What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nehalem Bay, OR - August 2009

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Recently we had a visit from our friends The Olson's from Wisconsin. They flew out to Salt Lake City Friday afternoon after dodging some weather through South Dakota. To my delight I was able to get both our RV-10's in my hanger that night.

We woke up on Saturday to the sound of thunder, rain and wind here in Salt Lake. A cold front was moving through the State with great weather expected to follow it. I was glad we put the plane in the hanger as a little hail started to fall at the house. As we sat around eating breakfast discussing what we should do, we discussed the option of going airplane camping. RaNae and I love to do that and will almost never turn that down. I really wanted to take them up to Idaho but the lows were expected to be in the 30's that night due to the cold front. I remembered a recommendation recently about a great camping spot on the Oregon coast. We checked it out for a couple of minutes and decided to go for it. This was a spot that Mike Seager took me when I was doing my transition training in the RV-10.

We departed early afternoon and we were on our way. We both cruised up to 10,500 and put our -10's LOP (Lean Of Peak) burning 9.4 gph at 158 knots TAS. We had headwinds and made it to 7S3 (Starks Twin Oaks) for fuel in about 3 1/2 hours. They had some of the cheapest fuel in the area at $3.85/gallon. It was a very cool airport. Another RV-10 flyer, Ed Hayden, met us there at the airport in his plane. He has a beautiful RV-10 and it was fun to see him.

Mt. Hood
623377038_wGcz2-XL.jpg

Approaching Twin Oaks
623377166_T6emB-XL.jpg

623377582_SEEnE-XL.jpg

After filling up we headed for the coast. We flew over Tillamook then up the coast to Nehalem Bay. We cruised the coast for a few minutes and decided we had better land and get our camp set up.

Here is a shot of Tillamook airport. There use to be two hangers and was a Naval Air Station where they housed blimps for patrolling. One of the hangers was destroyed in a fire in 1992. Because of rationing the hangers were built completely from wood and may be the largest wooden structure in the world. The hanger is now home to the Tillamook Air Museum.
623378954_cMR76-XL.jpg

623381037_KxeB4-XL.jpg

623385024_ee6Dg-XL.jpg

623385443_ufAKJ-XL.jpg

623385609_hREi6-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Nehalem Bay State Park
623391994_b736n-XL.jpg

623392055_kDzmJ-XL.jpg

The Olson's on final approach
623385670_Ghg92-XL.jpg

623386214_PztA7-XL.jpg

We taxied over to the camping area where spots #1 and #2 were open and waiting for us. The state park charges $8 per night. We walked over the the main office where we paid our fee and purchased two bundles of firewood for $5 each which were delivered to our campsites while we walked to the beach to enjoy the sunset. I don't think we had any idea we would be walking in the Pacific Ocean when we woke up.

623386715_nfD4x-XL.jpg

623387832_b9buy-XL.jpg

RaNae and I
623387524_h7khi-XL.jpg

The Olson's
623387050_ctBfB-XL.jpg

623388102_umiw5-XL.jpg

623388000_FAM9o-XL.jpg

Last edited:
The next morning we walked to the end of the Runway 33 onto the beach where the water was in low tide. There was a great tree to balance on and a fort someone had built. It was a great day on the coast.
623388548_cGH7d-XL.jpg

623388654_KzF66-XL.jpg

623388820_7kesS-XL.jpg

623389649_oFfdS-XL.jpg

623390247_NkQ2C-XL.jpg

623390383_KF66H-XL.jpg

623390267_Tarw2-XL.jpg

Last edited:
We walked in the town of Manzanita, OR for lunch which was about a 30 min walk. There are many great options for food on the main street. After lunch we walked the beach back to the airport where they were kite surfing. In the distance we saw a group of planes coming and couldn't believe our eyes when a P-38 banked over the airport. That was something you don't see everyday.

623393576_pUcku-XL.jpg

623394236_k8KqL-XL.jpg

623395017_jo695-XL.jpg

The Olson's stayed in Oregon for another day but we had to head back to Utah so we said our goodbyes and headed home. It was 3 hours 20 minutes home and it was a beautiful flight.

623388404_PCGbw-XL.jpg

Last edited:
and once again the Schmidt's raise the bar. Thanks Scott.

Showed the pix to Kris and she said "I want that"....so off to the shop I go.

The Oregon Coast in late August and Septmeber is pretty awesome. Nehalem Bay is a great spot to drop in as well - always sites for fly-in camping.

TODR

Hours

...and thanks a lot, Scott.

BTW, how many hours do you put on your bird annually?

Regards,

We have been averaging just over 200 hours per year on our plane. It will be three years of flying this October and we are around 610 now.
This year was a little less than the previous two years due to weather. We had a pretty slow start to the spring.
I can always make RaNae flinch by saying, "our engine is 30% worn out"

I can't believe Paul and Victoria Rosales have 3000 hours. They definitely have raised the bar. I figured they average 333 hours per year. Pretty awesome!

Nehalem Bay, OR trip

Scott, Your trip write ups are always inspiring. Your photos raise the bar.

My son and daughter-in-law live in Tacoma, WA. I hope to fly N912PS out there to see some of the areas about which you write.

RE:Hay Stack Rock

Hi Scott

My wife and I were celebrating my oldest sons 40th birthday by spending time with his wife and beautiful little daughter at Pacific City ( South of Nehalem Bay ).......beautiful home in a gated community......while you were lounging by the beach in maybe even better accomadations....THE TENT;)

From our house high above the ocean we could see haystack rock which is shown in the distance of the last picture of your first thread ( it looks like Hay Stack Rock???). Here is my picture from the house.......shrouded in mist.....

What a beautiful time to spend on the Oregon coast....Temps OK...No Rain...Pleasant winds.......You and I know how to pick the best!!!!!:D

As I watched the airplanes fly up and down the coast I felt a bit of jealousy as my RV7A was supposed to make this trip but.....Buzz...is still in Phase 1 prison.

Thanks for the great story and pix. It allowed me to vicariously enjoy my RV trip to the Oregon coast.

Frank @ 1L8 AND SGU ...RV7A... N74BZ ... Phase 1

Last edited:
Food Recommendation in Manzanita

Based on your recommendation Scott, the co-pilot and I flew in last Friday, very nice.

After walking the beach, we had a light lunch at the at the "Bread and Ocean" Bakery which was excellent. A small place on the main drag with great coffee and drinks, and very tasty sandwiches with super high quality ingredients. We recommend.

Thanks for the write-up Scott!

Hans

hi Scott

Hi Scott,
Your photos are fantastic. Absolutely Stunning.
...and what a beautiful family.
Your entries exemplify what my organization is all about.
I hope you will one day check us out. Please feel free to
do so at www.americanaircampers.com
We might be a great fit.
Warmest Regards,
Your fellow aircamper,
Greg

Nehalem Bay Visit

I know this is an old thread, but since it has not been mentioned, be very carefull of the wind conditions here. There is almost always a cross wind, usually from the west, however it was an east wind yesterday, almost a direct cross wind gusting to 20 knots or more.
The problem is the 30-40' trees that line both sides of the runway as clearly visible in the pictures. Keep your speed up and be ready for the turbulence and the bottom to drop out.
You will earn your landings when the conditions are windy here. It is nothing to fear, but do take note.

Last edited:
Back