What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tailwheel bolt failure

armondo

The bolt in my tailwheel sheared. Tailwheel made by aviation products part # 6101. Can anyone recommend a replacement bolt? Armondo

Many of the RVs at the Livermore Airport have replaced the bolt with a tapper pin. They are who I copied when my bolt sheared 10-years ago. I do not remember the size but remember that it was between 3/16 and 1/4 inch diameter.

GET ME A PART#

GET ME A PART#

And I will see what may be a better fastener.

But........Under what conditions is the failure happening?

In some cases, better to have a bolt shear than destroy structure.

Be careful out there.;)

If we're talking about the spring-to-socket attachment, why use only one bolt? The spring already had two holes. A single bolt in the more forward position has several drawbacks, not the least of which is drilling a new hole in the spring in a highly stressed position.

Fit is important. This drill jig was clamped to the spring undrilled, then drilled using the spring itself as the drill guide. Then the tailwheel was added and drilled the opposite direction using the drill jig as a guide. Nice tight holes.

Last edited:
Here's related info for the other end of the tailwheel spring:

I want to pass on a little tidbit here about the bolt that holds the tailwheel spring to the tailwheel weldment. I drilled mine per Mark's instructions and found that the bolt went in too easily--this should be an interference fit (once again, my savior the "big-***" hammer should be used to put the bolt in). I wrapped a piece of scrap aluminum around the tailwheel spring and could twist it with a pair of vise-grips. Not good! If there's any play here, the bolt can eventually fail or the hole will become elongated. I have heard of failures in these bolts on RV's . Rather than taking my chances with a larger bolt and it too not being correct, I decided to fix it with a taper pin which worked out very well. Here's the recipe:

AN386-2-9A taper pin (aircraft spruce)

AN975-3 taper pin washer (aircraft spruce)

B&S #2 taper pin reamer (http://www.mscdirect.com/MSCCatLookup2.process?MSCProdID=02054021) (1/2 the price of AC$)

12" long tap handle (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45206)

The taper pin has the advantage that if the pin ever loosens up, you can just tighten up the nut and things should be snug again. The taper pin is an odd-sized Browne & Sharpe #2 taper, so don't confuse it with other -2 tapers.

I highly advise that the final hole size should be reamed with a hand-reamer .001-.002 under-size even if you don't use a taper-pin. There are too many variables with drilling to final size with a hand drill. Bob Japundza

From my old website, www.vincesrocket.com

I'm one of those RV's from LVK that did the taper pin per Danny Parkers Advise 13 yrs ago. Still tight and working good. Larry-- Now Flying out of DVT with other taper pin converts.

Ordered the parts...

I'm one of those RV's from LVK that did the taper pin per Danny Parkers Advise 13 yrs ago. Still tight and working good. Larry-- Now Flying out of DVT with other taper pin converts.

Thanks for the "recipe" Vince.
My thoughts are to remove the spring, taper-ream the hole in the spring just shy of what is needed, re-insert into the tail and finish up in assembly. It is a bit tight trying to do it all in assembly, certainly could not get a 12" tap handle on it.

use a drill motor

I used an electric drill motor to turn the tapered reamer very slow, with lots of oil. Do one, put the pin in tight, then do the other. Worked great.

Also, with 2 taper pins, use the AN386-1-9, no need for pins as bit as the -2 when you have two of them. And use the B&S #1 reamer.

Here is a picture of the taper pins installed on my RV-6. Highly recommended. I used the hand reamer as described in Vince Frazier's post above. Also, you will need a good set of leather gloves and plenty of cutting fluid. It takes a little time and a couple of blisters. I staggered mine, not sure this was necessary, but my AN3 bolts were kind of close together, so I thought this was the best way.

016.jpg

I think the shear force on AN3 bolts is greatest when doing a hard 90 degree turn while taxiing, and this is what causes the problem. Add a bump while doing this and you're asking for trouble. :) Interestingly, there is NO shear force when the tail wheel is in trail. The taper pins are a good preventative measure!

[I just wanted to add that the initial drill size before beginning the taper operation is a size "G". I worked up to it using several intermediate sizes. This allows you to get the taper started in the hole.]

Last edited:
Loose bolts

The standard AN3 bolts that come with the kits are slightly undersized for this application. There is a lot of flex at this joint and any looseness will auger out the hole with time. If you already broken bolts then the taper pin repair is a good fix. For those of use still working on new stuff, put in a close tolerance NAS bolt there before you go flying. My RV-6 (first one) has over 500hrs on it with no issues.

Is the two-bolts-horizontal the standard configuration for bolts in the tail? My -6 came with one bolt horizontal and one vertical. I can see arguments for and against this, but haven't done the math to see if one is stronger than the other.

Yes

Is the two-bolts-horizontal the standard configuration for bolts in the tail? My -6 came with one bolt horizontal and one vertical. I can see arguments for and against this, but haven't done the math to see if one is stronger than the other.

Two horizontal is standard.

Back