What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camloc Group Buy!!

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
All,

I responded to this topic in an RV6 section, but I wanted to post it to the main engine section as well (it's not model specific).

I (like many others I understand) am planning on using the camlocs for the cowling installation (as opposed to hinges). Skybolt makes a nice kit, but it is pricey and apparently takes forever to get.

There is an alternate company that makes a similar product, and they have kits specifically for the RV series. I have no experience or releation with the company, but they are made of stainless and seem to be high quality (please provide feedback if you have experience).

http://www.milspecproducts.com/cowlkits.htm#rv

Punch line is this...I spoke with them today about a multi-kit discount (i.e. "group buy"). Depending on how many people we have interested, it sounds like a discount on the order of 25% will be possible for a group buy. I'm not looking at making a cent on this deal, but I'd like to get together with others that may be purchasing to save us some money. They have kits for all different models, so they can be applicable for most any RV (see their website). They also stated that they are usually in stock, and they usually ship within 24 hours (might take a little longer for a big group)/

If interested, please respond with name, email, and phone number. I can be reached via this forum, or my email at [email protected].

Once I have an idea of the number of interested parties, I will coordinate with MilSpec and get us a firm price and go from there....

Thanks,
Scott Haskins
7A Fuse

Just fyi..I have purchased items from Milspec that I couldn't find anywhere else. There service was VERY good and fast.
Obviously, I recommend them.

I'm interested in the RV6/7/9/10 firewall kit, if these are the same quality as the Skybolts.

Do we need any special tools to install these things?

Dave

I'm interested and probably will need them by end of Jan, if not before then. I'd want the philips head.

I'm thinking of just adding them along the top and bottom and still retain the hinge for the sides. Obviously I wouldnt need all of them, then.

Last edited:
I'm interested, though I'm not sure I understand what exactly the firewall vs side kits cover. For side do they mean from the nose to the firewall?

I'm interested too, but it sure would be nice to hear from someone that has used or directly compared these to the very popular Skybolt product.

Skybolts vs. Milspec

scard said:
I'm interested too, but it sure would be nice to hear from someone that has used or directly compared these to the very popular Skybolt product.

A friend of mine is building a Lancair Legacy. When I saw it, I said, "You're using Skybolts too?" He said they were Milspec. I could see any difference. He said they are about half the price. Wish I would have known that. Plus Skybolt sort of scammed me when I made the order.

I wouldn't be surprised if Skybolt isn't making them for Milspec.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

I might be interested in a 9A firewall kit. What's better, slotted or Phillips? They say their slotted kits have a "Special Collared Slot to Prevent Screwdriver Slippage."

Mark

Last edited:
RV7Guy said:
A friend of mine is building a Lancair Legacy. When I saw it, I said, "You're using Skybolts too?" He said they were Milspec. I could see any difference. He said they are about half the price. Wish I would have known that. Plus Skybolt sort of scammed me when I made the order.

I wouldn't be surprised if Skybolt isn't making them for Milspec.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
I wouldn't be surprized if it's the other way around.

RV7Guy said:
He said they are about half the price.
According to their websites, the kits are the exact same price from either manufacturer. I mean exact, down to the penny. Of course this does not take into account any group buy discount.

BTW I think camlocks from either brand are a very worthwhile investment.

http://www.skybolt.com/

I am interested also. Haven't thought much about that portion as I'm a long ways from it. I also would be interested in which most people prefer slotted or phillips.

What is your time frame?

Last edited:
Alright sports fans...here's all the folow-up details. I think we are getting a great deal here, so I hope others join in this effort as well (tell your friends).

General Info:
* Milspec makes these units themself. Apparently they used to make them for Skybolt as well, but there was a falling out at some point between the two companies. Best I can tell (from company and other comments received), these should be fully equivalent to the Skybolt units.
* The actual units included in the kits are the heavy duty 4000 series noted on their website (see my original post). They are stainless steel and have adjustable receptacles for varying thicknesses.
* The kits include studs, grommets (receptacles), snap rings, and templates. The full RV7 kit, for example, includes 48 studs and receptacles (for 3" spacing). The firewall only kit includes 26 studs and receptacles, while the side kit includes 20.
* Kits can be purchased for most any airframe. See the website for specific details.
* The kits come in both Phillips and slotted varieties. Not sure why anyone would want to buy slotted, but whatever ?floats your boat??
* Camloc pliers are the only tools absolutely necessary to install the units. Many people opt for the snap ring installation tool (MS-T26, $16), and there is also a drill jig that is apparently advantageous as well (MS-T16, $25).
* If users do not wish to purchase tools, they have a rental program. You buy the tool up front, then they refund half your money when it is returned (assuming it is in reasonable condition).

