Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 11:18 PM

Default Conversion 0-360 to IO-390 What has to be done.

I need an inverted oil and fuel system. Does anyone have a good reference to a pressure carburater that works well or do I need Fuel Injection. I actually have been dreaming about having another 30 horses under the cowl, and maybe even switching out the entire engine to an I0-390. Now the questions for anyone who really knows begins. I know forsure that I have to change the configuration of my bottom cowl for fuel injection, however would the top cowl be usable or is the size actually different on the 390. I am currently running a two blade BF Hartzel Prop from Vans that is good for the 200 hp IO-360. Is this prop accepteble on a 390 or does this need to be changed as well. Engine Mount is it the same as the O-360? What all else would have to be changed besides baffles and all the little insignif's? Any help apprecieted.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:48 PM

No real usable pressure carbs available for Lyc's, so FI is the only option.

390's have basically the same case as 360's so no change except cyl's are about 1/4" wider on each side, so baffles, exhaust, and plenum change. Governor is also on front of case. Motor mount is same.

As far as the prop, check the Hartzell prop info spreadsheet on VAF. If my memory holds, the later BA prop blade (7497) is recommended for the 390. I have the 7496 blade set on my 390 and thus have a yellow band from 2000 to 2300 rpm.

I really like my 390...
EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
CFII, MEI, CFIG
Old 09-20-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvssgl View Post
I need an inverted oil and fuel system. Does anyone have a good reference to a pressure carburater that works well or do I need Fuel Injection. I actually have been dreaming about having another 30 horses under the cowl, and maybe even switching out the entire engine to an I0-390. Now the questions for anyone who really knows begins. I know forsure that I have to change the configuration of my bottom cowl for fuel injection, however would the top cowl be usable or is the size actually different on the 390. I am currently running a two blade BF Hartzel Prop from Vans that is good for the 200 hp IO-360. Is this prop accepteble on a 390 or does this need to be changed as well. Engine Mount is it the same as the O-360? What all else would have to be changed besides baffles and all the little insignif's? Any help apprecieted.
All pressure carbs are old, so FI is really the only way ahead

Although an IO-390 uses a similar case to an O-360 (so same engine mount), that's about where the similarities stop! Completely different cylinders (angle valve against parallel valve), and I think more stroke on the crank. Top cowl will be the same, and you may be able to chop the bottom cowl to fit (or buy new), but baffling will have to be mostly replaced. May also need a different oil cooler. Don't know about props - you may have to ask Hartzell.

If you work on an completely new engine install then anything you can re-use will be a bonus!

Pete
Old 09-20-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvssgl View Post
Does anyone have a good reference to a pressure carburater that works well or do I need Fuel Injection.
Some folks seem to have success with the Ellison throttle body type setup:
http://www.ellison-fluid-systems.com/
http://www.rotecradialengines.com/TBI/TBI.htm

A search will turn up some threads here on VAF about these.

--Paul
Old 09-21-2009, 12:09 PM

Recommend you talk with Rhonda at BPA http://www.bpaengines.com/

Some info here might be helpful too: www.io-390.com
RV-7 Flying 800+ hours, IO-390
Albuquerque, NM
EAA Director
Old 09-21-2009, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the responses. I may give Rhonda a call as well at Barrett, however after some more research I am leaning towards the IO-375 because of price and from what I understand after talking to Bart at Aero Sport Power the IO-375 is the same in size and shape and the only modifications I will have to do is for the throttle and mixture cables. To me it almost sounds to simple. Are there any flyers that can leave some comments as to how the 375 is performing and what there thoughts are on this engine. Thanks again.