What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2nd annual(2009) Reno Air Races RV BBQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Looks like the highly successful event from last year will return for an encore:D

I just got the word from Bob Mills, that the green light has been turned on.

Sept 19th, Saturday.

Some of last years attendees.

DSC01477.jpg

DSC01478.jpg

DSC01480.jpg

DSC01482.jpg

DSC01576.jpg

DSC01558.jpg

Folks planning on attending, a post with a head count would be appreciated.

I am in for 4.

Last edited:
Greg Arehart, Dan Ross and I discussed this yesterday, and Greg made a prelim post in "Places to Visit, USA Nevada" yesterday. Mike graciously gave the news a bump with this posting (thanks Mike!)

Dan has offered up his flight-line front and center hangar as the venue once again, and Saturday evening of the races is the target time for the event. Dan's hangar is forward of the "dead line" which means we can't set up till after the last heat that day. However, it's a great location with an incredible view of the line and the many awesome aircraft parked there (he calls it "beach-front property!).

This week is Pylon Racing School, where the participants get some training, qualification and practice time. If anyone wants to see things up close and personal, head on out to Reno-Stead this week! Good way to get psyched up for the big race in September! Rare Bear has been getting new paint, and looks awesome, but so far won't let any pics be taken. Maybe we'll get a sneak preview this week, along with seeing some other really cool aircraft!

Greg, Dan, Mike and I hope many RV and VAF friends can make it to the R3 (R cubed, or Reno RV Rendezvous) in September. Looking forward to seeing you there! As it gets closer, or when you know you can (or might) make it, please post to this thread, and we'll add you to the list and get provisioned accordingly!

Thanks to Greg for leading the charge on this, and to Dan for offering up his corner lot! More to come as it gets closer.

Cheers,
Bob

What a great opportunity

I haven't been to Reno since the 1987 races.

I don't care much for air shows any more but the the unlimiteds roaring by at 400 to 500 mph is something that I would find difficult to tire of. I have never seen the Sport Class race there and I really want to do that. The shows that I did see at Reno were the greatest - Jimmy Franklin flying the black Aerostar to the music from 2001 Space Odyssey in his "Zorn" performance, Art Scholl Standing on the wing of his Chipmunk flying it down the show line, Lefty Gardner wringing out his P-38 and Bob Hoover his Shrike Commander were memorable.

Unfortunately our itinerary for that day reads:

Our day starts with a drive through the farm lands of Oslofjord to Sweden's 350 year old city of Gothenburg...

Bob Axsom

I am trying my best to work logistics for a second year in a row trip out there...if I can pull it off, I will most definitely be at the BBQ. I have the green light from my wife to go, but I gotta pull the funds together...:rolleyes:

Hope to be in the head count!

:cool:

It would be helpful....

if those who have attended the air races would post some info on where to stay, what airport to fly into, etc...

I have never been to Reno or the races and I am planning to go this year but don't know the first thing about the logistics of doing so.

tried a search with limited results

That BBQ was a lot of fun!

I was telling Chad not too long ago that I was probably going to skip Reno this year. But now? It's too soon for me to commit, but I may have to rethink my plans especially now that I know the BBQ is a repeat. :)

A group of friends and I are planning to attend 4 I think maybe more will let you know. Info on where to stay and fly in to would be helpful.

if those who have attended the air races would post some info on where to stay, what airport to fly into, etc...

I have never been to Reno or the races and I am planning to go this year but don't know the first thing about the logistics of doing so.

tried a search with limited results

A group of friends and I are planning to attend 4 I think maybe more will let you know. Info on where to stay and fly in to would be helpful.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=reno+hotels&aq=5&oq=reno&aqi=g10&fp=o_VdPM6d8GM

Many of the hotels provide shuttle service to the races, be sure to ask about that when you make reservations.

We flew into Carson City last year south of Reno. Avoids the rush and hassle of Reno/ Tahoe.

Most of the bigger hotels offer transportation to races via bus or a rental car works if you land at Carson. Book the car now- rates are about triple if you try when you land.

Greg Arehart, Dan Ross and I discussed this yesterday, and Greg made a prelim post in "Places to Visit, USA Nevada" yesterday. Mike graciously gave the news a bump with this posting (thanks Mike!)

Dan has offered up his flight-line front and center hangar as the venue once again, and Saturday evening of the races is the target time for the event. Dan's hangar is forward of the "dead line" which means we can't set up till after the last heat that day. However, it's a great location with an incredible view of the line and the many awesome aircraft parked there (he calls it "beach-front property!).

This week is Pylon Racing School, where the participants get some training, qualification and practice time. If anyone wants to see things up close and personal, head on out to Reno-Stead this week! Good way to get psyched up for the big race in September! Rare Bear has been getting new paint, and looks awesome, but so far won't let any pics be taken. Maybe we'll get a sneak preview this week, along with seeing some other really cool aircraft!

