What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Live Video Planned for Last Race of 2009

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
The entry list for the Rocket 100 located at www.sportairrace.org under links starting at "Calendar of Events" is 33 even though the link just went active 10/22/09. The race is scheduled for November 21 with 22 as a rain date. The course is described there also and turn images will be added shortly according to Mike Thompson. The start finish line will be at F1 Rocket boss Mark Frederick's private grass strip (it is not necessary to land there) and live video is planned. The first attempt at live video was at the Tennessee Valley Air Race II in Courtland, Alabama on October 17. I'm told a lot was learned at Courtland and this effort will benefit from that knowledge. As usual I will be looking forward to it.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Video clip of the speed dash pattern at TVARII

I shot this clip of the speed dash pattern on Sunday ( perfect weather wouldn't you know). These passes were not at race speed but you can see what we were doing. I have some more video of the speed dash itself including Cam's upwind pass. Watching the Hammer brothers passes was worth the whole trip. I have video of that too and will post it when I figure out how.

ChrisM RACE34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aevi-LbBfA

Yes

They did this for the first time at Courtland, Alabama on the 17th of October. It seemed to work out very well for the first ever attempt by SARL. This time at the private strip used for the start/finish the action will be right in front of the camera at the beginning and end of the race. Coverage is planned for the season ending award ceremony as well. Bring your RV-6A.

Bob Axsom

Cam... Looks like I'll be there for the RV4 to spank. Heck of a course for the new guy coming in that's for sure. :eek:

Good on ya!

Cam... Looks like I'll be there for the RV4 to spank. Heck of a course for the new guy coming in that's for sure. :eek:

Hey Darrell:

Congrats -- best you go practice a bit -- like I have been TOLD to do :eek:. Now see if you can get Mr Decker to sign up too...

Carry on!
Mark

Classification

What classification would an rv4 with 0-360 be in? Couldn't find it in the web site.

Classes

What classification would an rv4 with 0-360 be in? Couldn't find it in the web site.

The classes are listed at www.sportairrace.org, click on "The Mission" then click on "Experimental Classes" for the RV and other experimental classes, Click of "Factory Classes" for Cessnas, Pipers, Bonanzas, etc. Reiley is right of course any RV with a 360 cu. in. engine is RV Blue and 320s are RV Red .

Bob Axsom

That will be fun, Darrell. Glad to have you in the air! But don't concede defeat... you have a whole lot more horsepower hidden in that engine of yours. You're outta my class if not officially... and me and my tired old hooptie can just barely make it around the course.

Last edited:
Look under "The Mission"

At www.sportairrace.org click on "The Mission" then scroll down the linked page to the end and click on "Experimental Classes" around 17 classes down the list you will find:

RV Blue

Open to Van's aircraft RV-3, RV-4, RV-6, RV-6A, RV-7, RV-7A, RV-8, RV-8A, RV-9, and RV-9A airplanes powered with an engine of 360 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated.

Bob Axsom

Live Video Status per Mike Thompson

Well, it's Friday and it's raining cats and dogs and armadillos here in Central
Texas.

The Canadian contengent made it in yesterday, as did Bob Mills (Race 43!) from
Reno, NV.

There have been a couple of more drops due to weather. We're at 28 and holding.

The weather forecast is also holding to clear tonight and have abundant sunshine
tomorrow and Sunday. All you have to do is get here!

Live video streaming will happen for at least the brief and awards ceremony.
Still working technical details to stream from the start and finish line. The
brief is 1500 Central time tomorrow and we'll probably be live before that.
Check in to Justin.TV/sportairrace starting at 1300 or so (Central time). If we
cannot stream the start and finish, we'll tape it and put some kind of edited
version up on YouTube.

It's going to be a good time!

See ya!

- Mike

Latest Entry List and arrivals

The latest entry list from www.sportairrace.org - I added an asterisk (*) in front of the names of racers I know are on site for the race tomorrow.

