What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

?Will that be With Power, or Without?? - A Week of Aviating

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I have a wonderful wife. For Christmas, Louise told me that she thought I?d been sitting on the same ratings for to many years, and that maybe I needed to try something new. To make this happen, she got me set up with a Soaring school east of mount Palomar in California, and on our holiday trip to Big Bear Lake, we flew down so I could have my first lesson. It was great ? and I couldn?t wait to get back for some real training towards a Glider rating.

Time flies when you?re flying? Before I knew it, half the year had slipped by, and we hadn?t gotten back to Southern California. Then an opportunity arose due to some delays at work, and I suddenly found myself with an entire free week, ending with the Fourth of July. I called Sky Sailing, the glider school, and asked if it was feasible to add on a Private Glider privilege to my ticket in just one week, if I promised to dedicate myself and show up all day, every day. They made no promises, but said that we sure could give it a try, so I loaded the Val, left the internet (mostly) behind, and headed to our cabin in the mountains. It?s just a 30 minute commute in the RV-8 between Big Bear and Warner Springs, and I was looking forward to all the flying I could stand!

The weather proved phenomenal, and the RV ran like clockwork every day. I?d be airborne out of L35 by 0800 each morning, landing at the Glider Port just about 32 minutes later, ready to go flying at a somewhat more sedate pace. Throw on the canopy cover, grab a ride to the office on a golf cart, and pick out a glider. My biggest concern? Figuring out how to relax and at the same time make sure that you can always make it back to the runway with no motor. (Hey, I?ve been a power pilot for more than 35 years ? I guess I?m a little used to having an engine!) My instructor had a great way of making sure I didn?t fly too low over, or close to, the tie-down area at the approach end of the runway?.?Gee, it would be a shame if we nicked that nice looking red and white RV parked down there?.?

Every day, I slid down from the 6750? msl Big Bear airport to the warmer, drier, and lower valleys east of San Diego. Each evening, tired from learning, I?d climb the Val back up and over the 10,000? ridge to drop back in to the cabin. And man, was it great! Nothing to do but fly, learn about flying, and fly some more. My primary instructor was Garret Willat, freshly returned from a soaring meet with a four-foot high trophy that said ?National Champion? on it. That gives a student confidence! On our very first landing, as we were getting ready to flair, he said ?just three-point it?. We both knew that this was a bicycle, but he knew I?d know what he meant - it was great to be flying with someone who has experience, not just knowledge. We had some good soaring days, and some days where it was best to just get dragged up to downwind, release, and practice landings ? not much point in looking for lift that wasn?t there. I enjoyed flying on tow ? a nice way to hone one?s formation skills, actually. And for those of us who know the dirty little secret about RV?s(you barely have to touch the rudders in flight ? they have almost no adverse yaw), it was good to get my feet back in shape for something other than tailwheel landings and take-offs.

I first soloed an airplane (a J-3 Cub) over three decades ago. My first Glider solo was similar ? a blur of events that go by so quickly that you have to savor it when it?s complete! They mount a camera on the wing, looking at the cockpit for the event ? I?m not sure if it?s to capture the moment ? or provide data for a post-crash investigation.

R1-22A.jpg

The next couple of days were a combination of solo flights and additional dual to prep for the check ride. I flew the round trip in the Val every day but Friday, which I took off to relax before the exam on the 4th. You know how it feels to be relaxed and fully confident the night before a check ride? Well?don?t feel bad, neither do I. I?m my own worst critic, and can come up with all sorts of things I don?t know, or ways to screw up. Fortunately, the examiner was great to work with, and by early afternoon, following an oral and three tows, I had a new line on my license ? Glider ? along with my other ratings. I couldn?t help but offer the examiner a ride when she expressed interest in the RV. I could tell from the whoops in the back as she did a few steep turns that she was going to have a tough time getting rid of the grin. Her best comment? ?Look at those itty-bitty wings!? She and her husband have a gorgeous Helio Courier ? that burns three times the fuel it takes to have a lot more fun in an RV. She asked a LOT of questions about RV?s. That?s the way it begins, I warned her?. I put 23 hours on the Val in 8 days, and every minute is still fun.