Greg, Dan, Mike and I hope many RV and VAF friends can make it to the R3 (R cubed, or Reno RV Rendezvous) in September. Looking forward to seeing you there! As it gets closer, or when you know you can (or might) make it, please post to this thread, and we'll add you to the list and get provisioned accordingly!

Thanks to Greg for leading the charge on this, and to Dan for offering up his corner lot! More to come as it gets closer.

Cheers,
Bob

Don't plan on just dropping in. Check notams as Reno Stead is closed during "Q" school.
Tom

2nd annual Reno Air Races RV BBQ.

If "Q" school means the Pilot Refresher school, PRS, starting this Wed thru Sat, Stead is not closed. A little more activity with a temp twr, but very little hassle to get in or out of Stead. Dan

As Dan said, 4SD is NOT closed and I plan several flights in/out this week since the weather is supposed to get better. Tower is on same frequency as normal unicomm (122.7). Main differences from normal approach are:

contact tower at least 10 miles out (122.7)
expect L downwind for 26 or R downwind for 08 (opposite of normal approaches but keeps you out of the "trainer" traffic)
during biplane/F1 race times you might end up on runway 14

greg

It's a kind of working holiday for me and we are working with at least two teams this year- one Conti and one Lyco so far. If I have time, I'll try to make it to the BBQ this year. If not, I'm usually in the Sport Class hangar most of the time, around Mike Dacey's Venture.

Last edited:
If "Q" school means the Pilot Refresher school, PRS, starting this Wed thru Sat, Stead is not closed. A little more activity with a temp twr, but very little hassle to get in or out of Stead. Dan

"Q" stands for qualifying. As you know if one gets a race liscence and doesn't use it for two years then he/she needs to re "Q"ualify. Glad to see they've opened up access to Stead.
Tom

It's a kind of working holiday for me and we are working with at least two teams this year- one Conti and one Lyco so far. If I have time, I'll try to make it to the BBQ this year. If not, I'm usually in the Sport Class hangar most of the time, around Mike Dacey's Venture.

One can only guess which lyc team needs a little 'push' from EFI.. :)

I'm probably in for 2-4 but it depends on if my team has me working or not... or more accurately, if the darn airplane breaks or not ;).

Mike's idea is great...a little BBQ delivery for RV bros working hard on racers is something I'd be happy to do as well! Especially if it means getting a little look under the hood of some cool airplanes! :)

Hopefully we can hook up with others throughout the races. Maybe I can figure out a way for us to contact each other easily. At the very least, I'll try to come up with a picture of where our hangars are, so folks can come visit. I'll offer up my hangar as a rally point (it's behind the dead line so folks can wander by any time), and maybe put up a notepad where folks can post where they are hanging out, if desired. It has no view, but is close to the bleachers...and I'll have a fridge full of frosties (leaded and unleaded) for the gang!

I'll try to get some Pylon Racing School photos this weekend, to get the juices flowing!

Cheers,
Bob

One can only guess which lyc team needs a little 'push' from EFI.. :)

We are working with 2 other privateers this year. Sharp and the Lycoming boffins are the only ones making mechanical injection work well on competitive turbo engines at this point. Has a lot to do with cubic $$$ and plenty of development and testing time available. Mechanical injection is not working well at all on the Contis and not so great on the higher boost Lycos either. Conti is suddenly interested in helping a bit now although they may be learning more from us than we learn from them. Doubtful they have ever pushed a 550 to these levels before!

Mike's success last year with EFI shows how much better it can be than old school FI which was never designed to handle these fuel flows or boost pressures.

What Sharp/Lycoming have done is truely amazing, I've seen parts that 'don't exsist' that lycoming must have spent tens of thousands of dollars on... and they never ended up on the airplane.

I really think what you guys are doing with an Egg and a 550 is even more amazing given the budget... Sharp was a little worried last year... at least from the rumblings I heard. :) "Only so much this engine can do"

Pylon Racing School Pix

A little conspiring between Mike S and I...some pix from Pylon Racing School this week, just to keep the Reno Air Race (and R3 BBQ) Mojo flowing! Wish I'd taken some video so I could pipe in the sound for ya!

Lot's of cool airplanes, though some of the familiar Unlimited guys were not there. Still purty neat!

Oooh Rah Corsair!
prscorsair.jpg

A pair of "North Americans"
prsp51t28.jpg

P-40 Warhawk
prsp402.jpg

L-39s
prsl39sa.jpg

Venom, Viper, Vampire? (heard it called all 3). Pretty neat...and fast.
prsvenom.jpg

Lancair (the fast, little guys were out too!)
prslancair.jpg

Questair Venture...heard he can do well over 300...with fixed gear!
prsqv.jpg

A couple more, including flying shots, in the next post.

