What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting RV-8A to 8

Junglepilot

Well Known Member
I am looking at a partially finished kit (8-A). Current builder says he was considering the switch to 8 when he decided to sell the project. He said in a recent email:

"I think we talked about converting it to a tail dragger. I stopped building on it because it's at a point where it would be MUCH easier to convert to tail dragger right now. If I attached the forward belly skin (next thing to do) then it's a lot more work to convert - but with it off (like it is now) the conversion is very easy."

I am an A&P with experience. How difficult is this? What will I have to buy to add to the purchase to accomplish this?

Maybe I am asking for a simple answer to a complex question. But basically is this easily done? Common change?

Thanks,

Sandy

8 to 8a

The big difference is the 8A gear legs attach to the wing spar box and the 8 has gear towers .Take a look thru the Rv8 "show us the status of your project" for some photos. Or better yet order a set of preveiw plans as they show the plans for both.

It is a slow build kit almost to the quick build stage is how it is described. I am going to look at it this week another experienced A&P and two time RV builder (RV4 & Harmon Rocket).

It is a slow build kit almost to the quick build stage is how it is described. I am going to look at it this week another experienced A&P and two time RV builder (RV4 & Harmon Rocket).

Is it a -1 fuselage (all pre-punched)?

Whether it is or not, the fwd side skins, fwd bottom skins, and some of the misc. structure are different between the two. The fuselage from the center section aft, and the firewall assembly are for the most part the same.

The change would be easier if it were a -1 fuselage kit. If it was not, I personally would probably not consider it unless the price was an absolute steal.

I have heard of one guy that converted his RV-8A to an RV-8 by using an engine mount with gear legs. Looked like a rocket. He was also in your position.

AX-O, do you know a N number or the name of that person? I have some questions for him if anyone knows how to get ahold of him.

Thanks, Lance

Bought it

I did buy the project. Now am looking to swap out with someone to get a standard RV-8 Dynafocal engine mount, RV-8 main gear legs, and RV-8 tail gear assembly.

I have the NEW RV-8A engine mount, main gear, and nose gear.

I have posted in the classifieds also.

Sandy, check on a RV-9 engine mount and gear leg combo. Guy in the hanger next to mine is building a 9 and the gear goes in at the firewall into the bottom of the engine mount. Don't know the withe, but it cold be modified to aligne with the engine mounts for a RV-8a. Best of luck, Bill

Sandy, check on a RV-9 engine mount and gear leg combo. Guy in the hanger next to mine is building a 9 and the gear goes in at the firewall into the bottom of the engine mount. Don't know the withe, but it cold be modified to aligne with the engine mounts for a RV-8a. Best of luck, Bill
Bill,

That is the same for the all the tail draggers, except for the -8. What he needs to check on is where this will pace the wheels. You want to make sure they touch in the same relative place as the stock setup.

All the gear legs are different lengths, with the -9's being the longest.

Check with the engineers at Van's they may be able to tell you which engine mount will be best to modify. I say "modify" because the -6, -7, & -9 will all be too wide for your -8 and will probably need to be cut down.

As mentioned earlier, a Rocket engine mount may work fine.

Check the drawings, I know in the -7 & -9 there is some stiffeners that get riveted in placed where the gear towers for the A models normally go. This may be an issue for you, I don't really know.

Last edited:
Per Vans tech it can be done

Per Vans, based on the stage I am at (bottom forward skin not on yet; i.e. I can get to everything without drilling off anything) it can be done easily.

I just need a sub assembly kit ($350) from Vans with towers and some additional pieces. Then follow plans for 8 install.

I also have several local builders who have several 8's under their belts who agreed.

Thanks!

Will you be posting any pictures when you get started? Is there a part number for the section you need, or is it a list of parts? I have a project here that I will be doing the same on when I finish my current 8.

Thanks for finding this out!!

Will post photos for sure

Yes this apparently is a fairly common question and I've read a lot of responses that vary a lot. But it appears to be very straightforward.

I have re-built a Cessna 185 (in a third world setting to FAA standards), and Cub and have a lot of professional A&P experience, so not too worried about it, as it is a new build and not a ground-loop project

I go down to pick up the project next Monday and have it in the garage by Wednesday. But I also have several web development projects (www.fly4life.org & www.iamanet.org) getting ready for Oshkosh on behalf of EAA and two other clients.

Once I get a handle on those I will set up an RV-8 page on my personal website. Bookmark this URL as it will be the home of the project (nothing there yet though):

http://www.junglepilot.org

Follow-up

Had a good conversation with Ken from Vans at EAA. The process is thus:

Remove the skins forward of the spar. Truth is, most haven't been put on, so no major issue there. Just drill out about 50-100 rivets or so.

Then order a sub assembly ($350) for the 8 with towers and outside skins (pre-punched).

Follow instructions and common sense and your done.

Sounds like a lot, he said, but really doesn't look to do be anything major. I am guessing a weekend job. Yes, though, I agree, if it were truly a QB kit, this would be much more work (i.e. more to remove).

As already stated, I brought both a Super Cub back to life from a box and a Cessna 185 [which was a hull], then flew the 185 as missionary pilot with MAF over Amazon rain forest for quite a while.

Bottom line, I know my own personal limitations and this appears to be well within my limits with margin to spare.

When I get my build site up I will thoroughly document the process for everyone.

gear legs

If you end up going with the -8 gear legs i have a new undrilled set with in and out blocks i will sell for 700.00

Does Grove still sell their one-piece aluminum main gear for the -8?

That might help simplify the conversion too.

Last edited:
Sounds good! Your sight looks great, I really enjoy seeing the Jungle 206 video. Thats the model I learned to fly in. Looks like good times!

Back