What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RE: BUZZ has air under his wings

fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: BUZZ has air under his wings

At 6:30 AM with calm air, beautiful puffy clouds, and a rising sun to the East my 4 year 10 month and 1 day build of BUZZ known to the FAA as N74BZ,
RV7A took to the air for the first time piloted by Gene Porter.....pilot extraordinar.....build helper....and great friend.

Typical stats.....Great engine numbers....straight and true flight qualities.....fun....with Grins all around.

First Landing courtesy of Jim Hicklin Photography...Thanks Jim

Thanks to all you VAF folks for all your help, info, and guidance.

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... PHASE ONE UNDERWAY:D

Last edited:
Congrats Frank. Looks like a great morning for a first flight. Enjoy phase 1.

YES!!!! Congratulations on the big event! Nothing I can say can compare to the feeling you already have--enjoy it.

Guy

Outstanding Frank! It's been great following your build progress - now looking forward to your piloting reports.

Great Job Frank 2

Waay cool...Even though its a little toasty down there right now.

Prolly have to do your break in flights (hi power) early in the am to get the most cooling.

Well done my friend.

Frank 1

Isn't it great!

Congratulations!! Gotta love it; so many first flights means so many people are having such a great time. Enjoy your new baby.

What a beauty! And scenery too! Congrats!

Yes, Frank lives in a scenic area all right! The Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, and numerous scenic national/state parks such as Zions and Bryce............are only minutes away by RV! Desert to pine trees, take your pick.

Congrats, and see you around some time. I travel that direction often, once the heat cools a bit.. Colorful red rock & blue sky is soothing for the mind :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A (flying)

Hi Frank,

Congrats on the successful first flight with Gene Porter. Great looking airplane.

What's the deal with the nose gear on that first landing? It looks like it was turned around. Maybe just an illusion.
(cancel that question - the nose strut is lined up perfectly with the right gear leg - all is normal :))

Last edited:
YEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAWWWWW!

That is great news Frank. What a big milestone in your life!
I'm looking forward to seeing your plane next week. I'll be in the area on Wed.

Great job too Gene.

It doesn't get much more fun than that does it? We are all very lucky.

RE:BUZZ

Frank,
Congrats! What does the BZ stand for in your N number?

Hi Don

My father's nick name was Buzz. He gave me so much in my life that I felt impresssed to name the plane after him. So it is an RV7A for BUZZ or N74BZ.

His life's story is pretty unique and probably not for this forum so let's just say he was an independent hard rock miner that gave me a love of building stuff and aviation!!!!

I really miss him and my Mom but at least the plane continues their spirit....

Side story is my Mom's nick name was Mike......

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Phase 1 hour #2 flown this AM by Gene ....Hey it's my plane when is going to be my turn.

Very nice memorial to your Pop.
I also have BZ in my number. If you study ancient Navy flag code, when the B flag and Z flag are flown together, it means "Well Done".

As Paul Harvey used to say:
"Now you know the rest of the story".

RE:Serendipity

Don

Your comments really were Serendipitious! I really sat back and had to think about this one. Now realize I am not one to pay much attention to the surreal but I think through you my Dad may have passed along his sentiments. I hate to show my real soft side but your comments brought a few tears to my eyes. THANKS!!!!!!

Could someone please pass me a tissue.:eek:

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... 2nd flight Phase 1

Very nice memorial to your Pop.
I also have BZ in my number. If you study ancient Navy flag code, when the B flag and Z flag are flown together, it means "Well Done".

As Paul Harvey used to say:
"Now you know the rest of the story".

Congratulations, Frank, and BZ! Hope you enjoy many rewarding years flying your plane and remembering your Dad. :)

Corrected typo.

through you my Dad may have passed along his sentiments...

Frank,
I know what you mean...I have been blessed to have been able to share my last 9 years of building with my Dad. I remember a very serious conversation that I once had with him while we were driving home from a fly-in. I told him that if it weren't for the project, the two of us would not be spending any quality time together because we were always too busy. I remember calling this time together "The RV Dividend". There are many such "Dividends" that help to offset the time and treasure that we give up in order to take on our projects. In the meantime, I have banked priceless time with the Old Man.

Today the FAA comes for my big inspection. Hopefully when the day is over, my Dad can tell me "Bravo Zulu Son...you built a good ship."

Frank,

I was on my computer last night and for some reason wanted to check out this website and wondered if you had flown your RV and sure enough you had.. Congratulations.. I bet you are having so much fun... I still hope to someday finish my PPL and build an RV as you have done.. Not sure I could build on as nice as the one you built though... That plane is a thing of beauty... Keep the photo's coming... Have fun up there.....

RE:Thanks

Frank,

I was on my computer last night and for some reason wanted to check out this website and wondered if you had flown your RV and sure enough you had.. Congratulations.. I bet you are having so much fun... I still hope to someday finish my PPL and build an RV as you have done.. Not sure I could build on as nice as the one you built though... That plane is a thing of beauty... Keep the photo's coming... Have fun up there.....

Hi Dave

Great to hear from you. Thanks for your kind comments and also THANKS for you being a first responder!!!!!:)

Frank @ 1L8 and SGU ...RV7A... Phase 1

Back