The ?Deal?
* Deal participants can be any airframe and any kit. Applicable discount is simply % off each person?s respective kit. This doesn?t apply to onesie-twosie orders (gotta be a kit).
* If we get 20 commitments to join in the group buy, then each person will received 25% off their kit (can be firewall, sides, or full kit)!
* If we get 30 commitments to join in the group buy, then each person will receive 30% off their kit (can be firewall, sides, or full kit)! A full RV7 Phillips kit cost will be reduced from $452.94 to $317.06 if we get 30 participants!
* As of last night I think I was around 15 or 16 interested buyers. I feel confident we can get the 20 commitments, and I am hopeful we can rally for the 30 kits.

I Want In?What Do I Do Next:
* Email me direct ([email protected]) or post in this forum your name, address, phone number, and kit p/n (from website) you plan on purchasing.
* I will be taking names for the group discount until January 9, 2006. That should give everyone ample time to determine what (or if) they will be purchasing.
* Once the list is compiled, I will let everyone know the final tally and the discount we will be receiving. If anyone wishes to opt out (i.e. only wanted in at 30% off and not 25%), they can do so at that time.
* List will be forwarded to Milspec per prior arrangement. Each individual buyer will then be responsible for contacting Milspec. to arrange for payment and shipping information. I am not taking money nor shipping product?this is all going direct through the company (I?m just facilitating the deal). The buyer will have approximately one month to contact Milspec to order and identify themselves as a member of the group buy.

Hope that answers everyone?s questions. I am excited about the savings and hope we get others to participate as well.

Scott Haskins
7A Fuse

Camloc Buy

I'm interested - RV-8A QB. Can anyone provide info about the camloc kit options? Also, can anyone who actually used their products attest to form / fit / functin and reliability - both product and company?
Paul Valovich
-8A QB Fus
Ridgecrest, CA

I don't want in on the deal, but have a general comment...

I had slotted camlocs on my citabria cowling, and there were a couple of times when installing the cowling that the screwdriver slipped out of the slot and scratched the cowling paint (insert expletives here). If I were doing this on my RV, I would go with phillips. YMMV.

TShort said:
I might be interested - anyone know how they'll work with the Sam James cowl for the -8?

Thomas

The SJ cowl is the same thickness as the Van's standard cowl. I am also going with the SJ Cowl (extended) and plenum with induction system.
The Camlocks will install the same way with either cowl.

Skybolt kit include tools?

tx_jayhawk said:
* Camloc pliers are the only tools absolutely necessary to install the units. Many people opt for the snap ring installation tool (MS-T26, $16), and there is also a drill jig that is apparently advantageous as well (MS-T16, $25).

As I saw from a picture from Mickey's RV-8 website, the Skybolt kit comes with the camloc pliers and drill jigs. Is this correct, or did Mickey buy these seperately?

Obviously the discount from milspec would still be cheaper, but I was just wondering.

http://www.rv8.ch/article.php?story=20050820110924272&query=skybolt

Davepar said:
What's the fiberglass cloth for? I thought this was going to be easier than hinges. ;)
Good point. The intial installation is probably more difficult and time consuming than installing the hinges, though not by much. However, the payout will come every single time you have the cowl on/off over the life of the plane. A few more hours spent up front is well worth it.

FWIW I didn't use the supplied extra fiberglass and my installation is holding up fine.

skybolt kit

ericwolf said:
As I saw from a picture from Mickey's RV-8 website, the Skybolt kit comes with the camloc pliers and drill jigs. Is this correct, or did Mickey buy these seperately?
They came with the kit. Not sure how much they cost seperately. I had no problem with the delivery from Skybolt, btw.

30% Discount Confirmed

All,

Just wanted to give an update that the response has been overwhelming. The count stands at 38 kits right now, so we should be confirmed at the 30% discount.

I have requested a sample/overview of the product to give it a quick once-over before we place our orders. Everything I've read or heard indicates these are equivalent to the Skybolt units, but I want to verify.

As a reminder...I'll take names until 1/9/06 for anyone wanting a kit. For all those sending emails...I got your name down and will provide the "final list" to confirm about that time. Don't worry about notifying me of the tools...that can be handled direct through the company.

Thanks,
Scott
7A Fuse

Milspec

Thanks for your post. I'd be interested in the firewall fasteners for my -8. So... one more for your group! Bill Dicus

Scott, I'll take a full kit for my RV8. Please advise when more info is available.

Thanks for the deal...

Deene Ogden

Me, too, I think

I am using the Sam James Cowl on a -7A. Will James recommends the camlocks, so I'm a very likely.
h

camlock deal

Scott,

I'm in.
I've sent my info to you via your email.
Thanks for doing this for us.

