VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-17-2009, 04:38 AM

Wink RV-4 "style" LSA petition please sign.

We the people of EAA and AOPA, in order to perform a more perfect union of aerodynamics and shoulder room, domestic tranquility, provide for the common LSA pilot, and secure the Blessings of the FAA to ourselves and our posterior, do humbly request you ordain and establish an RV-4 LSA for the unaltered states of flying nirvana.

Click this link if you would like to see an RV-4 "style" LSA:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rv-4-style-lsa/

Last edited by SwoonCraft : 02-10-2010 at 04:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:48 AM

Default Couldn't happen

The RV-4 is way too fast to ever be flown under sport pilot rules.
120kts max..... Maybe an old C-65 engine would work?
Dynon Avionics dealer/installer
VAF # 912, RV-9A

VAF Paid Advertiser
2014 Donation paid
Old 09-17-2009, 11:24 AM

Have you seen the Lightning? Supposedly this is a redesigned airplane but it's bones look an awful lot like the Lancair 320. Just stick a serious climb FP prop on the nose
Old 09-18-2009, 04:47 AM

Default You've thought it. Admit it.

My original post was meant to be a fun way to continue the discussions of an RV-4 “style” LSA. We the customer need to make sure that the demand is documented. If anyone has a better way to convince those in power that there is a demand for a RV-4 “style” LSA; I'm all ears.

How many people have thought to themselves wouldn't it be great if Van came out with a new wing for the RV-4 that would make it sport pilot legal or maybe the new Lycoming IO-233-LSA would work? You've thought it. Admit it.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:51 AM

Default continuous power limitation?

I don't really keep up with LSA rules. But would it be possible to write in some continuous power limitations like Cub Crafters has done with the Super Sport Cub to keep cruise speed down? There is probably more to it than that...
Old 09-18-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoDave View Post
I don't really keep up with LSA rules. But would it be possible to write in some continuous power limitations like Cub Crafters has done with the Super Sport Cub to keep cruise speed down? There is probably more to it than that...
CubCrafters had their engine manufacturer make up that continuous power limitation. As builder of your own engine, you could do the same, but if something happened and you ended up in court for some reason, I think you might have a difficult time with defense.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Old 09-18-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramendala View Post
Have you seen the Lightning? Supposedly this is a redesigned airplane but it's bones look an awful lot like the Lancair 320. Just stick a serious climb FP prop on the nose
This seems to be one of the most misunderstood LSA perfomance requirements. The requirement is that the airplane meets the 120 kt max. speed requirement at max continous power, not max continous RPM. Because of this you must meet the speed requirement when operating at max contious RPM and a manifold pressure that at the RPM you are using, provides max rated continous power.
Putting a flatter prop on that requires a throttle reduction to stay within the engines RPM limit and the resultant limit in speed, does not meet the ASTM requirement for LSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoDave View Post
This is probably the only possible way to do it, but as Mel already metioned, I think anyone doing so is walking a very fine line. If an identical engine is also rated at a higher power output in another aircraft I would think the FAA will likely have some raised eyebrows eventually.
Over the years there have been different type certificated airplane models that have used different models of an engine with it rated (or derated) at different power outputs so maybe they are ok with it.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoonCraft View Post
My original post was meant to be a fun way to continue the discussions of an RV-4 “style” LSA.
A tandem seat, taildragger variant of the RV-12 with a side-tip canopy would be kinda neat. I bet it would sell pretty well.
"Coffee and chocolate are two essential nutrients necessary for proper brain function"
Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 PM

Thumbs up I'd buy it!

I have posted the same idea at least a couple times in the past. There is not a single LSA out there that gets my attention like an RV-4 style LSA would. I think that the O-233 would be a good fit and possibly help with W/B issues for the GIB.

Ironically this idea has been bouncing around my head more lately... and I had planned on posting something similar - but more based on a question of feasibility. For the engineers and armchair aircraft designers...

What are the possibilities or hindrances in this idea? Can a tandem, aerobatic, LSA specification aircraft be built in aluminum (meaning Van's of course) that would not weigh much more than the RV-12 - and thus allowing for 3 hours fuel (incl. reserves) and carry a couple 200 lb. passengers and 50 lbs. baggage. What say ye... can it be done?

dj
Old 09-19-2009, 01:26 AM

DJ, you nailed it when you said “There is not a single LSA out there that gets my attention like an RV-4 style LSA would.”

Last edited by SwoonCraft : 09-21-2009 at 03:00 PM.