What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

navaid problem

rickjfly

I'm New Here
I purchased an RV-7A with a Navaid autopilot installed. From day one it will not track either a heading or a GPS course. The wing leveler function works fine. I have no manuals for this unit. Any ideas?
Thanks

Suggestion

The manual is still available online from the porcine website.

To track a gps the navaid must be equipped with a porcine gps smart coupler.
There are a couple of different models. Some are built into the control head and some are separate.

Does the autopilot have a little toggle panel? It would be separate from the control head. There might also be an old style one (three buttons).

In any case, a navaid will track a vor or if it has the porcine coupler, it will track a gps signal. The gps must be set to output NMEA and the proper connection must be made from the gps to the control head.

In addition, the coupler must have it's mode set as well. On mine, holding the toggle to the left for a few seconds flashes the mode led a few times, then it turns solid green, meaning it has a gps lock. It will not turn green until the gps has a position lock and the data is being sent from the gps to the coupler.

You can get a scanned copy of the manual from ftp://ftp.porcine.com/SmartCoupler/NavaidOCR.pdf

Hope this helps.

I purchased an RV-7A with a Navaid autopilot installed. From day one it will not track either a heading or a GPS course. The wing leveler function works fine. I have no manuals for this unit. Any ideas?
Thanks

Like already said, not much info on your configuration. I have it linked to a panel mount Garmin 250 (no smart coupler required) and mine tracks fairly well, with constant adjustments during fuel burn.
You can get a plug n play replacement from Trio or Trutrak, the Trio has more features for the bucks (around $1,000).
You won't have any problems tracking a route with either one of those units.

Thanks

Links to the manual have been posted. I suspect there is a wiring issue at the Navaid connector. Depending on what you are using to send data to the device, you may need either a couple of jumpers at the connector to get a signal to the Navaid or a switch to select either CDI or NMEA data. Study the Navaid wiring diagram carefully and confirm all necessary connections are present.

You can get a plug n play replacement from Trio or Trutrak, the Trio has more features for the bucks (around $1,000).
You won't have any problems tracking a route with either one of those units.

I think TruTrak has discontinued the Navaid-compatible version of their Digi-Trak.

Back