What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glacier Park MT

smokyray

Well Known Member
All,
Just got home from the great Northwest after delivering my friend "VB" his new RV-10 to ID. He was kind enough to loan us his RV7a that I originally helped him purchase 3 years ago to travel to Glacier National Park in MT, what a trip!

The flight up from KTWF crosses the eastern side of the Idaho Back country over three of my favorite USFS strips then proceeds north across the Western Montana mountains to Glacier. My good friend "Chuck" Norris and I originally scoped this area out way back in the early 1990's as a two ship, his Cessna 180 and my 65 hp T-Craft! While chugging along in the T-craft wondering whether I could clear the next ridge I spotted a waterfall behind a gorgeous rock wall with a valley and two huge lakes behind it (unofficially named Canyon-X). It is nearly inaccessible located in a bowl between ridges above 8000' but someday I will figure out a way to hike in and slay some Trout! The RV7a 180 C/S performed very well and cruised at Bandit (not Rocket) speeds. I made one exploratory run up "Canyon-X" to scope it out. Teena filmed a video and I will attach it to another email. What a hoot!

After 2000 miles from FL to ID in the RV10 and now the 7A MT trip, the side by side seating has been requested...:)

Anyway, I digress. We arrived at Kalispell city airport (S27), parked the 7a for free at Red Eagle Aviation and rented a car for the drive up to the park. Red Eagle is a very friendly down home FBO (with free popcorn!) at a small uncontrolled airport in a great little town, Kalispell. We drove the 45 minutes to the park entrance and spent 2 days touring the unbelievable scenery through the mountains on "going to the sun" road. We stayed at one of the original lodges built back in 1910 which was almost worth the trip by itself. If you haven't been, I highly recommend it, the closest thing to AK I have seen in the lower 48.

The flight home was uneventful, with the exception of many aileron rolls over U72! After 10 days in the cool and dry Rockies, the Swamp weather is slowly growing on me, looking forward to Fall!

See ya!
Smokey
HR2

http://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm
http://www.airnav.com/airport/S27

RV-7 EH?

Serious Scenery!

Give me a home...

Just keeps getting better!

Hurry Sundown!

Last edited:
We also visited Glacier NP last week and did the Going-to-the-Sun road and Logan Pass hike. My family and I flew into Whitefish, which has a nice sod strip on the edge of town. Whitefish is a bit closer to Glacier than is Kalispell, is a smaller town, and the Hertz car rental is right around the corner from the airport, with a sign and phone number at the airport. There are bicycles stored at the Whitefish airport, but with the kids we hoofed it into town, less than 1 mile to downtown. Stayed in an older motel (the "Downtowner Inn") in the restaurant district. Downtown Whitefish is very fun. Good restaurants, scenic, and good beer. My favorite memory of the two week western vacation is my 16-month old son head bopping and rocking out to a live band playing "Folsom Prison Blues". Our kids like dogs, and I've never seen a town with so many dogs. There are trails running along the river, which make for good hiking. Whitefish lake is nice, we really liked the town and will be back.

Thanks for the trip writeup. :)

It's now an idea placed in my brain file.... to expand our flying to the farther north. As of now, we've traveled from the KTWF area (actually fuel up in Gooding ID -- best fuel prices) to the out skirts of Sun Valley airspace, and on towards Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I'd like to add some more of Idaho's scenic & rugged Sawtooth mountains to my visual RV experience!

L.Adamson --- RV6A

P.S. --- my wife prefers side by side also.....after many years on the back of a motorcycle. And I don't blame her. However, I still think that Rockets and F1's rule for the total experience as well as looks. Kind of "stole" the paint scheme of an F1, myself...

My wife and I stayed a Lake McDonald Lodge and drove "Going to the Sun" and went on up into Canada and Jasper National Park 3 years ago. One of the most impressive trips I have ever taken. We got snowed in on the Glacier Highway on July the 11th for a few hours as the road crews cleared it.

Pierre,

Maybe if enough of us begged, F1Boss might design an F-7 for us.....

Never can tell what might happen....

Glenn Wilkinson

Speed is Life?

Pierre,

I think I need two airplanes but my secret offer still stands for you and you alone :)

Pictures posted!
Smokey
HR2

PS: Andy, good call on Whitefish, next trip! I will try to post the video of my flight down "canyon-x"! BTW, the 10 jumped right out of the swamp, even from my gooey 1600' usable runway in 90 degree heat.

Last edited:
Back