Sam
7A
cabin stuff

RV7Factory said:
I had slotted camlocs on my citabria cowling, and there were a couple of times when installing the cowling that the screwdriver slipped out of the slot and scratched the cowling paint (insert expletives here). If I were doing this on my RV, I would go with phillips. YMMV.
I just happened to be surfing the Skybolt web site tonight and noticed that their slotted C-locs are "collared" to reduce/eliminate the screwdriver slipping out. Thought I would bring it up because I would hate to see someone spend extra $ based on my earlier comments. Good Luck!

Tools and templates required to install

Does anyone know which templates and tools you have to purchase in order to install the Milspec Camlocs?

What is the potential cost of the tools/templates?

It would be helpful to negotiate a discount on these as well.

-Mike Draper

I believe I've got everyone on the list, but I've been overwhelmed with responses and may not directly have responded to everyone (although I believe I have everyone down).

I'll post an update to this site in the next day or so. It will confirm who exactly I have on the list (no contact info) and answer some of the questions that have been raised (relevant to tools, kit components, and the "deal").

Stay tuned....

Scott

Firewall vs Full Kit

While we're waiting on further info from Scott perhaps we can hear some opinions as to whether we should be buying a full camlock kit or just a firewall kit. My initial thought was to go for just the firewall kit based on the following assumptions:
1. I believe the hinge failure problem is mainly around the firewall (does anybody have any info to the contrary).
2. I like the clean lines of having no fasteners showing along the side of the cowl.
3. I believe that the pins (for side hinges) are relatively easy to instal and remove (compared to the pins at the firewall which everyone says are very difficult).
4. The hinge pin can have a hidden end providing some level of engine security against tampering which would not be possible with the camlocks.

But I'd be very happy to be convinced to go for a full camlock kit if anyone can indicate the benefits.

Full Camloc Group Details and "The List"

All,

I created a quick website covering all aspects of the camloc group buy. Please review your information noted on the list and let me know of any changes by 1/11/06.

http://www.scottsrv7a.com/camloc.htm

Also, if you have not previously notified me of your desire to be included, please do so by that time.

Thanks,
Scott
7A Fuse

add me to the buy

I don't think my Email is working, just in case please count me in for a kit.

bill grischo
6a full kit phillips
480-812-1879

List Submitted

All,

See attached:

I submitted the final list, and we had a whopping 78 members participate! Also, I was able to confirm the 30% discount on the following three tools:

* 4P3 Camloc Pliers
* T26 Snap Ring Pliers
* T16 Drill Jig

When contacting Milspec, don't forget to mention that you are a part of the Vansairforce RV group buy to get the discount.

Scott
7A Fuse

Scott,
Thanks again for your great assistance. Just placed my order this morning. Nice people at MilSpec.

Bill

WOW! I just spoke with Jeromie at MilSpec and ordered my kit. What a great guy! Very nice and helpful and patient. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

Way to go Scott on orchestrating this deal for us!

-Jeff

tx_jayhawk said:
All,

I created a quick website covering all aspects of the camloc group buy. Please review your information noted on the list and let me know of any changes by 1/11/06.

Also, if you have not previously notified me of your desire to be included, please do so by that time.

Thanks,
Scott
7A Fuse
Thanks for your effort you have helped alot of people save alot of money.

Glad to be part of this community

I just placed my order with Milspec, good folks. Big thanks to Scott for facilitating this deal and thanks to DR for bringing us all together in this great forum. I have been lurking around these forums for quite a while, this thread gave me the extra motivation to join up.

Talking to Jeromy at Milspec, he seemed pleasantly surprised by the overwhelming response to this offer. It seems that we could do more 'deals' like this for other items that a good number of us have interest in. I'm thinking the DRDT-2 might be a candidate for another group buy. I'm not ready to volunteer as coordinator at this time, but if someone else doesn't start it, I could get around to it in a couple weeks or so. There wouldn't be any fancy websites or anything if I did it.

It strikes me that the power of the group purchase has absolutely enormous potential. And as the value of the product became more expensive then the savings would become even more significant. And I would imagine that you wouldn't need all that many in a purchasing group to get significant discounts from many manufacturers....all manufacturers/vendors are seduced by volume.
For example you might need say 30 buyers to get a nice discount on some camlocks but on a Garmin 430 or a GRT EFIS you might only need 10 in the group to achieve some really worthwhile savings.

I hope this camloc group buy works out, it looks set up in a good way, names passed on to company, individuals paying directly to shipping company, not taken by individual etc. All it needs is someone willing to co-ordinate the thing. I hope in 6-12 months it will run again. Then I'll be in. I'll be watching for other interesting groups buys. Regards, Rudi

the skybolts are adustable. The female side is on threads that has a locking pin feature that allows all of the male posts to be the same length.

I haven't used the milspec camlocs, but if they are mill spec camlocs then they wouldn't be adjustable.

the fiberglass is variable thickness. So the adjustable depth is very nice.

I have the Skybolts on my -7

jmho

caryr

Back