Getting a new rating was really a treat ? and a great experience. It is easy to coast along without great new challenges. I?ve been flying the Val for three and a half years, and building her was one of the best things I?ve done in aviation. But I needed something new, and while the -3 project is cranking up, a personal goal was nice to achieve. As I said ? I have a wonderful wife, and she?d be just as wonderful if she didn?t have her own RV. How many guys get the support to disappear for a week of nothing but flying and learning ? for no other purpose than to expand their repertoire? Thanks honey!

Paul

Thanks Paul. The inspiration is worthwhile to be a better pilot. I'm working on my Commercial at the (slow) flight school pace now. More exciting experiences apparently await...

Congratulations on your new rating. I used to live in the Perris area and made a trip over to Borrego Springs one day for a glider ride. Garret was my instructor for my intro flight as well and I have to say he is an amazing pilot. He showed me things I couldn't even imagine in a powered aircraft much less a glider. One of these days I am meaning to head back that way and do what you have done. Thanks for the write up... brought back a few memories.

How many turnbacks, Paul?

This thread brought to mind the turnback discussion on here awhile back.

We practised quite a few turnbacks during my glider training (Lordy, 30 years ago:eek:) in the Schweiser 232's at the time.

Congratulations,

Turnback's? I guess we did a few - it sure takes some adjusting to realize that the biggest problem with a 200 foot rope break in a 10 knot wind is making sure you don't run off the FAR end of the runway after the downwind landing....;)

Paul

Congrats! I find soaring very, very rewarding. You are always working, looking for the next lift, thinking about where you need to go next. The constant mental challenge is great.

Come to Dallas if you want to get more glider time. I'll need victims - er, volunteer "students" when I start on my CFIG work next month ;)

TODR

PS - We want a full report about how the Val thermals, including a polar. ;)

Great place to do it at! I need to do that rating... after my tailwheel, and before my seaplane. :)

Paul,

Glad you have discovered the joys of soaring flight. If you feel the urge, it is really different to fly something modern and sleek. Take a little more training and get your hands on something like a Discus, very benign to fly and a 42:1 glide ratio. If you can get a ride in a Nimbus 3D you'll start to understand what adverse yaw is really about, and what seriously long wings can do for the glide ratio. X-C glider flying is really where the fun is - fly all day for 2 gallons of gas.

Pete

Paul,

Glad you have discovered the joys of soaring flight. If you feel the urge, it is really different to fly something modern and sleek....
Aww, I just wrote Paul a note about how great the little 1-26 is, he did fly a 1-26 several times after soloing the 2-33.

A Discus or Nimbus III is OK if that is all that is available.

Congratulations on the new rating Paul!

Aww, I just wrote Paul a note about how great the little 1-26 is, he did fly a 1-26 several times after soloing the 2-33.

A Discus or Nimbus III is OK if that is all that is available.

Congratulations on the new rating Paul!

I guess that's about the only area of aviation where the Europeans win over the Septics - the club I fly at has 3 Discus & 2 DG1000s in the club fleet.:D

I guess that's about the only area of aviation where the Europeans win over the Septics - the club I fly at has 3 Discus & 2 DG1000s in the club fleet.:D
Wow! Dare I ask what a tow costs over there? We pay $30 for a 3000' tow in our club; pattern tows are $15, including rental of a club glider....

TODR

Wow! Dare I ask what a tow costs over there? We pay $30 for a 3000' tow in our club; pattern tows are $15, including rental of a club glider....

TODR

2000' aerotow is ?30 (5 tugs available), additional 500' is ?3. No such thing as a pattern tow! Winch launch is ?8.25, today ?1 = $1.6.

Soaring time is between ?0.53 and ?0.58 per minute, maximum charge 2 hours regardless of actual airborne time.

Current fleet is around 7 x K13 for basic training, 2 x K21, 3 x Duo Discus/DG1000, 3 x Grob 102, 3 x Discus plus a couple of motor gliders. Launches available 9am to 6pm, 364 days of the year (wx permitting of course) from a 6000' hard runway owned by the club.

Pete

My first rating was glider and soaring is one of the most enjoyable ways to spend an afternoon. This is from a DG-300 I used to own. You need to try some wave sometime too. I've been to 22,000 MSL but a previous owner of this glider was up to around 34,000, maybe more. It may still be the New Mexico altitude record for a standard class glider.

IMG_0216.jpg

Back