What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro video camera questions

Go Pro camera user

Hi Rene,
I have used the GoPro cameras wide and normal angle. The normal angle is fairly narrow (aperture, 60ft out will capture about 40ft wide) Clarity, a little better than the wide angle straight on if shooting over 60ft out. Up close the same. My friend Paul opinion about the normal/narrow lens, he wants to trade for one of my 170's na...Here is a link to AirShow Buzz. I post some stills ( http://www.asb.tv/search.php#thomas shpakow )Video- go to YouTube and search with my N-# N28KT. If you decide to purchase a camera, the helmet camera has all the mounting hardware you'll need. The motor sports hardware package is more $$ and is useless for mounting externally on aircraft. You'll end up making your own specialty mount like I did. Hope this helps ya.

Thomas Shpakow
www.3gignition.com

Bear in mind that I'm in the video profession part-time, and therefore a total video nerd, so my judgement on these matters may be slightly skewed. ;)

The camera in question appears to support the theory that still-cameras are generally not the best video cameras, and vice versa. It appears to be a fairly decent-resolution 5 megapixel still camera (2592x1944), but a fairly low-reolution video camera (512x384), and although the manufacturer claims it records at 30 frames per second (fps), the two sample videos I suffered through do not appear to demonstrate that. They appeared to be running at about 15 fps. Ugh. No offense to anyone already using this system, but I find the picture quality repulsive. (Thomas, your acro video at least demonstrated it at 30 fps, which was much better than the manufacturer's demo!)

In the rapidly-evolving world of consumer video, I would stay away from the lower-res systems. I think that after the novelty of having a video camera on/in your airplane fades, you'll grow tired of the poor picture quality very quickly. At the very least, I would look into higher-resolution options, such as the Datatoys XM-DVRs that record video at 720x480 30fps (NTSC) or, for lucky European consumers, 720x576 25fps (PAL).

There are others, and I'll try to post some more links this evening when I get home.

Last edited:
Wide Angle works just fine.

Most of this video is made via the wide Angle.
Shots made FROM inside the RV-8 are made using the GoPro Wide Angle.
Shots made FROM inside the RV-7 are made using a HQ Camcorder.

Both aircraft will be Oshkosh.

http://www.vimeo.com/4070998
At around 2min in the video is when the fun really starts...

Best regards,
Arjan Plomp
N83SE

Last edited:
Back