years from flying I'd say don't buy either of them now. Aside from that, unless you're in Europe or AU/NZ, the non waas units just aren't a terrific investment at the price levels you're seeing them at.

Anyway, I'd take my hint and wait...no need to buy it just to do the wiring. If you've decided on a 430 you can get the tray/backplate/wiring ahead of time (we do that for a whole lot of people) and put of buying the box itself until later. That way you won't have an outdated database, warranty burning off on the shelf, etc..

There is nothing wrong with the Non Waas boxes, but if you're going to have an AFS (sounds like you might) and going to possibly file once and awhile, I'd urge you get the "W".

My 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

I'm with Stein. Don't buy any avionics until you have to, they change too fast. If you are going to shoot approaches then the Waas is the only way to go. Just look at the instrument approach plates, the number of Waas approaches is increasing almost geometrically. It won't be long before they phase out ILS. ILS equipment is expensive to maintain.

I'm also with Stein. I have the 3500 right now and the TT VSGV with the W.
Once you have Altitude hold on and you are at the IAF altitude, all you have to do is play with power, trim and flaps. Relax and monitor things. :)
The only problem is that TT still doesn't have an auto land feature :D

AFS, 430W and the TT vsgv is a great combination.

warranty

We went through the same decision as you are making. The 430w in our rv 7 had to go back for service twice in the first year. When we looked at the warranty (2 year for new) as well as our experience with having 2 warranty issues the first year we decided to go with a new 430w (vs reconditioned 430) in our rv 10.

Awesome advice

Thanks guys, great advice.

Yes I will have the AFS 3500, AFS AP and a 430.

430W it is.

It's great to have a distinguished group of folks to bounce this off of.

Besides LPV approaches?

LPV approaches are great. Though it seems a day doesn't go by where my home airport doesn't have a navigation NOTAM "WAAS LNAV / VNAV and LPV minimum unreliable", while the ILS is fine. So my question is, what other advantages does the 430W have over the 430?

Terrain? Weather? Traffic? Flying holds and procedure turns?

I'm sure there's a list of all the features that come with the upgrade out there, but I couldn't find it...

--Paul

Thanks, Ron, that's it.

Looking at it, it seems the main improvements with the 430W are faster display updating, and guidance (I guess both CDI and autopilot?) for holds and procedure turns. Besides the vertical nav stuff that WAAS gives you, I mean.

It's not clear to me if the 430 also shows the holds and procedure turns, but just won't fly them for you?

If so, and I already have a 5Hz display with weather and terrain on my 496... and ILS and nonprecision GPS approaches are all I need... then the 430W doesn't add much.

Not that I'd mind having one! Just thinking about justifying the cost.

--Paul

Paul, a 430W may not be worth the cost for you. I think you can add traffic info to the 496. Can't remember the system though.

A 430W will give you ILS-like approaches to airports without an ILS if that is of any value.

Paul, a 430W may not be worth the cost for you. I think you can add traffic info to the 496. Can't remember the system though.
...QUOTE]
Can you buy the 430 for that low price and have it upgraded to a "W" and still save money?

Yes, the 496 can display traffic but you need the G330 transponder or some other device to "read" the traffic.
The 496, with its internal battery, is a great nav back up AND it has weather.

the 430

Non WAAS does show the full procedure (holds.PT's, etc...). That comes from the Jepp subscription. But it won't fly them. The W is the only one that will enter the hold or fly the missed on its own. That alone is a pretty powerful reason to buy the W - but at twice the price its a decision point to consider. Good luck - both are good boxes. But I would wait and if you get a great deal then maybe the W is an easier decsion.

It's not clear to me if the 430 also shows the holds and procedure turns, but just won't fly them for you?

--Paul

The W is the only one that will enter the hold or fly the missed on its own. That alone is a pretty powerful reason to buy the W
OK. With the number of NTSB reports involving blown misseds, that does get my attention.
But I would wait and if you get a great deal then maybe the W is an easier decsion.
Waiting for prices on the 430W to come down doesn't seem to be working so far! Technology aside, Garmin made a great business move for themselves buying UPSAT and killing the 480.

--Paul

A ton of people thought that the 430's would come down in value but that has not happened. Who knows how long they will stay around $5K?

When you add back the cost of the upgrade to a W unit, those are almost if not higher than a new 430W. :confused:

my thoughts

i have been flying light ifr with basic 6 pack, 430, 496, and TT coupled to ils and v nav and could not be happier. i didnt upgrade at $2,000 or so because i dont fly low ifr, didnt want to spend the $. very happy where i am. more gas $,

Back