- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:53 PM

Default MOA/Restricted Area Communications

OK, bonehead questions here:

(1)If one is on VFR flight following and the flight path will take you over an MOA, what type of interaction should be expected with the controller as the MOA is approached?

(2) Same question as above for a restricted area

thanks

erich
Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 PM

Default Not much

Unless the controller needs to route you around or make you aware of traffic, not much. I had flight following from MSP crossing the MOA's near OSH this summer. Not a word from the controllers, but the MOA's were inactive.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

I usually ask the question "is the area hot", you never know if the controller is busy with something else, and might miss your entry into the area.

If he/she gives the OK, well, then it is on tape.
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 10-06-2009, 01:17 PM

Default Maintain VFR

This is the standard response by the controller when you request flight following and it means you are responsible for your own separation, they will advise you as they can depending on their workload. They are not providing you a clearance so you are not cleared into a restricted area unless you ask specifically and receive a clearance. The best thing you can do is talk to the controller about the MOA, if he can't tell you if it is active then he will be able to tell you who can. However, just because the MOA is active doesn't mean you can't be there - use your own judgement, I often travel through them but always contact the controlling authority and find out if it is active and if I enter I stay out of their way and still ask for flight following. Often the controller will let you know where the aircraft are at and be able to give you some guidance. (i.e. A-10's operating between 10 and 12 and will be staying South of ...) I rarely if ever ask for clearance through a restricted area. Some are not operational all the time though, so you can get clearances through them on a case by case basis.

Stewart
Old 10-06-2009, 01:30 PM

Location: I live in on the Rosamond Skypark (CA) and am married to Victoria (Tuppergal).
Default MOA / Restricted Airspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7pilot View Post
This is the standard response by the controller when you request flight following and it means you are responsible for your own separation, they will advise you as they can depending on their workload. They are not providing you a clearance so you are not cleared into a restricted area unless you ask specifically and receive a clearance. The best thing you can do is talk to the controller about the MOA, if he can't tell you if it is active then he will be able to tell you who can. However, just because the MOA is active doesn't mean you can't be there - use your own judgement, I often travel through them but always contact the controlling authority and find out if it is active and if I enter I stay out of their way and still ask for flight following. Often the controller will let you know where the aircraft are at and be able to give you some guidance. (i.e. A-10's operating between 10 and 12 and will be staying South of ...) I rarely if ever ask for clearance through a restricted area. Some are not operational all the time though, so you can get clearances through them on a case by case basis.

Stewart
Stewart's reply is spot-on, and I would like to add that I always ask for clearance through restricted areas (especially since I'm surrounded by MOAs and Restricted airspace here near Edwards AFB-SoCAL). No harm in asking

On long cross country trips, I'll ask the current controller long before I get to a MOA / Restricted Airspace if the airspace is 'hot' so I can deviate sooner rather than later. If the controller is busy, I'll jump is with a quick "Is 2515 'hot'?" which always gets a quick reply.

Lastly, be sure to check the MOA altitude block as you will find the floor of the MOA may be above your current altitude Rosie
Paul A. "Rosie" Rosales (VAF #5)
Rosamond Skypark (L00), CA
RV-6A, 3868 hours since 7/4/2000
Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 PM

Since my home airport is within a MOA, I don't pay very much attention to them anymore. I still look for traffic, just as always, and the occasional sight of a flight of F-16's has the same element of caution as a flock of birds, or students in 172's... I don't want to hit any of them. So short answer: no clearance required for a MOA, hot or cold. But it is a fine idea to ask someone what is to be expected, just for peace of mind.

Restricted areas are another matter altogether. If on flight following, they will need to give you specific clearance to enter, if at all, and that clearance is often accompanied with a minimum altitude restriction. That said, I have been advised to remain clear, cleared above 6,000, or cleared straight through the Edwards AFB complex... It all depends on what is going on that day.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 10-06-2009, 01:37 PM

Default I live smack dab in the middle of one...

....and Atlanta won't give flight following if the MOA is hot. All of my spray work is in this one and I just go about my business every day and keep my eyes open, with their floor at 500'.
Regards,
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:38 PM

Ask the appropriate Center controller unless there is a controlling agency listed for the MOA and/or Rstricted area. These will be published in the margin of the sectional.

As others have said, it's optional for MOAs, but required for Restricted areas.

TODR
Old 10-07-2009, 09:59 AM

Default See And Avoid

I've also found this site useful to see the various sections of airspace and their current status.

http://www.seeandavoid.org/

Colm
Old 10-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Default Seriously?

I have 2 MOAs smack in the middle of my Phase I test area. Because of some weird radio issues that I'm troubleshooting, I've not been successful in determining whether the areas are hot or not. So, I usually just turn around and head back.

You mean that I can fly through a hot MOA without talking to anyone if I want to? I can fly right through it legally?

RV-8 "Smokey"
"Too close for missles, switching to guns..."
Closed Thread