What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single person removal of wings

Due to monthly costs of keeping a plane at the airport I've been thinking about leaning towards the 12. Looking at the videos it appears to be a 2-person job. Was wondering if anyone out there had been working on some kind of a dolly system that would allow a single person to install/remove the wings. I don't know if this would even be feasible or not. I would be looking to keep this in about a 24 foot enclosed cargo trailer.

Here is a glider version...

Due to monthly costs of keeping a plane at the airport I've been thinking about leaning towards the 12. Looking at the videos it appears to be a 2-person job. Was wondering if anyone out there had been working on some kind of a dolly system that would allow a single person to install/remove the wings. I don't know if this would even be feasible or not. I would be looking to keep this in about a 24 foot enclosed cargo trailer.

...in operation.

http://www.mmfabrication.com/Rigging.htm

I would think the RV-12 wings could be handled in a similar way, and being shorter they would be more manageable.

If you just roll them into a storage trailer, the final supports at this end location should be easier to design than getting the wings into rolling trailer dollies.

MM Fabrication

...in operation.

http://www.mmfabrication.com/Rigging.htm

I would think the RV-12 wings could be handled in a similar way, and being shorter they would be more manageable.

If you just roll them into a storage trailer, the final supports at this end location should be easier to design than getting the wings into rolling trailer dollies.

I have used Mark's glider dolly's at the glider club in Moriarty, NM. He makes a great set of products and is a darn nice guy...

I have used Mark's glider dolly's at the glider club in Moriarty, NM. He makes a great set of products and is a darn nice guy...
I would second the use of grider-type dollies in general. Assembling a glider single-handed is a PITA no matter how you slice it, but the dollies help. Haven't seen MM"s work, but he has a good rep.

TODR

Single Person Wing Removal/Installation

My hangar only allows about 1.5-inches off each wing tip for the RV-12 and I have been considering ways to handle things.

1. 4-caster dollies with very low platform under each wheel - cant plane sideways, push out of hangar, straighten plane, remove dollies. Repeat for putting back in hangar. Prototype dollie surface is only 1-inch high and a wedged board..or ramp...should allow easy installation/removal.

2. A 4-wheel bicycle-wheeled-dollie like a coffin dolly...at the right height the spar should enter no problem, and the one man (me) at the outer end could jiggle it up and down as needed...might work.

3. Modify hangar door...major work, major pain...rejected idea.

4. Watching for more ideas, and continuing to build the RV-12 with my RV-6A squeezed in the hangar.

Also a common...

1. 4-caster dollies with very low platform under each wheel - cant plane sideways, push out of hangar, straighten plane, remove dollies. Repeat for putting back in hangar. Prototype dollie surface is only 1-inch high and a wedged board..or ramp...should allow easy installation/removal.

..glider storage solution...:)

http://www.airspeedstore.com/servlet/the-7/Custom-Built-Glider-Dolly/Detail

...and another example here...

dolly.jpg

Back