Cheers,
Bob

PRS pix, part 2

"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
prsl39turn.jpg

My boys cuttin' up with former NASA astronaut, Curt Brown, just before he went out as an instructor in the Venom (should have asked him what it was!). (Paul, Curt said to say hi to you and Scooter!)
prscurt.jpg

There's Curt, just before his pass of the L-39
prsl39vair.jpg

New entries in the Jet class? (Nah, just some of the regulars at Stead)
prsmigs.jpg

Hope many of you can make the races...and the BBQ...in September!

Cheers,
Bob

Vampire

Thanks David...excellent research! It sounded pretty cool going arount the pylons too!

Cheers,
Bob

Old memories come back...

....from the days I gazed upwards at the Vamps in Rhodesia. The RRAF had them in the 60's. (Royal Rhodesian Air Force)....blimy:)

Thanks,

Reno-Stead update

Effective today the airport designator for Reno-Stead has changed from 4SD to RTS, in case any of you are already planning arrivals.

greg

Ironflight and Louise are in!

We couldn't pass up Southwest's super cheap ticket special that's on today and tomorrow so we're booked to fly up in the aluminum tube for the weekend. Sort of Paul's birthday present. See ya' there! :D

Wish I could go this year, but with having to take a lot of time off from work (two months) due to the surgeries, I don't see me making it this year.

I will say to anyone thinking about going...GO! The R3 BBQ plus the Air Races plus the Section 3 crowd are all worth the trip.

Have fun...and maybe next year I can make it.

My surgery and subsequent healing is going well, so I'm confident in being able to claim 3 to attend the event.

Couple questions since it's creeping up.

1) I'm hoping we can just bring $ to help out with the BBQ costs. Not sure we can con the shuttle into stopping at a store on the way to the races.

2) Will we need a pit pass on Saturday to get to the hanger? It was mentioned that setup would take place after the last heat, but I'm not sure if staff will let Joe Public over that way even after the races without a pit pass.

I'm still in for 2 and really looking forward to it!

sfury.JPG

Jeff,

I think legally they cannot stop you from coming into the hangar area after the races have ended. That said, give me a call if you experience difficulties and I'll come to the west gate and get you in.

greg

775-762-7550

Looks like 2 more in from North Carolina.. .(maybe more?).. still in early planning stages, though.

R3 Barbeque location

Look on Google Earth for the following coordinates:

N39-39.4329 W119-53.0770. If I knew how to capture the photo and put a yellow arrow pointing at the hangar, I would.

It's the last hangar on the first row, right near and perpendicular the taxiway, AKA beach front property for the air races.

Dan.

Heres a photo. For a bigger picture, just google stead, nv airport

Sorry, I can't figure out how to post a real picture here, only the link.

You will want to either come down through the pit area (if you have a pit pass) to the hangar near the end of the Saturday races, or you can come in the west gate (it is numbered, but I forget what number they give it during the races), which is essentially the continuation of Mt. Anderson Ave. if you cannot get through the pit area.

greg

[img=http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8935/63746611.th.jpg]

I am planning on attending solo - first time! Looking forward to meeting up at the BBQ. I will be staying in Truckee and renting a car there. If I can bring something, contribute $, or be of any assistance, please let me know

erich weaver

BBQ location info.

Here is a aerial shot of the hangar that the BBQ will be held in.

It is the one at the upper right, centered in the shot.

The tarmac area to the right--(east)-- with the DC3 in it is where the pits will be at race time.

This is not accessible until after the end of the days racing, due to the proximity to the runway------safety zone.

If you zoom out a click or two, the bleachers are visible off to the right, kinda purple rectangular area.

Centered in this shot.

Last edited:
Am I correct in assuming that reserved seating and general admission seating is in the same general area - ie. the grand stand?

erich

Am I correct in assuming that reserved seating and general admission seating is in the same general area - ie. the grand stand?

erich

Yep, unless you have a pit pass and/or one of the nice 'club' memberships. I find that I spend less than an hour or some outside of the pit area every year... so I highly recommend a pit pass. Come by and see the little formula guys! Nice shady hanger! Just finished the spinner for #3 tonight....

Head count

now stands at around 35 confirmed (counting us locals). Anyone else who thinks they might attend, please let us know so we can get the appropriate amount of refreshment materials.

Just wanted to bump this to the front page again as its only a couple weeks off.

cheers,
greg

I was asked indirectly by the assistant airport manager to make it clear that although you can fly into RTS early or late in the day during race week, there is essentially NO PARKING available unless you have a hangar on the field. If you are coming to the BBQ, it will be much easier to do so in a ground vehicle than in an airplane.

greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back