Bob Axsom

The following racers have registered for the
Rocket 100 Air Race as of 20 November, 2009:

Race # Name Aircraft Class

*Race DG1 Dick Gossen Glasair III Sport

*Race 14 Wayne Hadath F1 Rocket "Little Bit" Sport FX
Race 22 Greg Nelson F1 Rocket "X-Ray" Sport FX
*Race 43 Bob Mills RV-Super 6 "Rocket Six" Sport FX
*Race 58 Mark Frederick EVO Rocket "Pesky!" Sport FX
*Race 109 Tom Martin EVO Rocket "Evo One" Sport FX
Race 888 Deene Ogden RV-8 Sport FX

*Race 73 Steve Hammer Glasair I TD "White Fang" FX Blue
*Race 91 Bruce Hammer Glasair I TD "Red Dog" FX Blue

Race 36 Larry Henney Lancair 360 "Wildfire" RG Blue
Race 532 Ned Thomas Lancair Legacy RG Blue

Race 18 John Huft RV-8 "Nuisance" RV Blue
*Race 26 Mike Thompson RV-6 "El Lento" RV Blue
*Race 57 Gary Wilcox RV-7 RV Blue
Race 483 Jim Hard RV-7A "Pegleg's Paintless Predator" RV Blue

Race 1WT Ivan Haecker RV-4 RV Red
*Race 007 Darrell Reiley RV-7A "Rowdy One" RV Red
Race 41 Cam Benton RV-4 RV Red

Race 50X Mark Steitle Lancair ES Sprint
*Race 83 David Adams Long EZ "Lawn Dart" Sprint

Race A36 Scott Slocum Bonanza A36 FAC1RG
Race 193 Bobby Bennett Bonanza S35 FAC1RG
Race 729 Chester Jurskis Bonanza S35 "Trixie" FAC1RG

Race 448 Jim Porter Cirrus SR-20 "Plane Jane" FAC3FX
Race 456 AnnElise Bennett Cessna 182 "X-Ray" FAC3FX

Race 7 Dennis Hackler Piper Arrow FAC4RG

*Race 112 Stu Morse Grumman AA5B "Tiger Lily" FAC4FX

Race G51 Gene Plazak Grumman AA1A "Grumman Rocket" FAC5

Last edited:
Video is live now at Taylor, TX

I just went to http://www.justin.tv/sportairrace and found that Steve Hammer is taking off. Not sure of the overall status.

Bob Mills and Wayne Hadath (man that wing is short) just taxied back t the ramp so I guess they were just checking ceiling and visibility while killing time.

Bob Axsom 13:38 CST

Last edited:
Saw Stu Morse's Grumman Tiger in the video

Saw Stu Morse's Grumman Tiger in the video - updated previous list by adding a (*) in front of Race# 112.

Bob Axsom

Just saw Bruce Hammer

Just saw Bruce Hammer helping push his brother Steve's plane away from the fuel pump saw the Hammer Racing Team is fully represented. adding another (*) to the list above.

Bob Axsom

Big Bore Glasair Observed

Big Bore Glasair Observed with registration ending in DG. I'm going to assume that is Dick Gossen for now and update the list to show him in.

Bob Axsom

I've got it up on 1 of the 5 monitors at work. Even though I'm not watching it every minute, it makes a pretty good background noise to kill the day. Wish the race was going.

I see what appear to be twin VS

All I can see in the video are the tips of what appears to be twin vertical stabilizers but I'm calling it David Adams' Long EZ - super guy from St. Louis.

Bob Axsom

I'm not getting any sound

I've got it up on 1 of the 5 monitors at work. Even though I'm not watching it every minute, it makes a pretty good background noise to kill the day. Wish the race was going.

I wish I were getting sound but so far only video. They moved in to Mike's hangar so they must be in the briefing. They need to start fairly soon I think because of sunset is not too far off.

Bob Axsom

Note: The guy in the red coat is the founder of SARL Mike Thompson - he is briefing the pilots with the course on the chart behind him.

Last edited:
I see that he has simplified the course

From where he is pointing on the chart he is near the end of the briefing. Some Q&A them they should be going to the planes and starting engines. They will takeoff fastest plane first to minimize passing on the course.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Duhh

Since I went to the justintv window without the pop out I found the option to turn the sound on. All is good.

Bob Axsom

The engines are starting

The engines are starting but the video I see is frozen in Mike's hangar. I'm going to Bob Mills track site (see Rocket 100 Excitement post) and try to track the progress of the race. They may be moving the camera to Mark Frederick's strip which is the location of the start /finish line.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Race 109 and Race 43 are tracking right now

Race 109 and Race 43 are tracking right now at the site given in Bob Mills post Rocket 100 Excitement. The tracks look good all the way. Tom is approaching the finish.

Bob Axsom

Tom is on the ramp and Bob is streaking to the finish

Tom is on the ramp and Bob is streaking to the finish. Good tracks. I would just be coming up to the turn at Cameron.

Bob Axsom

I guess the video link from the start/finish line didn't work

I guess the video link from the start/finish line didn't work. Mike said somewhere that they were going to cover the awards presentation.

Bob Axsom

Back